Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Music Taste/Trends

14 posts in this topic

Posted

There's plenty of threads of favorite artists by now but I'd like to make something a little more in depth. Share which genres or facets of music you like or dislike, how your tastes have grown, opinions on society's taste, whatever. Just give us a good idea of your music taste.

Here's my cluttered beast:

I'll start with dislikes I guess. I like to think I have a wide taste but I admit I can be a bit picky. First off, I do not like rap. Hip-Hop is usually bearable, but it's still not my cup of tea. Country/Western bugs me in general, but folk is often fine. Disney Pop and similar singers are all monstrosities that must be destroyed. I don't like screamo/excessive yelling/demonic growling/whatever the heck Opeth and death metal bands think they're doing. I don't like emo or most punk, but grunge is fine. Classical music usually bores me, but I'm not against orchestration from other periods. As far as electronic music goes, I don't like Trance. Dance music is usually too similar or the same as Trance so count that out too. Anything else depends on the artist, not the style.

Now onto likes: A vast amount of my music can and is tagged as Indie. I love various types of Rock and Roll, especially with Blues influence. Classic Rock is still awesome. Electronic music is often pretty good, but I'm a little pickier; Heavy industrial and ebm stuff is what I generally prefer. Alternative is good. I don't mind when electronic is fused in rockish music, but I prefer it when bands use distortion to achieve the effects, like Muse. A mix of both is totally fine. Jazz is a good thing to mix in, but I usually don't listen to it pure. I don't listen to much metal because they're usually screamish or just too satanic and aggressive. Most of the metal I listen to regularly is Progressive, namely, Tool. This is all pretty general, of course. There's plenty of exceptions and oddities that creep into my music library.

Lately I've noticed myself listening to a lot more Math Rock and Post-Rock. And So I Watch You From Afar, Battles, and Mogwai are some of my recent fancies.

Posted

Why don't you just listen to music for the sake of listening to it.

As in don't hate any kind of music.

Posted

Its ridiculous to hate a kind of music. I just have preferences.

Posted

Why don't you just listen to music for the sake of listening to it.

As in don't hate any kind of music.

He can't help the fact that he doesn't like certain genres.

Posted

I never said "hate". There's just some things that don't please my ears. Don't tell me you've never heard music you don't like.

Posted

Ugh. I've made a real mess out of this, haven't I? I'll try to clarify.

I think you only made this thread to talk about your own tastes and then see the responses. I don't think you care about anyone else's tastes.

To be honest, that is part of the reason, but I really am interested in other's tastes and was looking forward to some good discussion. That sure backfired.

You don't listen to a single Industrial or "Indie" artist and you have no idea what either of those words mean.

The only band that you have even heard of that could possibly be considered EBM is VNV Nation, and they are puppying Synthpop.

I tried to avoid listing artists as much as possible in this thread. It's not an artist thread, it's a taste thread. Don't judge me by this thread or the small and outdated list in my profile, please. Also, VNV's style changes from album to album. Only their last three CDs I'd consider very synthpop. Others weren't really at all, except a song here and there. But we can argue about that later if you want.

I see you wrongly accuse "death metal" bands like Opeth of yelling and demonic growls. Opeth does neither of those things. I think you were just trying to think of a "death metal" band and Opeth was the first that came to your mind, even though you've only heard one song and have no idea what death metal is. And you don't know what Progressive Metal is. Opeth is Progressive Metal. I think that it's very unlikely that you like progressive metal, I think you just like Tool. If you did like progressive metal, you would definitely like Opeth. You're either just claiming to like the genre because it's another genre that you can add to your list, or you have no idea what you're talking about, or both.

Ugghh. I'm well aware Opeth is Prog Metal. I didn't say it was Death Metal. I said "Opeth and death Metal bands". Go listen to "The Lotus Eater" by Opeth. That's what I'm talking about there. I also didn't say I didn't like Opeth, they're instrumentals are cool, I just don't like the vocals, so I haven't listened to them much. Maybe their other songs have cleaner vocals, I don't know. I'm sure not all Death Metal bands are like that, but all that I've heard are so I decided to look elsewhere. I only have a freaking 8 GB iPod so I try to be picky. :/

Also, I don't think you really have a taste. I think you looked at your iTunes library and said "I must like this genre" if you had an artist that could be considered in that genre.

Oh my freaking asdfjasl;dkjfas. Don't get me started on iTunes' genres. They are so off or too vague on every artist. Believe me, if I started judging music by what iTunes classifies them as, hell would have frozen over.

(Said I have too many quotes so:)

"You list "Indie" and "Electronic" music as stuff that you like. What?"

They're general terms. I tend to like genres that fall under those labels.

---

Sorry I'm terrible at explaining things. I always have been, and you should know that by now. I'm going to try to start this over from scratch and hopefully we won't have these misunderstandings next time. My bad. ):

Posted

LL, could you give me an example of an Indie band? Like Pavement or what.

Posted

I Generally agree with you on likes and dislikes, Arcane.

I really like any songs that fall under the "rock" category as long as they aren't too country or too heavy metal. Of course, like classic a bit more than you do. Jut keep me away from anything that screams at me or is labeled hip-hop.

And don't worry about disliking genres; it's perfectly normal.

Posted

Saying rock doesn't mean anything. Rock is such a broad category.

Posted

Then what's the point of this thread?

If you haven't listen to them much, then don't generalize about them. And I've heard the song.

I am still interested in hearing your list of "Industrial" artists.

To judge taste, not artist selection.

You're right, I shouldn't. I apologize.

Ok. Tweaker, VNV Nation, Assemblage 23, Nine Inch Nails, Orgy, and Funker Vogt. Maybe more, though honestly I'm not entirely sure how to define Industrial music. It's pretty vague and more aesthetic then anything, from my understanding.

Posted

puppy genres. I couldn't be bothered making sure everything was right so I highlighted every track in my library and changed the genre to "Music".

I'll just use some Last.fm tag apps.

normal_thumb.png

That's for overall.

I'll find something for recent.

walkmanffuuu.png

I haven't been listening to much music this week though.

Posted

Technically NIN is Industrial Rock.

Also, according to Last.fm I'm into rock, classic rock, 60s, folk and blues

Posted

Funktabulous

Posted

No.

But if you like those, you should try Gary Numan and Depeche Mode. None of these are industrial, though.

I like Depeche Mode. My dad has lots of Gary Numan so I'll check out some of his stuff. Thanks.

I checked Last.fm and all of them are tagged Industrial. Maybe you disagree but most people think they are, it seems. Also, Nine Inch Nails has always been credited for popularizing industrial. They're the iconic Industrial band.