Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

2D v.s. 3D Zelda

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was inspired to create this topic, a debate/discussion on your standpoint on 2D or 3D when it comes to The Legend of Zelda (or any game for that matter, I'm just focusing on The Legend of Zelda series). I don't think I've ever heard of such a discussion on these forums, nor is it an aspect that I've gone over with my friends personally.

Which do you think is better? Do you think that 2D Zelda games should come back, we havn't had one of those since TMC (ST and PH were made in a 3D, buttheads. >:C)

I generally prefer 2D, they just seem to have an original feeling to them. There's just something about looking at something old like that, like LA, one of the best LoZ games in my opinion. Of course, I, one who was forced to play Fallout 3 in black-and-white, think that if you drain the color from 3D graphics, it seems a bit boring. It can be great if used correctly, but it's not too appealing to me. While LA in black-and-white was still interesting. I do have an agreement with 'Xizor', the co-webmaster of thelegendofzelda.com, who believes that you'll have to base your opinion on two aspects of these different times of graphics. The time-period aspect of the game and the game development/and immersiveness. I personally thought that TP's Hyrule Field was very empty, even though the 3d games are more immersive and complex... I look back on OOT's overworld and I come to realize that too was full of a lot of dead space, with an enemy placed every now and then. Traversing over the overworld is just boring to me now, there wasn't a lot to keep me interested concerning that. In OOT, I find myself just goofing off, as opposed to a game TMC, which I really only focused on the actual story. I suppose where 2D has failed, 3D has come through, vice-versa. The 3D games can be really great, graphic-wise, amazing cutscenes, and interesting puzzles.

The overworlds of the 2D games were much more interesting filled up much more, much more was going on. Despite it being 2D, the overworld didn't feel so flat. I personally like exploration in games, and I'd expect it to be a BIG part of The Legend of Zelda. I'd like to see that in the new Zelda Wii, an immense but well-developed overworld. The 3D games seemed very rush to me. Peons, I was born in the age of the Atari! Or at least I had an Atari when I was a child... I played a lot of those classic games, growing up. Their style appeals to me much more. Boss Battles in the 3D games were a snap, a piece of cake with me. I may have died once or twice in a boss battle, when it came to the 2D boss battles, mobility was much more restricted. It took my years to beat OOS because of General Onox, that byastard. It's not even like Boss Battles are better on 2D, or if 3D puzzles are much more greater/difficult. The NPCs in the 3D games were a lot more expansive and interesting, expressing themselves in a better way.

Of course, that stuff isn't dependant on the graphics. I look back at 'Alundra' (a game I still have yet to complete), the puzzles are amazing... The game is known for it's difficult and interesting puzzles, and it's a 2D game! The Overworld may seem a bit uninteresting in certain areas, but it is in no-ways flat. The overworld is really interesting and there ARE levels, cliffs that show depth and distance. You can even walk behind them, sometimes there are hidden paths between them. It created a sense of 3-dimensions with sprites. The characters were interesting and their feelings and expressions were often apparent. It was a game that could really upset you and instill emotion in every fiber of your being! Not to mention, I've died several times (boss battles and not). Even LTTP was able to do this with it's overworld and boss fights. So it's not like 2D games can't have the ability to express feelings or greatness, and this was a game published on Sony's original Playstation. This also goes without saying, 3D games are not beyond improvement either. Even an older game like OOT was still great.

EDIT: I just realized that there's a Zelda Game Discussion forum, I think that this would much rather fit there better.

Edited by Vio Milanor (see edit history)

Posted

they are doing the 2d style with metroid. if it is successful i rekon they will try a 2d zelda again

Posted

There is definitely some 3D in DS Zelda, but the dungeons (read: core Zelda-type segments) have 2D sensibilities at their core; don't let the polygons fool you. And FSA was fairly recent as well. So in that sense, 2D Zelda is still kicking, and since that is the case, I personally don't expect to see a "2D" comeback for Zelda any time soon. The only exception to that would be if Nintendo decides to go the Mega Man 9 and 10 route by revisiting graphical limitations, and I'd be very surprised to see a full blown Zelda title like that ever come out of EAD, given their devotion to the series.

Posted

~ Moved on request.

I liked the SNES/GBA Zelda series, but OOT, MM, WW, TP where good too. I depends on the kind of Zelda game story and stuff.

I mean Wind waker really shouldn't been in 2d or high grapics style. Toon is good.

Lttp/Minish Cap is toon/2D and its fine.

OOT might be great as 2D Handheld version, but it would have a bad effect on the gameplay.

As you can see every Zelda game has its own kind of shape. And its great. (IMO)

Posted

3D

Posted

i like the 3D

Posted

I personally love both.

Thank you Ocarina of Time for 3d-ness!

Posted

i love both if i was forced to make up my mind i could not choose

Posted

I guess I biased towards to 3D because I haven't played any 2D Zeldas, apart from LttP and OoS.

Posted

well i guess i like both because i <3 mm and oot AND alttp.

Posted

It all depends on what I want at the moment. 2D games have greater difficulty and harder bosses (including Onox, the hardest Zelda boss in my opinion), while 3D games have more interesting scenery and more wisually appealing dungeons.