Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap Review

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I made this Review some time ago, and thought I should share it with you all:

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap is one of the most revolutionary handheld games for its time, sporting amazing graphics that get backed up by the awesome sound.

The games storyline follows that of its predecessors, but you can notice the tweaks with it. You are Link (Well duh), one day you wake up to the call of Princess Zelda, whom Link has been childhood friends with. The reason for Princess Zelda's calling is because that same day is the day that only gets celebrated once every 100 Years, this day is known as "The Day of the Minish" (or something of the sort). The Minish are small people that saved Hyrule a very long time ago, they do good deeds for everyone that is good, but they are only seeable by children that are goodly behaved. Just before leaving, the Blacksmith Link lives with asks Link for a favour, that favour is to deliver his newly made sword to the King of Hyrule (And Zelda's father) to honour the winner of the tournament battle's being held place on that very day. The winner, is an unknown person named Vaati. By winning, he recieves the Sword made by the Blacksmith and the chance to see the mystic box that supposably holds the Light Force. As soon as the box appears, Vaati channels energy into the sword and breaks the box open in an attempt to obtain the Light Force's power. But, as soon as the box is opened, only terrible fiends are released into the Land of Hyrule. Vaati, is enraged by this and intends to kill the King, but Zelda jumps in the way and deflects the energy ball launched. Vaati then realises that the LightForce is inside Zelda herself, so he turns her into stone and then just..dissapears. After this, Link is given a task to head off to Minish Wood's, where he happens to find a....talking hat...yes, you heard me right, a talking hat. This talking hat is known as Ezlo, and is very wise despite being a hat, he helps Link a lot on his quest, and has a secret of his own.

------

Now, to move on to one of the greatest aspects of the game: The Gameplay. As you may know from The Legend of Zelda type of Gameplay, you roam free around the Land, without random encounters of enemies or any of the sort, instead, the enemies are just simple monsters that walk..well, not all of them walk, but that's the easiest way to explain it..now, back to the enemies: The enemies just walk around, while you can just approach them and kill them anyway that is possible, which is mainly just a slash or two.

Roaming the Land is great and all, but it's nice to visit Towns and places of the like. Towns have many a things to offer, such as the Local Bar's, Mini-Game shops and the Shop's that help you on your quest, like shops where you buy Kinstone's (I'll explain more of them later), Potion's, Heart's, etc. But, we can't forget the buildings where you can just walk in and chat to people, which is common in nearly every game of the Genre.

Now, we shall move forth onto the main features of the game that have been introduced: Kinstone's and Minish Form. Minish Form, is only usable once you obtain Ezlo, which is basically near the start of the game. With Minish Form, you can climb on top of the "Designated Areas"and press the R button on your GameBoy Advance to make Ezlo transform you into Minish size, which is extremely small. The "Designated Areas" are tree stumps, stones, big pots, etc that will emit a glowing light and noise whenever appoached. I can't forget to inform everyone on the Kinstone's though, can I? Well, Kinstone's are basically stone's that can fuse together with another of its kind. If you ever approach someone and a thought bubble appears from their head, it means that they would wish to fuse Kinstone pieces. Kinstone's can do many a things, like reveal hidden treasure, remove a bloackage in a path, allow you to proceed in your adventure and many many other things.

There is one last feature I would like to talk about: Figurines. Many of you may remember Figurines from The Wind Waker, well, guess what? The annoying man is back..with his lust for Figurines at an all time high. There are over 200 Figurines, but in a spiteful way, you could receieve the same type of Figurine again. The only way to get a Figurine, is by trading the annoying man Mysterious Shells, which can be obtained all over the Land, but the only way to ensure that you don't obtain an already collected Figurine, is that you trade the right amount of Mysterious Shells, which increases every time you obtain a new Figurine (Arghh, the disastruos pain).

The Graphics for this game are unsureal, because they face up to the small capabilities of a Game Boy Advance game back in its day. All the effects while running, sword swinging, enemies dying, etc are done perfectly, which is pretty amazing considering the capabilities that Nintendo had for the Game Boy Advance. The graphics in this game are actually far superior to that of some games on the Playstation 1, which is very impressive.

There isn't a lot to say about the Characters, because the game features most of the usual sports. Well to start off, we have our young Hero Link, who has been in every The Legend of Zelda up to date, so there is not much to say about him, except for he is a valiant and brave kid. Then we have Princess Zelda, the ususal heroine, but always the damsel in distress that is in need of a saviour with the name Link. We move onto Ezlo now. Ezlo is a rather starnge chracter, seeing as he is a hat, but he is very knowledgeable. He meets Link at the start of the game, and helps him through his quest, but he has a few secrets to hide. Well, what woould the game be without the Main Villain of the game? The Main Villain of this game is Vaati, he was once under the training of Ezlo, but became corrupted with power once he obtained a special hat created by Ezlo. He now seeks the Light Force so he can gain total domination of the land.

The Sound is very impressive as well, seeing as it sports the very voice that Link uses in Ocarina of Time giving it a greater amount of appreciation. You get some good tunes that mix in with the Town's, Dungeon's and Field's atmosphere that makes you feel as if you are part of the game, but they never get boring nevertheless.

Overall, this game is the best Zelda portable up to date, even the best for the GameBoy Advance. Fans of the series will instantly fall in love with this game, but it's guaranteed that Fantasy Action Adventure fans will love the game as well.

Posted

most people didn;t seem to like this game, i thought it was great, it just glitched near the end so i could never complete it :angry:

The even more interesting thing is this is the only second party zelda game that's been made, all the other ones on ninntedo consoles being made by nintendo themselves, but actually capcom made minish cap...

Posted

I love Minish Cap, it's fun! And funny...Too bad I've yet to finish it! :embarrassed: It's a good game though.

Posted

to rate youre review 10 out of 10. it tells you about the ame but doesnt tell to much but im not the best in writting so im easy to impress.and it helps that i like the game. ;)

Posted

minish cap was awsome it had a realy good feel and if it was the only handeld game i could bring with me to a deserted island it would be LOZ minish cap! :D

Posted

personally i thought it was ok because the final boss vatti was so easy.

Posted

I never really got into that kinda cartoony Link, plus, if you really think about it, Link having a talking hat is pretty odd...I didnt want to play it

Posted

I think CAPCOM also made the Oracle Games

Posted

The even more interesting thing is this is the only second party zelda game that's been made, all the other ones on ninntedo consoles being made by nintendo themselves, but actually capcom made minish cap...

Yes, Lupinlink is right: both Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages were made by Capcom. :mellow:

Posted

Nintendo ran out of time to work on console and handheld games, so all handheld games are handled by capcom now. The oracle series, Minish cap, and phantom hourglass.

Now, as for your review. It has a nice length, and its got good info. On certain things, anyways. You go on and on about towns, and gameplay. The towns werent that good, and the gameplay was normal. If you want to talk about characters, do it through the story. Explain how it leads him through various dungeons, with puzzles that are seemingly neverending. No one wants to fall asleep from boredom of zelda. Talk about the exciting adventure through hyrule, the twists and turns of the story, and how well the game is programmed. You cant just focus on some things. gotta do it all. Solidify the review and it'll be KILLER. I give your review a 7.5/10.

Posted

i wanna get it but none of the shops stock it! :cry::cry:

Posted

I am playing WW now, but my next Zelda game to take on is MC. I think I may just hang around and see if I can find a DS emulator, because I dont actually have the system.

Posted

turns out capcom's made all the handheld zelda games except link's awakening and Phantom Hourglass

Posted

I am playing WW now, but my next Zelda game to take on is MC. I think I may just hang around and see if I can find a DS emulator, because I dont actually have the system.

do you have a game boy advanced? cuz it's on gba not ds.

Posted

do you have a game boy advanced? cuz it's on gba not ds.

doh, youre right! Silly me :embarrassed: I do have a gba. I guess all of this PH hype is getting to me!