Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Super Smash Bros. Brawl delayed in Europe until after June 2008.

17 posts in this topic

Posted

http://kotaku.com/gaming/release-dates/eur...mmer-330738.php

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=177057

Videogamer.com has contacted Nintendo of Europe, concerning the omission of a releaste date announcement on the European Smash Bros. DOJO!! websites. Nintendo of Europe has issued the following statement: "[Super Smash Bros. Brawl] is currently not planned for a release in Q1 or Q2 next year", or until after June 2008.

Neither Nintendo of Europe or the game's creator and director Masahiro Sakurai has offered a reason for such a delay.

Japan: Janurary 24, 2008; 6800 yen (USD $61.00)

North America: February 10, 2008 (price unknown)

Europe: Q3/Q4 2008

Australia: TBA

Posted

Sucls for them. :unsure:

Posted

Isn't it, though? I'm rather curious as to why such a large gap between Japan/America and Europe... But then again, this is NoE we're talking about.

Posted

i dont know how, but it seems that America has a tight bond with Japan, though almost every single country hates america. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Posted

i dont know how, but it seems that America has a tight bond with Japan

It's because the US is the country that helped rebuild Japan after World War II.

Posted

I feel bad for whoever lives in Europe. Feel bad with me if you wish.

Posted

It's because the US is the country that helped rebuild Japan after World War II.

America's also the one that bombed them with 2 nukes....

this is bloody ridiculous though, there was news that it wasn't confirmed that it wouldn't be out in Q2 (mario kart is fixed for Q2) when the Q1 schedule was released and had a few Q2 dates (not including brawl)

However, this still means that as it isn't out in Q1, which means april at the earliest.

There is absolutely no reason for the delay though, Super mario Galaxy took about 5 days, phantom hourglass (which would've required a lot of translation) was just under 2 weeks, a high profile game like this can not have a gap between territories by that much.

April I might be able to cope to, but if it's not out in Q1 or Q2, then I will have to kill someone (and you'd be surprised how little I'm joking about this, I'm willing to book a week of leave from work to play this).

Plus Japan and America aren't that close, have a look at xbox sales in Japan to work that out, it's just that America is a much bigger market than Japan and can't be ignored. Of course the European market's almost as big as the American market as well.

Posted

America's also the one that bombed them with 2 nukes....

Which was done to quickly end World War II. After Japan surrendered, the US occupied the country for seven years until the Treaty of San Francisco in 1952. After the surrender, Japan was just as bad and war torn as Iraq is today. They were essentially the pariah in East and Southeast Asia, because no one in the Pacific wanted anything to do with them.

In that occupation, the US worked with Japan to rebuild the country literally from scratch. The US abolished the Japanese military, total monopolization in Japanese companies, completely revised the government policies and stripped the Emperor of all political power, and reformed the educational system. In short, the highly Western, modernized and technologically advanced Japan you see today is all because of the US.

Plus Japan and America aren't that close, have a look at xbox sales in Japan to work that out, it's just that America is a much bigger market than Japan and can't be ignored. Of course the European market's almost as big as the American market as well.

The Xbox flopping in Japan has nothing to do with Japan-American relations. Japanese people by nature are brand-loyaltists, trendy, and only go for what's "in". Sony and Nintendo are highly established labels there, plus the fact that they're Japanese-based companies, which doesn't hurt at all. Portable gaming is extremely popular, an advantage both Sony and Nintendo have over Microsoft. The franchises that are extremely revered in Japanese gaming culture--Final Fantasy, Mario, Zelda, Dragon Quest--have never been brought to an Xbox. And most of the games that are available on the 360 don't appeal to Japanese gamers, except for maybe Blue Dragon and Dead or Alive.

I see the markets ranked as

North America > Japan > Europe > Everybody else

No console has never debuted first in any other region than Japan and the US. Most of the world's best known developers are home based in either Japan or the US. The three biggest video game conferences and conventions--E3, E for All, and Tokyo Game Show--are only held in the US and Japan. Games usually release first in either Japan or the US before anywhere else.

Posted

E for all is tiny, in fact, other than the Tokoyo Game Show, currently the biggest games convention (now E3 has been downsized so much, if you're talking about actual size, and still only just behind if you're talking about importance) is the Leipzig games festival (which I'm going to be providing coverage for this year, w00t!).

Europe is a bigger market than Japan, but games are normally bought out in Japan first becase that's where the home of the companies are.

Also, Ubisoft and Capcom have large studios based in France and England respectively.

Posted

Also, Ubisoft and Capcom have large studios based in France and England respectively.

Capcom however, is headquartered in Osaka.

North America and Europe are the largest gaming markets; Japan and NA, however, are the most prominent. That's how I see it, anyway.

Posted

Capcom however, is headquartered in Osaka.

North America and Europe are the largest gaming markets; Japan and NA, however, are the most prominent. That's how I see it, anyway.

I said large, i didn't say main, most of the resi games have been released in Europe before the US. Minish cap was actually released in Europe before anywhere else. Capcom seems to be one of the few companies that makes up for European's otherwise lacking in gaming release dates, well, other than the Phoenix Wright games, but that's made by the Japanese studio.

Obviously Japan is the most prominent because that's where modern day gaming has originated from, mostly from Nintendo. If your talking about prominence in video gaming, Japan is far higher than the US, despite the US being so much bigger.

As I said before though, there's no reason for such a long gap between release dates, especially for such a high profile game, once a date has been confirmed and if it's any later than April I'm going to be doing something about it, whether that's a killing spree, numerous angry e-mails and viruses or importing an American wii, I havn't decided yet.

and I almost edited your post by mistake by clicking the wrong button next to reply XD

Posted

Uhm..are you guys fighting? it doesn't seem like you guys are yelling but it does seem like you guys are fighting. I was reading all your posts and i think its interesting mentioning the 2 bombs on japan, oh and japan was going to surrender BEFORE USA bombed japan, just to let you guys know. Oh and another thing, no matter what you guys say, nothing will change, Europe, USA and everything will stay the same and get the game whenever they will. Arguing or whatever you guys are doing (lol) will never have a real affect. Life is too short to be in a bad mood. Oh and i'm just bored so I picked this topic to talk in cuz i find it interesting that you guys are all into it. =] Feel free to yell at me and do whatever you guys are doing, I don't care, like i said, life is too short. =]

Posted

I'm not really in a bad mood, it's not really an argument either, more of thorough discussion.

and I was also pointing out that Japan don't have any special connection with America either, it's just that America is such a large market.

Actually, while I'm back here, according to wikipedia, the three largest markets for gaming are (in this order) America, Japan, United Kingdom. The United Kingdom qualifies as a huge gaming market on it's own, already discounting the rest of Europe, so add all that in and the market is far LARGER than it is in Japan.

Posted

Mmmm... long time but after all the long wait time we get a good game :biggrin: (I hope)

Posted

I don't mind a game being delayed but when there's a huge gap between it coming out in America and Europe, that's not exactly there to improve the game, is it?