Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I need some advice on a matter

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok, so about one or two weeks ago, I received a letter from my school. Basically it said, I was invited to join the National Society of Leadership and Success, Sigma Alpha Pi (heaven knows why:unsure:). They have live video conferences (with whom I have no idea) leadership training, etc. My mum thinks its some sort of fraternity, so she obviously has no idea what its all about (big help there). La de da, didn't really care much, time went by, forgot about it, and oh hey, look it there, the deadline's today (woops).

So, I figure, why not. I start filling out the application, and then I'm reading, and this poo seems pretty serious. I don't know whether is was something on there I read or the $75 dollar induction feel, but I'm starting to consider this thing seriously.

So, any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated, cause quite frankly, I'm not sure what to do. It'd be a nice thing to have on my resume, but I don't want my college years to be a living hell because I joined some neo-nazi leadership group.

They offer refunds, so I'm guessing they allow a "trial run" for new inductees of sorts. That's the silver lining in this cloud, if I understand it correctly.

So, yeah... Advice?

Posted

I say go for it. It can't hurt, and you can quit and get refunded.

Posted

Hmmm. =| I suppose that's true. Maybe I'm just freaking out over nothing...

Posted

It sounds like a fraternity. If you plan on focusing on your studies, I wouldn't do it, unless you feel that you can balance your time wisely. Personally, I wouldn't pay the induction fee before I knew what was going on, but hey it's your life, so do what feels right. Do you want to do this?

Posted

It sounds like a frat, but I really don't think it is one.

This is the site

https://societyleadership.org/

I suppose they could have both the frat. and sorority versions... But I don't know.

Do I want to do extra work? Not really. But on that note, it could also be a way to make some new friends at college, since no one from my high school is attending (to my knowledge).

Hence me stuck at these very annoying crossroads.

Posted

It's up to you, man. Arcanelord's right, you can always get a refund.

Posted

"Membership dues are a one time registration fee of seventy-five ($75.00) dollars and there are no additional dues. Upon being inducted, you are a member for life. Upon completing the steps to be inducted, your certificate, membership pin, T-shirt, and other membership items will be mailed to your chapter advisor and you will be inducted into your school's chapter of the Society. Check or money order memberships must be submitted via postal mail using our paper application."

Member for life is the bit that scares me... But looking at it objectively, I think it's just saying that I only pay once. So I guess I'll join. Thanks for the advice.