Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I'm gonna build a computer. Whaddya think?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok, since Vista was released it is impossible to buy a new computer with it installed. Therefore I am going to build one myself, what do you think about it. Got any tips or hints or anything?

I plan on using Linux as the OS...

Posted

Honestly, what are you looking to do on your custom computer? If gaming, uh... Windows is honestly the way to go, unfortunately. I mean you can use WINE to run some games very nicely in *nix, but they won't run at full power. I've tested this myself, and Half-Life 2 runs, but it only uses Direct X 8 power graphics.

Posted

Kk, thanks, though WINE has been replaced by newer software (can't remember what its called)

I don't game much anymore on the comp, don't have the cash for a start. I just need to be able to use Java and, probably, Flash plugins for whatever browser...

Anyway, I'm more interested in hardware, I wont really need anymore than 40 GB in my hard-drive. And I'm aiming for a decent processor & amount of RAM, atleast 512 MB maybe 1 GB. Enough to run it at a good speed. The internet stuff is more up to my mum than my choice... I'll just connect to the router.

Posted

O.o That... Is going to be interesting. Make sure to get a before AND after picture so you can cherish your work before it blows up. :P Just Kidding... But you NEVER know! *shifty eyes*

Posted

i built a computer last year and I will pass on my tips to you.

• Use a esd wrist strap when you are putting in a motherboard, ram, ect. don't wear just socks on carpet.
  • Make sure all the components will fit and work with the type of motherboard.
  • Get a powerful power supply if you want vista on it get a 1g-2g ram and a 3-5mhz processor.
  • Get an airflow tower one that has vents and fans.

Here are some stores that have good hardware for your computer for cheap...

New Egg

Posted

best prices on the net.... cheap!!! www.tigerdirect.com