Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Vibram KSO's

18 posts in this topic

Posted

SO I went out a couple weeks ago looking for a new pair of running/workout shoes that would help me maintain a high intensity workout while not making my knee flare up. After talking to a lot of people, including my podiatrist, I picked up a pair of the Vibram five finger KSO's. If you haven't seen these, they are ridiculous, they are a thin vibram sole, and are toe shoes. Yep, they have a pocket for each individual toe. I was skeptical, but they store gave me a week to try them and take them back if I didn't like them.

The whole idea is to make it like being barefoot, but with some protection. this lets you stay in line naturally better, and in many cases reduces injuries and flare ups of chronic pain, especially in the lower body.

IMG00061-20110527-2208.jpg

IMG00060-20110527-2207.jpg

I have to say, after two weeks of use, they do exactly what they are meant to. I've gotten to the point that unless I have a reason to wear a more traditional shoe, I wear these all the time. I love these things.

Posted

How much were they?

Posted

Seen 'em. Some runners swear by them, I never had them when I ran competitively (I was a Cross Country guy) because that was a few years before they came out. I would give them a try if I ever got serious about running again, but I don't bother unless that happens.

Posted

How much were they?

These were $85, the classics are $65, some of the more extreme models that go up to $100-$115

Seen 'em. Some runners swear by them, I never had them when I ran competitively (I was a Cross Country guy) because that was a few years before they came out. I would give them a try if I ever got serious about running again, but I don't bother unless that happens.

I've done some running in them, they are great, it's a totally different running style than what you would be used to. But they are great for biking, just working out, and as I have found, just wearing around. If you start running again, you should give them a shot, they are less expensive than most dedicated running shoes.

Posted

Thats not a bad price if they work as well as you say they do. I might look around a few stores here.

Posted

Does it hurt more when your feet get stepped on?

Posted

Only one authorized dealer in Australia, per their website.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/eng/dealers.aspx

But yeah, they are worth a look, probably not for everyone, but they are working great for me.

Does it hurt more when your feet get stepped on?

Well, yes, it's like if they were stepped on while barefoot. I try to avoid that in any case, as this is usually what's on my feet if I'm dressed up a bit more.

066615_89_p1_550x550.jpg

Ostrich doesn't like being stepped on.

Posted

That site is blocked for me because parental controls block it for some reason. When I use a proxy it doesn't let me locate the store. Would you be able to tell me where it is?

Posted

Barefootinc

Address: 266 Bronte Road

Waverley NSW 2024

Phone: +61 2 9387 1000

Fax: +61 2 9387 1099

Email: [email protected]

Web: www.barefootinc.com.au

Posted

Thanks, I'm going to look at buying some. I take it they don't work as well with things like ballsports?

Posted

I don't think I'd wear them for most ball sports, I wouldn't want to be kicking a soccer ball or getting tackled in them or anything like that.

Posted

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Because I doubt it'd help much if I was trying to kick a football or anything like that.

Posted

I have a few friends who wear these all the time. Vibram, I think, is just the name of the support. I have a pair of Chaco's with Vibram soles and they're the most supportive shoe I own. I can't walk around in regular flip flops anymore because of them. They're really good for your support, which in turn, helps posture and other back/spine issues.

Posted

I have a few friends who wear these all the time. Vibram, I think, is just the name of the support. I have a pair of Chaco's with Vibram soles and they're the most supportive shoe I own. I can't walk around in regular flip flops anymore because of them. They're really good for your support, which in turn, helps posture and other back/spine issues.

There is actually no support at all in these shoes, it would be contrary to their purpose.

Vibram is an italian company that makes a very specific type of rubber, and makes the rubber soles for pretty much every brand name shoe that you see in stores.

Posted

Ah, that makes sense. I just assumed they made the soles because their logo is on the bottom of my Chaco's. lol. But the entire shoe is made of rubber (except for the straps), so yeah. I see now. But I do love them, even if they were $90 hiking sandals lmao