Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Link talks?

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I was looking at the beginning of Ocarina of Time, and I noticed something weird about the conversation Link has with Mido if you talk to him without a sword and shield. At one point, it almost seems as if Link is responding to Mido within the text box here is the quote I'm talking about:

What?! You've got a fairy?!

Say what? The Great Deku Tree

actually summoned you?

Whaaaaaaat?!

Why would he summon you and not

the great Mido?

This isn't funny...

I don't believe it!

You aren't even fully equipped

yet!

How do you think you're going to

help the Great Deku Tree without

both a sword and shield ready?

What? You're right, I don't have

my equipment ready, but...

That underlined part is where it seems like the conversation switches to Link. It doesn't make much sense for Mido to say something like that; he isn't about to visit the Deku Tree, so why would he need a sword and shield? This is still at the beginning of the game, so maybe the developers planned for Link to respond to more characters in the game, but the idea was scrapped. Or maybe it's a poorly translated line?

Posted

I think Mido is telling this to Link to get him to go away. My guess is that Link is giving him this look that says, "You don't have a sword or sheild either so why are you blocking my way?" Mido responds with that.

God this was a lot easier to explain in my head.

Posted

Link did respond, but you don't hear what he said. Link said something to the effect of:

"But Mido, you don't have a sword or shield either."

and Mido said:

"You're right, I don't have my equipment ready, but..."

Mido was upset that the Great Deku Tree chose Link and not himself. So he came up with some bogus excuse as to why Link couldn't go see him. Link was just pointing out that Mido wasn't any more prepared than he was.

Posted

Haha

I remember when I first played OoT and when Mido said that, I was like "did he just replied to what I was thinking O_o" oh the memories

Btw Mido is repling to Link's question

Posted

Link rarely communicates to people verbally. Instead, he STARES INTO THEIR SOUL, sending the person all of his thoughts in a single glance that resonates with such power that some are moved to speak aloud what they see...... Mido was merely saying the words that were reflected in Links eyes, the words that echoed through his uttermost being.....

Posted

Or perhaps Link speaks the same way as wily coyote.

Posted

During Twilight Princess, when Link talks to Ilia on horseback, he's actually talking. His mouth moves and everything.

I'm pretty sure that's the only instance of that happening.

Posted

C'MON, Shaq. Don't you remember Wind Walker?

Posted

He doesn't really say "Come on!". That's some p. big misinformation.

If anything he's saying "Hora!" which is a Japanese equivalent, but if you listen really closely, he's not saying anything.

Posted

He responds to people with grunts and facial expressions. That's essentially what I do.

Posted

Noo but in TP he was literally speaking with mouth movements that could be equated to actual language.

Only, you couldn't hear any of it.

In retrospect, that aspect really did alienate me from Link's role. I was like, "Dude, Link's doing something without me. ):"

Posted

I like how Ocarina of Time did it. Twilight Princess focused too much on Link's pretty face. In Ocarina of Time, every time it insinuated that Link responded, he was always facing away from the screen. That way you couldn't see his mouth move.

Posted

Maybe they could make a secret ending where Link gets to talk, like they did in Chrono Trigger. That would be pretty cool.