Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The timeline in general

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Alright, so. I've decided to address the time line split, and record my theories on it. Yes, this theory acknowledges that there is a split in the time line. I personally think that its pretty obvious there is a fork at this point, and I stand by this idea. This thread and theory is based off this assumption.

In a recent discussion in a different thread (link, discussion is page 12), It was acknowledged that the upcoming skyward sword game is very likely to be the origin story for the master sword, and Link. While I can agree that something as material as the sword can have a beginning and, eventually, end to it, I find it hard to believe its also the origin story of the Link character himself. Granted, this is also very likely to be the beginning of Link's time engaging with the world of Hyrule, and the video game series as we know it. I'm not saying it isn't. One thing that I bare in mind when I look at skyward sword as an early Zelda game, is that I don't want to so quickly dismiss it as the very first. I read somewhere in an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto that he and the other directors didn't want to look at the Zelda master document and declare that any game came first in the series, or that any game came last. Doing so would keep them from putting any stories preceding or following those games respectively.

However, I'm not looking at this time line as a situation of putting games before or behind each other. I just wanted to proclaim the above as my thoughts on skyward sword being the definitive first story for Link. I'm not here to look at games coming before or after other games. I'm here to work at the way the time split works.

See, one thing that people seem to have decided about time is that its infinite. It goes on forever, in both directions. Whether or not this is true, or that there is a beginning and end to time is a horribly philosophical question I am not addressing. This theory is founded on the facts that time is infinite and that the time line splits. So, lets look at that. Time, or rather, infinity, splits. One point on this line has changed the flow of infinity. What does this mean? I personally find it difficult to buy that the time line split and that's that. So I can think of two possible reasons to explain what is happening, what is going to happen and what has probably happened with this fork in the road. Either the split time lines are going to merge, or this is not the first time a time line has split.

The first idea I mentioned is that the two time lines are going to merge again. Why? Because in infinity, I find it hard to believe that because of one instance they will stay separate. I'm certain the goddesses are working to reunite the two lines somehow. The question is, how? How do you reunite a world where everything is submerged by water with a world where everything isn't? Does one hero simply come from one line to the other? Do they both meet in a new time line? Do the two gradually recombine just as they gradually grew apart?

Honestly, The only reason I bothered suggesting this first theory was to compare and contrast with the second one. I also like entertaining the idea of a link from the Wind Waker series with a link from the Majora series. And to me, it gives an opportunity for Nintendo to have a co op Zelda game that isn't four swords. A console 3D co op Zelda game.

More logically, the second theory i gave suggests that the time line has split more than once. Why? Because The first time the line split, it was split so simply. It was split not as a great feat that defined the series itself, but as a means of defeating Ganon, which happens every other game. Princess Zelda sent Link back with her own power. Power a princess possessed. I cannot in good conscious suggest that shes the only princess in all of ever that was strong enough with magic to bend time like that. The ability to do so was embedded in a sword for chrissakes. Powerful sword that only the hero could wield? Sure, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist. And in a series where games are constantly being introduced before and after each other, however cryptically they may be placed, isn't it safe to assume that by going back or forward far enough you will find another place where time splits?

Essentially, this is really just applying the theory of the Multiverse to Zelda's way of time splitting. Not that its constantly happening, but that it does in fact happen, has been happening for eternity, and will continue to do so. I think this theory of time lines constantly breaking into more time lines.makes much more sense than one time line merging. Though, it does bring up more questions in themselves. Will Nintendo bring about a second time fork? When? What does this say about the Gods? Do they have no control over time?

How many of these Split Links wield the Master Axe?

Posted

This thread and theory is based off this assumption.

There isn't an assumption, other than the split timeline is an assumption? It's been proven via interview.

"How do you reunite a world where everything is submerged by water with a world where everything isn't? Does one hero simply come from one line to the other? Do they both meet in a new time line? Do the two gradually recombine just as they gradually grew apart?"

Isn't that what you're supposed to be suggesting ideas for right now?

"Honestly, The only reason I bothered suggesting this first theory was to compare and contrast with the second one. I also like entertaining the idea of a link from the Wind Waker series with a link from the Majora series. And to me, it gives an opportunity for Nintendo to have a co op Zelda game that isn't four swords. A console 3D co op Zelda game."

I agree, but stop trying to make this into Gears of Zelda.

"It was split not as a great feat that defined the series itself, but as a means of defeating Ganon, which happens every other game. Princess Zelda sent Link back with her own power. Power a princess possessed. I cannot in good conscious suggest that shes the only princess in all of ever that was strong enough with magic to bend time like that."

The defeat of Ganon didn't cause the split. Actually play the game.

Zelda had the power to bend time, because she had the Triforce of Wisdom, and Nayru made the laws that govern the land, which would include time. Alternatively, you could say she owned the Light Force touched upon in Minish Cap, but its power is assumedly not as extensive as the powers of a goddess of creation.

"The ability to do so was embedded in a sword for chrissakes. Powerful sword that only the hero could wield? Sure, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist. And in a series where games are constantly being introduced before and after each other, however cryptically they may be placed, isn't it safe to assume that by going back or forward far enough you will find another place where time splits?"

No. The split occurred because of a time related issue, not because it was bound to happen eventually. Also, you could easily suggest that the Harp of Ages caused time to become warped or split, because it did the same thing as the Master Sword. More, in fact. The Master Sword only truly made time lurch backwards, because when he went forward, he was really only asleep for seven or so years. Forward is a waiting game, backwards is legitimate time bending. The Harp of Ages was a fully fledged time warping device. It preserved Link's age forward and backward, and spanned 300 whole years. It's much more powerful than the Master Sword, and traveled through time much more effectively than Zelda's seven year backward lurch, which didn't even really change anything other than placing Link back where everything started so he could warn people of the events to come.

What does this say about the Gods? Do they have no control over time?

No, the goddess/es definitely have control over time. This is evidenced by the artifacts that wield their power, and the oracles that were spawned from namesakes. And if you are to question this, you would be saying the Triforce does not, in fact, have infinite power, despite its ability to grant any wish, and it's only an imprint the Goddesses left behind as a parting gift. It's a trinket they made that can bend the three essential creations. Matter, Life, and Laws. That pretty much everything. In a trinket.

"How many of these Split Links wield the Master Axe?"

Every time you say this, I want to ram my fist right through your face.

Sahaqiel

Posted

You two kids need to have sex already. The tension is sickening.

Posted

but stop trying to make this into Gears of Zelda.

Someone should draw and post this. That is all.

Posted

You two kids need to have sex already. The tension is sickening.

Seconded. Your child would have the voice of a goofy robot!

Posted

First of all, that child would be a cyborg Sylvester Stallone and it would conquer the better half of our solar system.

Second of all, my points weren't that the ability to shift time was in a sword and not a princess or harp or vice versa. I know that Zelda didn't send Link back in time to stop ganon, because ganon was already defeated at that point. I was trying to point out that the ability to travel forward and backward through time is not all that uncommon in the Zelda universe. Given that, combined with the fact that time is infinite, isn't it safe to assume there's a lot more than just one split?

And what does me wanting a 3D co op zelda game have to do with gears of war?

Posted

'Cause you're all up in GOW, and Zelda is a 3D third person video game.

Also, I would say it's fairly uncommon, since the ability is only given to pretty hard to reach artifacts and deities' items and whatever.

And who's to say the Goddesses won't just end it all one day? If time is infinite, that is a definite possibility.

Posted

Man, I can enjoy third person video games without combining them. You don't see me playing gears of galaxy 2.

While the relics and abilities to manipulate time through the games may be rare, as time is infinite, the time it takes to access each relic is relative. And I can't say the goddesses will or wont bring about the apocalypse. I'm just saying there's plenty more than one split in time, probably.

Also, I've been meaning to ask this, because I have no knowledge on the subject. Did ages ever do anything to the timeline, or what?

Posted

Also, I've been meaning to ask this, because I have no knowledge on the subject. Did ages ever do anything to the timeline, or what?

I'm betting it did, but it's never touched on enough by other theorizers.

Also, I agree with you, LL.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Time scribble is probably a better way to describe it than time line, sure.