Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tribal Families

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Do you ever wish we lived as tribal families did? A big group of people living in close proximity, all hanging out, all a family. These days everyone is so separate in their own little house, rarely interacting with those nearby. These days there is so little social interaction between people. As I've gotten older I've become more aware of how isolated adults are here (I don't know about other countries).

Think about it... how often do your parents hang out with friends or doing anything socially?

How often do YOU? A lot of our younger interactions are in school and then going out with friends occasionally. Once you start driving that often increases a lot, but how nice would it be to have all your friends within short walking distance and be able to see them whenever you want?

Also, our culture encourages us to branch out and leave our friends behind. How strange is it that we encourage people to go off to college, move far away for a 'good job', while leaving people behind? Friends and family are what's important in the end yet our focus puts so much on jobs and making money that we waste our lives away and die missing out on a lot of important interactions and enjoyment.

I often feel I was born in the wrong time period or culture. I don't understand America, or many other cultures, most of the time.

Posted

I'm kind of anti-social, so it's really not that much of an issue for me.

Posted

I don't need all of my family close together. There would be a war. A VERY large war.

As for friends... I dunno, doesn't bother me much because I know I'll be around a bunch of them at college. Maybe I read this wrong...

Posted

That's not a problem in my neighborhood. Everyone's friendly. In fact, I just got back from a family get-together at a neighbor's house, and prior to that I was hanging with two of my friends for many hours. I do stuff like that frequently.

Posted

I don't need friends. I have the internet! :joy:

It's true. Aside from my parents, brothers, and the 7-year-old kid down the street, the only people I talk to is you guys. And I tell the truth here. I lie to people in face-to-face conversation all the time. I've never told a lie here.

I'm so pathetic. :cry: And tired. If I were fully awake I never would have wrote this.