Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Something's been bugging me for a while...

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay, I see this happen all the time. Not much on this forum, sadly do to the lack of active new members, but I see it happen. A newbie will start a topic and someone will say "it's already been a topic" and close the topic. That's fine, but when that same person goes to bring back the old topic and revive it, he gets "No reviving old threads. I'm locking this."

What the heck is that? If we want new members to be active, why treat their topics like that? Let's try getting rid of one of those rules. Preferably the one about starting a topic that has already been a topic, because it would be a headache looking back for old topics.

How about this:

If a topic is inactive for more than 3 weeks, it's dead and should be locked. If someone would like to bring back the topic, they need only make a new one. While this will bring more spam topics, it will avoid trouble that new members seem to run across in forums. Ultimately, I believe Hyrule.net's active member count should improve, if only a little.

I will also request that some of the other members that tend to lash out on new members please refrain until they realize you're only joking.

Hopefully this will be considered, because I would like Hyrule.net to be a friendly and inviting site, unlike many of the other forums out there.

Posted

Its kind of a double standard, I know. Thing is, some threads are worth resurrecting and I generally dont lock threads unless they're going to spam hell which means I should close it to save giving lots of people warnings (which works out to be less work for me at the end of the day). That aside, Most of the time its not worth locking a thread unless we have two or more threads doing the same thing.

Posted

I agree with ZuZu. Moderators can use their discretion.

Posted

to further elaborate on my previous point :

If people are resurrecting old threads for the sole purpose of continuing the discussion, i see nothing wrong with it. no matter how old the original post was... within reason - ie dont go posting in every single old thread.

some users might give the resurrector some crap for it (I dunno, some people just seem to be against it?), but all in all its probably a good thing. Afterall, some discussions never truly die - politics, religion etc.

Posted

Many people don't share your opinion, though I'm glad you see it that way.

Posted

I bring back old topics periodically if I have something to add... Like zuzu I have no problem with it as long as it's being done for the right reason. :)

Posted

Good :)

As long as the mods are aware that this does happen and will try to prevent new members from catching crap about it, I no longer have a complaint.