Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Should Marijuana be legalized? (non medical)

46 posts in this topic

Posted

yeah that would be interesting to know. I'm thinking cigarettes....

There are no known reported deaths of marijuana in the USA. Marijuana is not possible to overdose on due to it's high LD50 and the fact that since so much is needed you pass out FAR before you could possibly ingest enough to die. Smoking it is too slow to die off of and eating it is too slow due to slow digestion. If you purified THC (the chemical from pot) and injected it right in your veins you could die but the amount needed would be so insane that it would cost you a fortune and purifying it takes a ton of work. No one shoots up THC either.

Posted

Muahaha! I TRIPLE POSTED! MUAHAHAHAHAHA *EVIL!*

In summary:

D.A.R.E., other drug programs, religious groups, and TV ads LIE to you (surprised?)

Alcohol is a drug and is much worse than pot (hundreds of times worse)

You need to research it yourself and educate yourself. Don't blindly listen to lies from people who have other agendas

You can't OD on pot

Illegal profit and crime off the illegal sale of pot is a problem. legalized, this would go away

You do not do stupid stuff like spontaneously kill your friend (as a tv ad said)

You do not lose all control. You just feel happy and relaxed. and food tastes 5000 times better.

Did I mention that TV ads and dare flat out lie and go against studies, doctors, and research?

Interesting stuff about radioactive metals in cigs: http://www.cannabisculture.com/news/tobacco/

If pot was legal, pot manufacturers would put filters on pot cigs to filter out tar

Large study finds no link with pot and lung cancer in heavy users:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID...55F83414B7F0000

I have yet to see someone smoke an actual joint. They show that on TV but no one uses joints hardly as it wastes post as it burns. Most people use a pipe. When traveling down the pipe a large amount of the resin is captured by the pipe and sticks to it so you dont inhale it. Bongs and other devices help further. They also cool the smoke.

and this one is a big one for me:

Why the HELL should the government be able to tell me what I can and cannot do with MY OWN BODY? It is MINE NOT THEIRS! Even if the purchase and sale of it is illegal it should never be illegal for me to use it once I have it. That's what FREEDOM is!

If you still think there are downsides to pot (other than smoke inhalation issues which can be avoided by taking it other ways), please say so and I will provide information/links/studies to refute what you say. :) There's pretty much no downside to legalizing it other than people being less stressful. The only thing I would worry about is the idiots who drunk drive might high drive. But those people needs to be jailed anyways. Someone that would high drive would just as likely drunk drive or do other stupid stuff.

Has Anyone Ever Died From Smoking Marijuana?

A. No; not one single case, not ever. THC is one of the few chemicals for which there is no known toxic amount [10]. The federal agency NIDA says that autopsies reveal that 75 people per year are high on marijuana when they die: this does not mean that marijuana caused or was even a factor in their deaths. The chart below compares the number of deaths attributable to selected substances in a typical year:

Tobacco...............................340,000 - 395,000

Alcohol (excluding crime/accidents).............125,000+

Drug Overdose (prescription)............24,000 - 27,000

Drug Overdose (illegal)...................3,800 - 5,200

Marijuana.............................................0

*Source: U.S. Government Bureau of Mortality Statistics, 1987

Does Marijuana Lead to Crime and/or Hard Drugs?

A. No [11]. The only crime most marijuana users commit is that they use marijuana. And, while many people who abuse dangerous drugs also smoke marijuana, the old "stepping stone" theory is now discredited, since virtually all of them started out "using" legal drugs like sugar, coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, etc.

What About All Those Scary Statistics and Studies?

A. Most were prepared as scare tactics for the government by Dr. Gabriel Nahas, and were so biased and unscientific that Nahas was fired by the National Institute of Health [16] and finally renounced his own studies as meaningless [17]. For one experiment, he suffocated monkeys for five minutes at a time, using proportionately more smoke than the average user inhales in an entire lifetime [18]. The other studies that claim sensational health risks are also suspect, since they lack controls and produce results which cannot be replicated or independently verified [19].

I just quickly gathered this stuff. Do your own research but be careful. Some of the anti-drug propaganda is manipulated and flat out lies to 'keep kids off drugs'. Parents who lose kids to heroin and alcohol tend to overreact and say its all a killer. Be sure to look at actual studies by researchers and doctors.

Posted

Ugh, my friend HAS to see this. (not the one who uses it) He believes all the anti drug propaganda.

Posted

Ugh, my friend HAS to see this. (not the one who uses it) He believes all the anti drug propaganda.

Admittedly they do a really good job at making all drugs seem horribly evil and bad even though that's untrue. Some really are horrible and destroy lives... ie heroin. There are definitely drugs that ruin lives. However, marijuana isn't one of them. It's sad that people feel they have to lie to get their point across. Accurate presentation of drugs would be much better. How do they expect kids to trust them if they lie to them about some things?

Also, how many of you that think all drugs are bad take caffeine? It's addictive. Your body builds tolerance for it so it takes more to get you high.

"Caffeine is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant, having the effect of temporarily warding off drowsiness and restoring alertness. Beverages containing caffeine, such as coffee, tea, soft drinks and energy drinks enjoy great popularity; caffeine is the world's most widely consumed psychoactive substance"

"Because caffeine is primarily an antagonist of the central nervous system's receptors for the neurotransmitter adenosine, the bodies of individuals who regularly consume caffeine adapt to the continual presence of the drug by substantially increasing the number of adenosine receptors in the central nervous system. This increase in the number of the adenosine receptors makes the body much more sensitive to adenosine, with two primary consequences.[44] First, the stimulatory effects of caffeine are substantially reduced, a phenomenon known as a tolerance adaptation. Second, because these adaptive responses to caffeine make individuals much more sensitive to adenosine, a reduction in caffeine intake will effectively increase the normal physiological effects of adenosine, resulting in unwelcome withdrawal symptoms in tolerant users"

Posted

The chart below compares the number of deaths attributable to selected substances in a typical year:

I would just like to point out that these statistics are 20 years old. I'm sure the figure's are much higher by now.

Also these are only the drug-related deaths in North America.

Posted

I would just like to point out that these statistics are 20 years old. I'm sure the figure's are much higher by now.

Also these are only the drug-related deaths in North America.

Yes, although marijuana is still at 0. :D

Posted

I don't think so, the mortality rate in Australia I know is zero, however in the US there have been 3.

Though that's not a huge figure :unsure: .

Posted

Maybe they were just completly crazy and shot eachother? Or they somehow can't pass out and had free time? Hell, I don't know but it wasn't normal.

Posted

In summary:

D.A.R.E., other drug programs, religious groups, and TV ads LIE to you (surprised?)

You need to research it yourself and educate yourself. Don't blindly listen to lies from people who have other agendas

You can't OD on pot

Illegal profit and crime off the illegal sale of pot is a problem. legalized, this would go away

You do not do stupid stuff like spontaneously kill your friend (as a tv ad said)

You do not lose all control. You just feel happy and relaxed. and food tastes 5000 times better.

Did I mention that TV ads and dare flat out lie and go against studies, doctors, and research?

Interesting stuff about radioactive metals in cigs: http://www.cannabisculture.com/news/tobacco/

If pot was legal, pot manufacturers would put filters on pot cigs to filter out tar

I have yet to see someone smoke an actual joint. They show that on TV but no one uses joints hardly as it wastes post as it burns. Most people use a pipe. When traveling down the pipe a large amount of the resin is captured by the pipe and sticks to it so you dont inhale it. Bongs and other devices help further. They also cool the smoke.

Why the HELL should the government be able to tell me what I can and cannot do with MY OWN BODY? It is MINE NOT THEIRS! Even if the purchase and sale of it is illegal it should never be illegal for me to use it once I have it. That's what FREEDOM is!

If you still think there are downsides to pot (other than smoke inhalation issues which can be avoided by taking it other ways), please say so and I will provide information/links/studies to refute what you say. :) There's pretty much no downside to legalizing it other than people being less stressful. The only thing I would worry about is the idiots who drunk drive might high drive. But those people needs to be jailed anyways. Someone that would high drive would just as likely drunk drive or do other stupid stuff.

A. No; not one single case, not ever. THC is one of the few chemicals for which there is no known toxic amount [10]. The federal agency NIDA says that autopsies reveal that 75 people per year are high on marijuana when they die: this does not mean that marijuana caused or was even a factor in their deaths. The chart below compares the number of deaths attributable to selected substances in a typical year:

A. No [11]. The only crime most marijuana users commit is that they use marijuana. And, while many people who abuse dangerous drugs also smoke marijuana, the old "stepping stone" theory is now discredited, since virtually all of them started out "using" legal drugs like sugar, coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, etc.

A. Most were prepared as scare tactics for the government by Dr. Gabriel Nahas, and were so biased and unscientific that Nahas was fired by the National Institute of Health [16] and finally renounced his own studies as meaningless [17]. For one experiment, he suffocated monkeys for five minutes at a time, using proportionately more smoke than the average user inhales in an entire lifetime [18]. The other studies that claim sensational health risks are also suspect, since they lack controls and produce results which cannot be replicated or independently verified [19].

I just quickly gathered this stuff. Do your own research but be careful. Some of the anti-drug propaganda is manipulated and flat out lies to 'keep kids off drugs'. Parents who lose kids to heroin and alcohol tend to overreact and say its all a killer. Be sure to look at actual studies by researchers and doctors.

dustin just pwned everyone :huh:

Posted

Just remember that he's not telling anyone to just go out and smoke marijuana...he's just proving that it's not dangerous as alcohol or other drugs. :D

Posted

Its ironic that he tells you all these figures and facts, then tells you to find out stuff for yourself!

which to believe??? hmmm... :D:P

Posted

Just remember that he's not telling anyone to just go out and smoke marijuana...he's just proving that it's not dangerous as alcohol or other drugs. :D

Exactly. Even though it's extremely physically safe, especially compared to alcohol and other drugs, it is still a drug and people need to be educated and intelligent about if and how they use it. It is still illegal and thus there may be consequences to its use. It is also mind altering while you're on it so you need to know you're with responsible people. It can also show up on drug tests. I would certainly suggest that people wait until they're older before using it because of these reasons. Either way, it should be used moderately just like anything. Educate yourself and make responsible decisions. Be patient on how fast you grow up: just keep an open mind while you do. Question everyone and challenge everything. You will learn a lot of useful things.

I think anti-drug people try to 'save the children' and keep kids safe by lying and saying a blanket statement that all drugs will kill you. In reality though it's much more complicated than that. Some can, some won't. I think it's much more useful to educate kids and let them decide what drugs are safe and unsafe, what amounts, etc. If you tell kids pot will kill you, and they find out it really doesn't, they may think you lied about heroine killing you (which it WILL).

Posted

I think it should be legal cause everybody can get it anyway and If it would be legal there wouldn't be so many battles between the gangs.

Cause the reason for those battles is that they want to sell their stuff there where another gang already sells it.

But if it would be legal, no one would care about those gangs.

They would just step into a supermarket and buy it.

Posted

yeah, but most gangs deal more hardcore stuff, like cokain, heroin etc. etc.

Posted

In summary:

You can't OD on pot

copied and pasted out of wikipedia.

As soon as I saw this topic, my immediate reaction was "Better vote No, after all Weed kills!" But after reading Dustins posts I have redecided. Well Done Dustin!