Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A Link to the past

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Chris Houlihan room

The Chris Houlihan Room.

The Chris Houlihan Room was a secret room incorporated in the game before its original release in the United States. Sometime in the early 1990's, Nintendo Power held a contest where a lucky subscriber could be selected and have their name hidden within a secret room in the game. Houlihan was a Nintendo Power reader and subscriber who won the contest in which the winner's name would be included in the hidden room in the game. In the Super NES version, the room could be accessed by entering the hole under the bush near the castle wall within the first few seconds of starting a saved game file. Several other locations have been reported as potential entrances to the room, as the game program sent players to Chris' room whenever an error condition occurred while loading the next screen. It is not present in any subsequent build of the game, nor in any version released in Japan.

The Chris Houlihan room had a message on a tile on the wall and 45 blue rupees (225 rupees total). It could be entered many times, but the rupees could only be taken once. After going out of the room, players were transported to the outside of Link's uncle's house, even if the secret room had been accessed in the Dark World. In the Game Boy Advance port, they removed Chris Houlihan's name out of the room and removed any way to reach it, with the exception of using cheating devices such as Game Genie or GameShark.

Seeing as the Virtual Console version of A Link to the Past is exactly the same as the SNES version, the Chris Houlihan room is still in the game.

post-3552-1172304371_thumb.jpg

This quote came from the: A link to the past page of Wikipedia

So give them credit not me (if you were going to give me credit.)

I'm sure a few people know about this but whatever.

Also here's a video of how to get in.

Posted

heh kool, ill keep that in mind when i get it on the VC.

Posted

it was in nintendo power if i am correct. the one with the top 5 zelda secrets

Posted

I knew about it. ^_^

Posted

I thought that was the room thadt you used to first get into the castle.

Posted

Lucky Chris.

That is awesome.

Posted

I've heard of that in the top 5 secrets, just like Soi Karuna

Posted

Same here.