Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I got Braces

39 posts in this topic

Posted

Well yesterday was the big day for me as I got my braces. Yeah, I was a bit unsure because I knew they were trying something new on me, but aside from the tedious wait and uncomfortable feeling of getting them put on, they're fine. Yesterday I felt like clawing at them and screamming "GET THEM OFF!!" but of course I didn't :P I ate for the first time with them and can only drink through a straw and they feel reallyt weird. I wanna know if any of y'all had/have braces and if you have any good stories with them or any tips for first timers like me. By the way, here's a picture of me as a brace face: post-9374-1276133639588286_thumb.jpg

Posted

Oh, braces. Just give it 18 hours, they'll start hurting.

I had braces twice, once when I was 10 to get my four front teeth straight (that lasted 6 months), and then again when I was 14 with a full mouth for about a year and a half. They hurt, food gets stuck in them, rubber bands suck, they're hard to brush and floss, and your lips get torn up. Have fun! :>

Posted

Thanks Cirt, but I barely ate and brushing was hard :/ and rubber bands in about 6 weeks then springs (whatever those are). Like you avataar by the way

Posted

They hurt a lot at first but eventually you will almost forget that you have them. It actually feels weird when you get them off! The pain is worth the straightnesss!

Posted

Eh, when I had braces, the things I really hated about them were:

a. They add "bulk" to my teeth, which made my lips, and the area between my lips and nose, sort of stick out farther than they usually would have. I hated the way my profile view looked.

b. They messed with my speech. It was just...different, trying to talk around those brackets. I sounded semi-retarded sometimes.

c. For a while, the brackets would rub against the insides of my lips and make them hurt. The wax helps with this, but after a while, my lips got tougher, so it didn't hurt any more. But, still, it was less than pleasant.

d. Getting spacers put between my back teeth. OW. I couldn't eat anything remotely chewy!

e. Being a braceface. It made me look like a kid, especially with how frizzy my hair was back then. And I never smiled with my teeth...ugh.

Posted

Yeah I feeling all of that. Spacers, is that that liquid they put in your molars that harden to keep your braces from touching? I got those and I can't chew anything. I'm living off of soft things (pasta) and drinking through only straws and when I brush 'em it's so weird. I have no idea how I look with them; good or bad. I just gotta wait a few more months and I will have normal teeth thankfuly. As compared to my weird vampire look I had before.

Posted

First of all, omigosh!! Gael's back!!!

*cough* ummm.... Yeah, anyway. I've got braces right now and have had them for about 3 months as of yesterday :P When I first got them on I seriously was in agony, but now I'm just like 'hey, it's cool' :) the teeth straightening part, not the braces, that is.

I absolutely HATE it when food get stuck in the brackets :( it's sooooo annoying. Not to mention when the elastics snap when they're in your mouth (I've had them on since I first got my braces.)

I totally simpathize with you and your mouth, by the way :) I know what it's like and how much they hurt :(

Posted

Yeah, I've been doped up on Aleve so no pain really, just soreness. I haow if anything touches my teeth though they hurt a lot and I can't chew anything or even open my mouth that wide. Thanks for the sympathy, I just hate the bulk as well and how long it takes to brush 'em :|

Posted

Right now I have top and bottom braces. Oh, spacers are the plastic discs they put in between your teeth so they can put bands in (the part of the braces that go around your molars, as opposed to the brackets, which go on you front teeth).

Posted

Yeah, Gaels mostly right...

My advice.... NO HARD CANDY.

Yeah... I didnt really talk much at all when I had my braces.... hardly anybody even knew me... so the delimma about the looking weird.... I found out if you dont talk, no one can see them....

The problem eating food.... Try drinking lots o milk. It should help strengthen your teeth.

As for getting food stuck in them, Some local pharmacies sell "brush picks". They are these flexible toothpicks with a brush thingy (for the lack of another word) on the end... They work quite well.

"My weird vampire look I had before..." I WANNA SEE!!!

I think they work very nicely. smile.gif

(By the way, My vampire teeth look even better now!)

I think everybody should post pictures of what they looked like with braces....

Posted

Yeah, Gaels mostly right...

My advice.... NO HARD CANDY.

Yeah... I didnt really talk much at all when I had my braces.... hardly anybody even knew me... so the delimma about the looking weird.... I found out if you dont talk, no one can see them....

The problem eating food.... Try drinking lots o milk. It should help strengthen your teeth.

As for getting food stuck in them, Some local pharmacies sell "brush picks". They are these flexible toothpicks with a brush thingy (for the lack of another word) on the end... They work quite well.

"My weird vampire look I had before..." I WANNA SEE!!!

I think they work very nicely. smile.gif

(By the way, My vampire teeth look even better now!)

I think everybody should post pictures of what they looked like with braces....

Go to the picture I posted and take away braces. I really can't take a pic no since they are all gone, but lemme see if I have one (I never smiled with my teeth). Hm, best pic I got is herepost-9374-1276323028513614_thumb.jpg I swear you'll probably start calling me that now :squint: Yeah, people shoud start posting pics

Posted

lol, Why would people call you that?

And here is a picture of the effects of braces... (WARNING: I dont smile very much, so that is probably why I look weird....)post-9925-1276325914287116_thumb.jpg

Also... I know I might looked stoned... But I swear, I have never, and never plan on, doing drugs or smoking...

Posted

You don't look stoned, but if that's the result,s I better keep good shape of these things so I can get straight teeth ;)

Posted

lol. I have alot of people tell me I seem stoned... Probably because the way I talk/act.... And yes! Take care!

Posted

Well ignore 'em and I shall