Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Books You've been Reading

28 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been reading classics lately. I'm reading Dracula because everyone talks about the classic and I'm clueless T_T.gif and so far it's pretty good. Better than Twilight, but that's just my opinion *holds up hands defensivly*. I've also started up on the Odyssey. I know the story, but never read it so I began. Yes I'm reading two books at once as I tend to do. Oh, I forgot, I'm reading Lord of the Rings Two Towers. I have seen to movies countless times and I love them, but oddly enough I never read the series. Ever since I became a real fan I decided I should know the whole story, not just the movie. So, yeah, I'm reading three books n_n.gif

Posted

Yay for Dracula! If you like it, try reading Frankenstein. It's much the same, though with less violence and more philosophy. But it's not boring philosophy, I assure you.

Posted

Yay for Dracula! If you like it, try reading Frankenstein. It's much the same, though with less violence and more philosophy. But it's not boring philosophy, I assure you.

I love philosophy so I am intrigued happy.gif Do you care to provide me with a description becausse the most O know of it aside from a walking monster is what Young Fraknenstein by Mel Brooks tells me sweat.gif BTW that movie is as funny as hell laugh.gif But I haven't seen any violence so far in Dracula...hm...I am now curious and want to start reading! I'm in the first part where you are reading a bunch of letters in between Mina and Lucy.

Posted

The book's somewhat different than the movie. It starts with letters from a sea captain in the Arctic Circle writing back to his sister. His ship gets trapped in some ice, and the crew sees a guy on a dogsled racing by. Hours later, they find another man floating on an ice raft, who is in bad health. The captain takes him in and the man introduces himself as Victor Frankenstein. While recovering, Frankenstein relates the tale of how his monster was created, and how he's pursued it. The book concludes with more of the captain's letters, telling how things ended up.

Posted

World Civilization AP edition

By: Some guy who writes words that put people to sleep

Posted

The book's somewhat different than the movie. It starts with letters from a sea captain in the Arctic Circle writing back to his sister. His ship gets trapped in some ice, and the crew sees a guy on a dogsled racing by. Hours later, they find another man floating on an ice raft, who is in bad health. The captain takes him in and the man introduces himself as Victor Frankenstein. While recovering, Frankenstein relates the tale of how his monster was created, and how he's pursued it. The book concludes with more of the captain's letters, telling how things ended up.

Hm, sounds cool. I know the movie isn't like the story; Mel Brooks is silly like that :n_n: Though, does the captain persue his dream of creating life from a dead body as the society around him riot about it?

Posted

Yes I'm reading two books at once as I tend to do.

Why stop with two?

Right now I am re-reading the first six books of the Keys to the Kingdom, penned by Garth Nix.

Posted

Hm, sounds cool. I know the movie isn't like the story; Mel Brooks is silly like that :n_n: Though, does the captain persue his dream of creating life from a dead body as the society around him riot about it?

Not quite. First, it's Frankenstein, not the captain, who creates the monster. He also does it largely in secret, and throughout the book only a handful of people become aware of its existence.

Why stop with two?

Right now I am re-reading the first six books of the Keys to the Kingdom, penned by Garth Nix.

Another good series! Have you read the Abhorsen trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen) by the same author? It's quite a bit like Zelda, but with a female main character. Anyways, worth reading.

Posted

Not quite. First, it's Frankenstein, not the captain, who creates the monster. He also does it largely in secret, and throughout the book only a handful of people become aware of its existence.

Another good series! Have you read the Abhorsen trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen) by the same author? It's quite a bit like Zelda, but with a female main character. Anyways, worth reading.

Intriguing...I'll give Frankenstein a bit more consideration. Tell me more of this Abhorsen trilogy please.

Posted

I've been reading a book called "Doomsday Book." It isn't the actual Domesday book, but it's about a near future in which Historians go back in time to see things first hand. And so a Historian gets permission to go to the Fourteenth century, even though its rated a 10 on the danger scale. And she's the first one to go. And predictably, things go wrong, especially the fact that she accidentally gets sent 28 years late and is thrust right into the middle of the Black Death in England.

Holy shit, this book is scary.

Did you know that the average lifespan for a person in that century was 38 years? That was, if they didn't get infected with something before that, burned as a witch, killed by cut-throats or rouge knights.

Oh, and the rape. Especially the rape.

Posted

Intriguing...I'll give Frankenstein a bit more consideration. Tell me more of this Abhorsen trilogy please.

There's a lot in it, but I'll try:

In Sabriel (the first book), Sabriel is the daughter of the necromancer Abhorsen, and travels to the Old Kingdom to rescue him from the Land of the Dead. Using her small collection of spells, a sword, and a companion or two, she must venture into Death and free her father before Kerrigor, a fiendish man who has cheated death for two centuries, breaks free.

Sorry for the cheesy summary; it's the best I can do at the moment (other than saying that it's Zelda with more magic and a female lead). It really is much better than I made it sound.

Ammonsa, the book you're reading sounds really interesting. Who's it by?

Posted

There's a lot in it, but I'll try:

In Sabriel (the first book), Sabriel is the daughter of the necromancer Abhorsen, and travels to the Old Kingdom to rescue him from the Land of the Dead. Using her small collection of spells, a sword, and a companion or two, she must venture into Death and free her father before Kerrigor, a fiendish man who has cheated death for two centuries, breaks free.

Sorry for the cheesy summary; it's the best I can do at the moment (other than saying that it's Zelda with more magic and a female lead). It really is much better than I made it sound.

Ammonsa, the book you're reading sounds really interesting. Who's it by?

A ) Gotta remember the title

B ) Wonder where on earth I can get it T_T.gif Kind of have a small library