Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miyamoto trying to boost fun to increase sales

51 posts in this topic

Posted

Video game icon Shigeru Miyamoto is speaking about Nintendo's future in how they create games. However, he's referencing past sales to try to increase the quality and overall fun of his and Nintendo's future projects.

------

While analysts spent 2009 backing away from any notion that the gaming business was "recession proof," one historically shrewd industry watcher is bucking the conventional wisdom. In an interview with [url="http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2010/03/wisdom_miyamoto"][i]The Economist[/i][/url] published yesterday, Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto blamed [url="http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6246425.html"]the industry's lower sales for the year[/url] not on financial worries, but on the games themselves.

"The fact that in 2009 we were not able to sell more than we did in 2008 was simply that in comparison, we were not able to produce fun enough products," Miyamoto said through an interpreter. "There are always ups and downs in this business. As long as we create unique and unprecedented experiences with video games, there should be nothing to worry about."

Miyamoto also talked about online gaming in the interview, explaining that Nintendo was late to the party because the company wanted "to take sufficient time to make it a proper business." The developer also acknowledged that it's not just his employer's stance that has kept him from making online-focused games to date.

"I think it is obvious that when everyone is connected online, there will be enormous opportunity for me to create something really unique," Miyamoto said. "But my job is to try to entertain as many people as possible, and I see all Wii owners as the audience. Of course, we have Mario Kart, which can be played online by multiple people. So we are gradually expanding the experiences using the Internet, but my own personal focus is to try to entertain people, even if they are not connected to the Internet. That is my first priority."

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/

Posted

It kind of sounds like there might be Wifi in it too!
I hope so! I would love a 1 on 1 battle!

Posted

I hope so. I'm starting to lose my faith in a good Zelda game after PH and ST. :( Though those were handheld and weren't meant to be that good, but whatever.

Posted

Spirit Tracks was AMAZING.
It was the best game since Wind Waker!

Posted

Just keep telling yourself that. xD It was better than WW and PH though, but not by much.

Posted

Im sorry, im sorry, but personally I think TP raped everything. Im now preparing to be heckeled

Posted

I liked TP. It was challenging and fun. ST was hard and unforgiving and [spoiler]it never told you what to do in half the quests. >_< [/spoiler]

Posted

[quote name='Chrno' date='26 March 2010 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1269638258' post='290135']
Im sorry, im sorry, but personally I think TP raped everything. Im now preparing to be heckeled
[/quote]

TP wasn't even close to WW.

Posted

Sahaqiel's right. Wind Waker is by far better than Twilight Princess. Is Wind Waker better than Ocarina of Time? In my opinion, no, but it isn't far behind at all. They're both in my top 5 games of all time, along with Resident Evil 4, Path of Radiance, and Final Fantasy VI.

Posted

Im playing windwaker at the moment, and although im interested and enthusiastic about it, nothing has really said "WOW" to me like MM and TP did. It just needs something, and I cant put my finger on it :S

Posted

You're probably thinking realism.
You wh[i][/i]ore.

Posted

Im not a whore, im a slut thank you very much

Posted

That makes it worse. You're a whore that doesn't even get paid.

Posted

[quote name='Sahaqiel' date='27 March 2010 - 12:22 AM' timestamp='1269649322' post='290178']
That makes it worse. You're a whore that doesn't even get paid.
[/quote]

Thats the way I like it :P

Posted

[quote name='Young Link Addict' date='26 March 2010 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1269638484' post='290136']
I liked TP. It was challenging and fun. ST was hard and unforgiving and [spoiler]it never told you what to do in half the quests. >_< [/spoiler]
[/quote]

You know what else was hard and unforgiving and didn't tell you what to do in your quests? The original Zelda. Man that game beat the shit outta everyone, random crap you had to do, no hints, came down to hard exploring and long hours. It was awesome......

Time to go dust off the NES now......