Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I'm seventeen, dammit.

20 posts in this topic

Posted

80% of my highschool friends who 'knew what they wanted to do' are now doing something completley different. Even if you go to college and dont like it you can drop out and start somewhere else. its no big deal. just about everyone does it. Some people dont even know what they want to do at the age of 25 or 30.

Posted

I'm 12 going on 13, and I kinda know how y'all feel, cos it really does feel like the world NEEDS you to know what you want to be. I've lost count of how many people have asked me, "What do you want to be when you're older?" I just want to shout at them "Dude, I'm a kid, how the hell should I know?!"

I know I'll probably end up in a job involving English, it's where my strength lies.

But I like art aswell.

And Drama.

And Music.

And I feel I have a knack for Modern Language, too.

ACK! WHY ARE WE SO PRESSURED?! :cry:

Posted

Thanks for the support, guys. I knew I wasn't alone, but still. Blargh.

Magatama, I'm like you. I love English and literature, and I love Spanish as well. I definitely want to become fluent in Spanish in the future. I also love music as well (though I don't play any anymore) and I'm no artist, but I love working with graphics.

I have thought about being a graphic designer or a web designer, but...I don't know. I don't want to say it's not "up to my standards" (my parents have high expectations, you see, they want me to go into the medical field) but I just don't think I could live off of something like that, especially if I turn out to be only mediocre at it. Who knows, I might have a knack that I haven't discovered yet. I certainly hope so :/

Or maybe something in foreign relations? That would be cool too. But I would never be as good as the people that are already fluent in 409385 languages, y'know? I really try to live my life along the lines of a certain quote: "Whatever you are, be a good one."

Posted

You seem luckier than me...My mom kept bugging me to decide what I want to be since like...grade 5. But, my dad doesn't seem to care much, as long as I get something that is good.

Posted

What also doesn't help is Peer Pressure. It genuinely sucks. You try as hard as you can to be the best you can be, and you face repremand. EVEN if you're having fun too. I suppose it also effects your choices in life. Take my Dad for example, and he's often told me this. When he was at school, (in the 70's and 80's 8D) the 'popular' career path was engineering and mechanics, all that physical stuff.

And so, by following the herd, hes been in a deadend printing job for most of his life. Even though he has a kewl talent for ICT. (Damn, it feels weird talkin' about my Dad like that :embarrassed:)