Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How the U.S. Government Actually works

9 posts in this topic

Posted

So, I'm sitting at home sick on a saturday night with nothing better to do, so I thought I would give a brief overview for some of our foreign members (maybe some of out U.S. members as well) of how the U.S. Government is actually set up.

So first things first, the U.S. is not a democracy, don't let anyone tell you that it is. It is a constitutional republic. This means that our federal government is based in a charter constitution (you can read it all here: http://www.usconstitution.net/).

Now to understand the constitution, you have to understand what it does. The constitution outlines how the government is to operate at a federal level, it is the highest law of the land, and cannot be superseded (and supersedes all other laws). Beyond defining the branches of government, the constitution also defines the jobs and responsibilities of those branches explicitly, it is also the source of checks and balances in our government. It is important to realize that any function not explicitly stated in the constitution is left to the state or the individual.

Now we have to look at the states and where things start to get a little confusing. You see, a lot of times people make the mistake of looking at the U.S. as one country. And that sounds confusing, of course we are one country, we have a national currency, we have a common military, we have a federal government. All of these things are true. But here's the thing, we are effectively 50 small countries that operate independently with the exception of defense and trade and operating on the same base charter.

That is why you see so many varying laws from state to state. While the Federal level is dealing with interstate trade and defense and human rights, the states are defining all the little things form the speed limit to tax code. This is why laws like a national healthcare law will likely never be realized in the U.S., it would be like trying to get all of Europe under one universal bill, what works for small entirely independent countries often collapses under the weight of fifty.

So what it comes down to is this, things make a lot more sense when you realize the Federal government isn't running one gigantic country, it's overseeing 50 small ones.

Posted

I remember learning in a highschool history class the philosophy, or the idea of america, has changed to a degree since it was founded. Originally where it was the united states of america, now we look at it as the united states of america. Which is to say, back in the day we used to look at ourselves as a bunch of small countries working together, whereas today we look at ourselves as one big country with a bunch of dividers. What do you think of that?

Posted

I would say that has a lot to do with many of our problems, the idea has shifted as we globalized, but our government and infrastructure isn't designed around that idea.

Honestly, I think if we got back to operating the way the country was designed to, we could work out a lot more of our problems as a nation.

Posted

Part of the problem is that states have become dependent on the federal government for funding in many areas, and the federal government can use those funds as leverage. For example, when the federal government set the national speed limit to 55 miles per hour, even though there was no way to legally enforce it, they threatened to cut off funding for interstate highways for states that didn't cooperate.

Posted

Isn't Ron Paul's whole campaign about states' rights?

it's about being texan and getting yer vote, fellow texan

Joke. I actually found this as a nice review of what little I learned in my Government class I took back in high school. I have to take a US constitution and a GA constitution (just another example of the whole "separate countries") exam so I can get credit for a political science class without having to take the class. so hey, thanks for the brief overview, friend.

Posted

I am six credit hours away from a minor in constitutional law, so if you need any help on the federal side, I'd be glad to help.

I'm no use for GA though, sorry, lol.

Posted

Also, while I'm here State's rights=/= secret code for racisim. squid you TIME magazine.

Posted

I assume you are talking about the civil war, because that's about the only time that's ever been an associated issue.

Posted

I assume you are talking about the civil war, because that's about the only time that's ever been an associated issue.

'

The 1980s?