Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Metroid Chrono Project

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Please note that the following is a METROID fangame that will require work.
[center][img]http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr211/digitizedCo/BetaLogo.png[/img][/center]
A 'Short' History and description of the Project:
The Metroid Chrono Project was originally started quite a while back with a few members of fanfiction.net, but after our initial rush of ideas and though process, we were left a vague story beginning, a few enemies, items, and a neat new boss. In March of 2009, I began to toy with the idea again, and did a little beta-mapping, as well as creating a more in-depth version of the new boss.
Currently, I'm trying to get the project up and running with plenty of people to help.

The actual fangame will center around Samus's past (but will deviate from the manga), exploring the other side of Zebes as well as enlarging Chozodia and Tourian. The game will switch between using the Zero Suit (with some much better weapons than that crappy pistol) and the Armorsuit, but keeping in mind that the game strives to be non-linear or at least very close.

Obviously, I'm going to need a bit of help, so If you're willing to help with any of the Jobs below, email me at e(dot)phazon@gmail(dot)com with a sample of your work and I'll welcome you to the team. Also, please note you may sign up for more than one.

First off, the Planners. These guys/gals have the nifty job of working out an accceptable storyline that doesn't need to be completely linear. Then you have the Artists, who get to do concept art and the completion screens. Then the Bestiaries, who get to play god and create new enemies and items for Samus to mess with. Next up, the Coders, who will be coding the game in whatever language/program they choose (provided they all use the same one or the ones used are compatible with each other). One of my favorites, the Spriters, who will be taking the ideas and turning them into the two dimensional pictures that will be on screen. Also, the Mappers, who will build the planet's maps. Last, but still important, the Musicians who will create the music. If your skill is exceptional in your specific group, you could become the Lead of that group.

1. Planners(2-4)-Bill Reezer
2. Artists(1-2)-ArcaneAssasin
3. Bestiaries(2-6)-Takeshi-dono, ArcaneAssasin
4. Coders(2-?)-
5. Spriters(2-5)-
6. Mappers(2-3)-
7. Musicians(2-3)-Chef Nonsense

The developer blog will be located at www.metroidchrono.blogspot.com, and I'll update here every once and a while once the project gets going.

Posted

[img]http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr211/digitizedCo/BetaLogo.png[/img]

History:The Metroid Chrono Project was originally started quite a while back with a few members of fanfiction.net, but after our initial rush of ideas and though process, we were left a vague story beginning, a few enemies, items, and a neat new boss. In March of 2009, I began to toy with the idea again, and did a little beta-mapping, as well as creating a more in-depth version of the new boss.
Currently, I'm trying to get the project up and running with plenty of people to help.

'Plot':The actual fangame will center around Samus's past (but will deviate from the manga), exploring the other side of Zebes as well as enlarging Chozodia and Tourian. The game will switch between using the Zero Suit (with some much better weapons than that crappy pistol) and the Armorsuit, but keeping in mind that the game strives to be non-linear or at least very close.

Progress:
Mapping- More than 1/3 of beta maps complete(15%)
Coding- has not been started(0%)
Planning- Upgrade path laid out on paper, final battle on paper(25%)
Bestiary- Items done, working on 'pipe baddies'(10%)
Spriting- 3 beta-map rooms mocked, base tileset for training grounds complete(Less than 1%)
Art- has not been started(0%)
Music- has not been started(0%)

Any Help Accepted!

Posted

Sounds cool.

I'm not interested in an official job, as I've got stuff on my plate already, but I might sketch up some stuff for you if I have spare time.

Good luck with it. ;D

Posted

Thanks! Perhaps you could make a better logo or something...

Posted

I'd so help on this.

Too bad, though.

Posted

What? Are you saying you'd like to help or not?

Posted

I said I'd so help on this.

Too bad, though.

Posted

Okay then. I'm still confused, but whatever.

Posted

[u][/u]

Posted

And that means? Anyways, update.

A First Glimpse of Zebes...
The planet Zebes is going to be quite a bit more in depth this game, mainly exploring the other side of the planet, but Crateria, Chozodia, and Tourian will all be expanded. We've got some of the areas here:

1. The Training Ground- This area is basicly a tutorial level where Samus will get the Morph Ball, Bombs, and Missiles.
2. Chozodia Minor(Name not Final)- Story use, as well as some upgrades for the Zero Suit.
3. Snow Fields - This little bit of surface leads to crateria as well as the ice fields above glaceria
4. Ice Fields- The surface of Glaceria and probably a missle cache
5. Upper Glaceria- the top half of Glaceria, this area is filled with slippery floors and easily broken ice.
6. Lower Glaceria- This area could be split into two areas, really. The very low piece is very watery, and there are ice platforms in the water, whereas the rest is like a laberinth of ice.
7. Water Themed Area- Think of Maridia, but bigger and with some fun Zero Suit Parts.
8. Swampy Area- Quicksand, destroyable terrain and pits all over the place, with plenty of plants
9. Technological Area- This is a Zero Suit area. No spoilers for you.
10. Ruined Area- Also Zero Suit. Still no spoilers.
11. Desert area- Well, it has lava, and mirages and fake walls and floors all over the place.
12. Crateria- The same as ever, just expanded a bit.
13. Chozodia- " "
14. Tourian- " "
15. Caverns- Some of upper Brinstar and maybe a little of Noirfair

And that's the areas- Well, some of them.

Trying to live up to the dream...
So, while still waiting for a team to sign up, I've been thinking about how awesome AM2R and Metroid: SR388 are looking, and how we could make this project 'live up' to them. So far, I've come up with some good ones.

First off, I'm thinking of using a particle engine for a lot of things, such as the beams and speed booster, to achieve a more professional look. Plus, then the spriters don't have to do as much work.
Secondly, adding a reflection engine, so that you can see Samus in doors, ice, walls, floors, and water if it is shiny enough.
Lastly, Friction and Gravity will not always be your friends. Remember that.

Posted

[quote name='Corrupt One' post='216788' date='Apr 19 2009, 02:34 PM']So, while still waiting for a team to sign up,[/quote]

You're waiting for people to sign up to start working on it? You just want other people to do it? :/

Posted

No, waiting for other people to help.

Posted

[u][/u]

Posted

That awesome graphic makes me want to help.
Too bad, though.

Posted

Edit: added newer members to the list.