Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GDC, Miyamoto's Keynote Speech

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Here's the transcript for Miyamoto's GDC keynote speech, fully edited and reversed so it ought to be easier to read now.

The speech itself was fairly devoid of announcements, but there were a few small things, such as being able to play super mario galaxy before the end of the year and a new channel being worked on which lets you compete with other people's miis in small contests.
Certainly an interesting read nonetheless.

Full speech after the jump

------

18:30 Keynote speech scheduled to start

18:39 The speech seems to be running late, no sign of Miyamoto yet...

18:47 Still no sign of Shigsy, apparently one of the stewards is wearing a kilt, not sure why you need to know that though...

18:55 Everything should be set up by now, did Shigsy decide to go complete twilight princess again?

19:01 Finally it's starting, just half an hour late...

19:04 A translator's helping out so Miyamoto can speak easily in Japanese, he's using the wii's photo channel to help with his speech

19:05 He's wearing a Zelda Pin badge, nice, talking about the success of goldeneye in 1998 now

19:06 Now talking about the development into games like GTA and Halo and how people always ask him about the effects games have on people

19:07 "they were changing into some kind of zombies, this worries me" I think we may have a new quote for his hyrulewiki page

19:08 "Players themselves seemed only to want more of the same kind of game. We as developers felt we had to make these games in order to sell them, so this was a period where Nintendo and myself found ourselves at a crossroads

19:09 There are three elements to Nintendo's corporate vision. First the expanded audience "maybe you've already heard too much about it by now..." he's probably right there...

19:10 Miyamoto's showing the "wife-o-meter" showing how much his wife is interested in games and using that to work on the expanded audience.

19.12 His wife doesn't play games much, she didn't like Tetris but thought there might be hope when she watching their daughter playing ocarina of time (wooo!). Then when he told her that there were no enemies to fight in animal crossing, she agreed to touch the controller.

19:13 Miyamoto loves dogs in case you didn't know, showing off the recent poll on the everybody votes channel where it was shown 60% of wii owners like dogs compared to cats 40%

19:15 It wasn't until his wife starting seeing games like nintendogs that she became more interesting, but it was brain age that really got her into it.

19:16 On valentine

Posted

Cool=)
"20:10 You WILL be able to play mario galaxy this year...he says... "

I thought the smg was going to get released in europe sometime in march?!

Posted

"It would be more normal to find Donkey Kong eating at my dining table"

rofl :D
yeah a good read, some interesting bits.

Posted

good :D

Posted

20:18 "If we can combat my wife, we can combat anybody". And so it ends...

Shiggy is a very funny man. He should be a comedian. :D

Posted

Woot! lol, his wife was pretty much introduced to games by games with the Touch Generations logo on them. Nintendogs and Brain Age.... :D

Did Aonoma talk yet? Hope he reveals something about Zelda Wii.... :unsure:

Posted

That's real great. Hopefully, we'll get Super Mario Galaxy at some point...that game looks promising. And the Mii thing sounds neat as well.

Posted

Whatever happend to the AI on the wii where you could make youre own games?

Posted

You're thinking of the xbox 360 in that respect

as for smaller developers being able to put the game they make on the virtual console to download for a small fee, that's on the way, but due to the hgih demand for the console, most of the smaller unlicensed devlopers havn't had the chance to get dev kits.

Posted

What are Miis exactly?

Posted

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOySJmL4MaU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOySJmL4MaU[/url]

I loved how he talked about his wife and the wife-o-meter

Wise man indeed.