Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

One Piece: Pirate Warriors (PS3)

2 posts in this topic

Posted

This game just came out yesterday on the PSN for $50, even though the original Japanese version was a physical disc.Here is my Mini review:

Gameplay:

This is not a perfect game, by any means, but it is definitely a fun game. Made by the studio that makes the Dynasty Warriors series, this game is actually a "spin-off" of DW but with tweaked game play. It still feature one vs dozens of enemies battles, but also include parts that are more adventure/platform/puzzle styled blended right into the same levels. At the end of the day, the creators did an amazing job of capturing the spirit of the manga/anime into the game play.

Graphics:

Perfect! I mean, the characters and environments look just like the anime, but with CG. The Characters also move and feel just like any seasoned One Piece fan would expect. The Cut Scenes are really the high-light of the game for me. They are just so pretty!!

Story:

The story follows the actual events of the original comic. Unfortunately, parts are condensed and some even skipped. I was really hopping to play the Thriller Bark arc (which would have featured Frankenstein-Zombies) but that, along with a few other iconic moments, were cut from the game. If you don't follow the comic or cartoon, you may find yourself a bit confused, but not often. Basically, this game is the perfect introduction to the series for new fans, but NOT a substitute for the actual series itself.

Other Modes:

The main story mode, "Main Log" mainly follows Luffy, but Another Log presents the game from the other character's perspective. I haven't played it yet but I've heard it features extra content, which im hopping means the amazing battles left out from Main Log. There is also a local and online 2-player co-op mode. Even if you don't have any friends to play with, you can use the random match making for online mode.

I think the coolest part of this game is just the cast of playable characters. Not only are all nine members of the Straw Hat crew playable, but also four bonus characters. And trust me, they are good ones!

Overall I'd give the game a 3.5/5 to the average gamer. However, if you are a fan of One Piece and have a PS3 then this is a MUST OWN.