Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Yume Nikki

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Alright, I want everyone to try this game out. It's called Yume Nikki, and its probably the best freeware game out there for download.

There is a link to version .10 in english right here. Just download it and run the installer (make sure your have software for RAR files too).

The whole process is very easy and takes about 5-10 minutes, so everyone should be able to do it in their free time. Anyway, about the story:

So, you play as this girl who lives alone in her apartment. There's not much to do here except walk around, save your game, play on the NES, or go to sleep. But when you do go to sleep, you enter an intricate and enormous dream world. There are 12 doors, but many more places than that, as some areas are connected to other areas. The objective is to find 24 "effects" in the dream world by interacting with random objects and denizens of the dream, but the fun of the game is exploration. There are walkthroughs for finding the effects and seeing the most exciting events, but I'd try doing most of the work on your own.

You guys can use this topic to discuss all the great stuff in this game.

Posted

What

Could you at least just tell me what this game is?

Any information at all would be wonderful.

Posted

Oops. Forgot all about that. Edited the first post. :embarrassed:

Posted

Oh right, I heard about this game with twelve doors. I'll look into it later.

Posted

Yes, there is a huge resemblance to Frank in here. most of the desert regions really give off that vibe.

Also, I'll just post this video here of my favorite event (mission to mars) to get more interest going.

Posted

Ooh, you get to change how your character looks, I'm sold and am currently downloading (at least I think I am)

EDIT: Okay, I am highly confused here can you please give me instructions on how to download this correctly because I do not seem to have the ability to open the file

Posted

You need to be able to open RAR files. applications like winrar and 7zip can do this (you can get winrar here, just choose the version you want from the list)

Posted

Oh, okay I shall download it than

Thank you for informing me on what to do :>

Posted

No problem. :D

Posted

This game reminds me highly of "Higarashi" for some reason

Posted

RAR and .rar extensions are one and the same.

Yes, I know that winRAR and RAR files are old, but this game came out years ago. Even version .10 is pretty old by video game standards.

Posted

Opened, installed, played.

Quite the sketchy game. xD The settings for your dreams are pretty ridiculous.

Posted

Essentially, the dream world sticks with the Freudian idea that dreams are manifestations of the subconscious, so it helps if you try to find what each element says about Madotsuki, the main character.

Namely, you find out what a disturbed and traumatized character she is. :squint:

Posted

From what I've seen, it seem she was raped by either a family member or a teacher, and the only person she felt safe with was the piano dude

Posted

Yeah, her platonic relationship with Seccom Masada (piano guy a.k.a. my favorite character) is a popular theory. Her being raped is also pretty commonly discussed because of FACE and his phallic cohort, KyuKyu-Kun.

Of course, the most terrifying denizens of the dream world are the hardest to decipher the meaning of.