Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Fourth Goddess

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I know there's a topic about the fourth piece (Tetraforce), but this is a bit different... however, the theories may be related. While I'm not a believer in the Tetraforce, I do have to wonder about the significance of a fourth piece... or maybe, a separate, singular piece altogether.

Anyway! As we know, the world of Hyrule was created by three golden goddesses: Din, Nayru, and Farore. They did not anticipate that the creation of Hyrule would result in the creation of millions of alternate worlds, one of them being Termina. What's more is that this world that Link happened to stumble into is a parallel world of Hyrule. As we come to find out, there is another goddess: the Goddess of Time.

Is this goddess another accidental creation of Din, Nayru, and Farore?

If the three holy women accidentally created millions of other worlds, it may be possible that millions of other gods and goddesses were created. The Goddess of Time may simply be another accident.

Or is this goddess a parallel of one of the people from the world of Hyrule?

We see parallels of many people.. what about Princess Zelda? Many of the parallel characters have things in common (Romani & Cremia on a ranch like Malon, the "lovers" of Hyrule and Termina are together in both worlds, etc), so would it be possible that the Goddess of Time is Princess Zelda's parallel? Or maybe the Goddess of Time is a parallel character to somebody else from Hyrule.

Is it possible that she is just a lesser goddess?

Much like the the Hyrulian Zora's god, Jabu-Jabu/Jabun, The Hyrulian Gerudo's Goddess of the Sand, Termina's Four Giants, and Termina's mask that allows Link to transform into Fierce Deity (Kijin no Kamen = Fierce God)? Could the "fourth piece" not be related to the Triforce at all, but a symbol of a single goddess for Termina?

Maybe she's not of Termina at all?

What if word of her was brought from other worlds? If the Skullkid and the Happy Mask Salesman know of ways between worlds, perhaps there are others who know as well. Perhaps, through word of mouth, she became yet another legend? Maybe she doesn't exist at all, but the people of Termina believe she does.

A supreme being?

When the three goddesses created Hyrule, "their potent breath slipped through tiny cracks in the folds of space". Would it be possible that a superior goddess existed beforehand, or was even created at this moment? One who's powers also slip through the cracks in the folds of space, affecting all of the millions of alternate worlds? If so, perhaps this is what that "fourth piece" represents.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not much of a theorist. I believe only what is deemed canon. However, when there are unanswered questions such as these, it's fun to consider all the different answers. What do you think?

Disgea likes this

Posted

I honestly believe with all of me that the Goddess of Time mentioned in Majora's Mask is merely Nayru.

Not only did Nayru create the laws of the world, (Time would be a law everyone has to follow...) but she is also represented by blue. Every artifact that has the power to alter time had blue in it. (The Master Sword, the Ocarina of Time, the Harp of Ages, etc.) Not only that, but in Oracle of Ages, Nayru's incarnation had the exclusive ability to travel through time using her voice or the use of the Harp. Nayru has a clear and solid connection to the process of Time, and the term "Goddess of Time" is not exclusive to Termina. Before leaving for Hyrule, Zelda spoke to Link, which is revisited in a flashback, but never occurred ingame. She told him that she would pray to the Goddess of Time for him. This would seem like, "OK, normal. The Goddess of Time apparently has a crapload to do with him." But no. It would make extreme sense if the Goddess she was referring to were Nayru. Zelda holds the Triforce of Wisdom, and that is the Triforce Nayru is associated with. It would make sense for her to pray to her.

A further point, nobody ever refers to the Goddesses by name. They always refer to THEM as the "Golden Goddesses", and have never addressed any of them directly. In fact, seeing as Din's incarnation had a distinct Gerudo look to her, I would say that the Goddess of Sand is Din. She did, in fact, "Cultivate the red Earth". It's not a longshot from the Goddess of Earth. She also has deep ties in Gerudo worship, apparently. She is a woman, she looks like a Gerudo, and she made the Earth, where she gave them exclusive rights to the Desert.

Also, as a side note, Fierce Deity Link was originally "Oni Link", but that translates to Demon Link, so Nintendo scrapped the name for the American release because of its nature in religion towards Christians. They've had issues with religion before, such as the Muslim-like symbol which was originally the Gerudo symbol.

You've put up a good argument, but I disagree with you.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I too believe that the "Tetraforce" is separate from the Triforce, but all my other beliefs about this are on the main topic, which ought to be the only one used for this kind of stuff, considering 99% of stuff said in other topics has already been stated in the main topic. Repetition is idiotic in such cases as these.

Posted

I honestly believe with all of me that the Goddess of Time mentioned in Majora's Mask is merely Nayru.

Not only did Nayru create the laws of the world, (Time would be a law everyone has to follow...) but she is also represented by blue. Every artifact that has the power to alter time had blue in it. (The Master Sword, the Ocarina of Time, the Harp of Ages, etc.) Not only that, but in Oracle of Ages, Nayru's incarnation had the exclusive ability to travel through time using her voice or the use of the Harp. Nayru has a clear and solid connection to the process of Time, and the term "Goddess of Time" is not exclusive to Termina. Before leaving for Hyrule, Zelda spoke to Link, which is revisited in a flashback, but never occurred ingame. She told him that she would pray to the Goddess of Time for him. This would seem like, "OK, normal. The Goddess of Time apparently has a crapload to do with him." But no. It would make extreme sense if the Goddess she was referring to were Nayru. Zelda holds the Triforce of Wisdom, and that is the Triforce Nayru is associated with. It would make sense for her to pray to her.

A further point, nobody ever refers to the Goddesses by name. They always refer to THEM as the "Golden Goddesses", and have never addressed any of them directly. In fact, seeing as Din's incarnation had a distinct Gerudo look to her, I would say that the Goddess of Sand is Din. She did, in fact, "Cultivate the red Earth". It's not a longshot from the Goddess of Earth. She also has deep ties in Gerudo worship, apparently. She is a woman, she looks like a Gerudo, and she made the Earth, where she gave them exclusive rights to the Desert.

Also, as a side note, Fierce Deity Link was originally "Oni Link", but that translates to Demon Link, so Nintendo scrapped the name for the American release because of its nature in religion towards Christians. They've had issues with religion before, such as the Muslim-like symbol which was originally the Gerudo symbol.

Sahaqiel

You make a good point about the Goddess of Time... Zelda did mention that the Goddess of Time would be protecting Link. While Nayru, the Oracle, has ties with time, it's not mentioned that the goddess does. Still, Zelda, who is associated with the Triforce of Wisdom (tied with Nayru), has the Ocarina of Time. However, this ocarina had been in existance long before OoT!Princess Zelda was, so it can only be speculated that OoT!Zelda herself has any ties with the element of time. Still, she had knowledge of the goddess, whether or not she's actually Nayru or a separate entity.

Another possibility is that the Goddess of Time could just be the combination of all three goddesses. Perhaps, together, they are considered the "Goddess of Time". According to some Christian beliefs, God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are three separate entities, yet also one. Perhaps the same could be said about Din, Nayru, and Farore.

As for the Goddess of the Sand being Din, I once considered that, but decided not to go with it. I believe Goddess of the Sand just refers to being of the desert (where the Gerudo live), much like Jabu-Jabu is the Zoran god. Also, yes, the original Japanese for Fierce Deity was "Onigami Rinku", which is translated to "Furious God Link". But, it's possible that it simply allows Link to transform into a god.

I really don't have a belief in any of these, but I do think all the different possibilites are very interesting. :)

Posted

Ah, but Zeruda, there is hardly any clear connection to anything in Zelda. That's why there are theory forums. ;)

Zelda is not exclusively tied in with the element of time. As far as anyone's concerned, the Ocarina of Time can be used by anyone who can use it correctly. There has been nothing to disprove that it can.

1) The incarnation of Nayru has control over time.

2) The Goddess Nayru supposedly made the laws of the world. One of the things that went along with this is physics and the processes of nature like how light bends in the atmosphere (The sky's blue color) and she also made the sun appear. The sun is the main indication of Time. Technically, she really is the Goddess that created the process of moving time.

3) Nayru is represented by the color blue, and every artifact, (It doesn't matter when it was created) that had significant control of time was blue.

4) Zelda could apparently pray to the Goddess of Time, and she holds the Triforce of Wisdom, which is held in representation by Nayru. She exclusively prays to the "Goddess of Time" for Link's safe journey. The Goddesses have never been clearly called names by the Hylians because the legend was actually a deep secret held and passed down by the Royal Family. Even Princess Zelda never mentions their names. It's a high probability that their names were lost and they had to resort to calling the Goddesses by what they represent.

5) Termina is a technologically advanced place compared to Hyrule. They also celebrate the Goddess of Time. This would make sense if it were Nayru because she is the Goddess of Wisdom. Wisdom is grouped with intelligence and they are a technologically advanced domain.

I also doubt that the Goddesses have an alias by which they go when spoken of all at once. They are normally only referred to as the three Golden Goddesses or just the Goddesses. Sometimes they are also referred to as the gods. The only game to use the term "Goddess of Time" is Majora's Mask.

In short, with so much evidence leaning towards Nayru, I highly doubt that the Goddess of Time is an unfamiliar character.

I think there's an entire article about disproving the Goddess of Time as an unfamiliar in ZU, but the boards are down right now.

I shall think about this, and maybe I'll gather some more evidence and polish the theories a bit.

Sahaqiel

Posted (edited)

Same with me. After reading the article on "The Message of Majora's Mask" on ZeldaInformer, I think that the Goddess of Time is just another name for Nayru.

Edited by TwiliGirl (see edit history)

Posted

Yes, Nayru created the laws. But, in PH the fairy was the spirit of courage and time. So, since another goddess's power is related to time, that means that any of them could be the goddess of time, and therefore none of them could be the goddess of time. If nintendo meant for the goddess of time to be one the the other three, then zelda would have said so in the game. Plus, this goddess might not even be a golden goddess (despite my beliefs), like Colosus and others. Just sayin'.

Posted

Spirit, not Goddess. And Ceila wasn't even associated with being a spirit of time. She could merely stop it using the power of the Phantom Hourglass, which, might I add, is also blue. Besides, the realm that was in Phantom Hourglass might not have been Hyrule or Termina at all, but possibly the same dimension Link traversed in in Link's Awakening. A dream world that is real.

And Zelda wouldn't have mentioned that Nayru was specifically the Goddess of Time because she never even gave us knowledge she knew what the names of the Goddesses were. When Zelda told the creation story, she didn't use any name for the Goddesses.

She never once mentioned Din, Nayru, or Farore by name.

The Desert Colossus could be Din, by the way. >__>

Sahaqiel

Posted

I think that the Goddess of Time isn't really associated with the Triforce in any way. It wouldn't make much sense if she was the goddess of a supposed fourth piece, as the other three each hold an element of a true hero, also the central themes to the Zelda formula: the power to defeat monsters, the wisdom to solve puzzles, and the courage to go out and do it all. Where would time fit in? Having the time to actually play through the game? I don't really think so.

The cutscene in Ocarina of Time, in which the Deku Tree tells Link the story of the Triforce, begins: "Before time began, before spirits and life existed..." This means that, like proper deities, the three goddesses exist outside of the reletivity that is time. And if they exist outside of time, then what relevance could they have to time itself? The people of Hyrule believe in a hugely polytheistic religion, seeing as there are two gods of the wind (Zephos and Cyclos, both featured in The Wind Waker). So it isn't impossible that there are hundreds more, merely referred to as "the gods". These are probably lesser than the three golden goddesses, who created life, and therefore the lives of these gods.

It could be that, even if commanded by Nayru, and hence the blue trademark, this Goddess of Time actually represents Time itself.* Since time is a law, and Nayru created the law, then Nayru created the Goddess of Time, because the Goddess of Time is time. Praying to the Goddess of Time is most likely like requesting that time be fortunate and on your side.

*As the Roman goddess of rumors, Fama, whose name means Rumor. I quote the Aeneid: "Straightaway Rumor flies through Libya's great cities, Rumor, swiftest of all the evils in the world. She thrives on speed, stronger for every stride, slight with fear at first, soon soaring into the air she treads the ground and hides her head in the clouds."

As for the Goddess of the Sand being Din, I once considered that, but decided not to go with it. I believe Goddess of the Sand just refers to being of the desert (where the Gerudo live), much like Jabu-Jabu is the Zoran god.

Quickie note: Jabu-Jabu is not a god- if we stick with the mostly agreed upon factor that Jabu-Jabu is Jabun, then Jabu-Jabu is effectively the "Spirit" of the Water, "Guardian" of the Water, what have you. Jabu-Jabu is on the same level as teh Deku Tree, even if the Zoras worship him. =O

Also, I feel as though my thoughts here have jumped around too much. That's what happens when you think you have a lot of stuff to say, so you rush through everything and forget what you wanted to say in the first place. :embarrassed:

Posted

If it was before time began, then wouldn't that place time's creation at the event of the three Goddesses' arrival?

Sahaqiel

Posted

Indeed. But the goddesses exist before and out of time, so they weren't associated with it before they began their descent, though it was never before because there was no time. =O

Posted

Perhaps, although they themselves were outside of time, the Goddesses could create and meddle with it. :unsure:

Posted

Sahaqiel

of course, nayru is the oracle of ages so shes probably the goddess of time to

Posted

Well, her incarnation was the Oracles of Ages.

So the Goddess, who is a goddess, would probably be associated with time on a much higher level.

But seriously, I mean, "Before time began". That sets it off right there. It's like they're saying, "Before time began, they created Hyrule. Then there was time because they did it."

I mean, if Nayru created the laws of the world, then wouldn't it make logical sense? Her incarnation can bend time, which is something everyone has to follow unless they have an artifact that lets them travel through it. All of which are blue, which is the color that Nayru is always associated with. Even the Phantom Sword is blue in Phantom Hourglass. The Master Sword is primarily blue, and was used for time travel at one point. The Ocarina of Time is blue, and duh, lets you manipulate time AND other "laws" such as day and night, which are just packets of time. The Harp of Ages is actually red and blue, but it's more blue due to the circular thing at the top. The red, I suppose, is supposed to stand for the past since everything has a red tone back then, and the symbol for it is red. The blue, I suppose, represents the present.

(Incidentally, the Harp of Ages can almost pass for a Sheikah artifact. It has a circular "eye" pattern at the top of it that has three golden cone/trianglular protrusions that could pass as eyelashes. The chords could pass for the Sheikah's tear pattern... Only it's not colored like a Sheikah artifact.)

Another thing is that the residents of Hyrule were never proven to know what the Goddess' names were, and merely called them "the gods". Gods, in a sense, could be a unisex term. But anyways, the point I'm trying to make is that Zelda says she will pray to the "Goddess of Time". Some people think since she didn't say "Nayru", that the Goddess of Time is a separate entity because she should have called her by name. But even in her version of the creation story, she never says the Goddess' names. It makes sense that she, or other people, would name a specific Goddess by what that Goddess represents.

It would also make sense that the carrier of the Triforce of Wisdom would pray to a Goddess like Nayru since Nayru's piece of the Triforce is the one representing Wisdom.

Furthermore, there are actually Triforces located in the walls of Clock Town. Whether or not this is just laziness with textures, the Triforce does appear in Termina. The Terminans also have an obsession with time, because it is a very busy place that doesn't really match the slower, easier pace of Hylian life. If the Goddess of Time were a separate entity, don't you think the residents of Clock Town would put up a symbol on their walls representing her? Instead they have Triforces.

In my eyes, I really don't see how the rumored "Goddess of Time" couldn't be Nayru. There is so much evidence that points right at Nayru being her.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I made a poem that is now my sig (because I worked so hard on it)about my thoery on the fouth piece

It simply states that the fourth piece is actually the godesses father who died which explains the invisability and that it is upside down but I think the goddess of time actually referrs to Farore not Naryu because Zelda said that the godess of tme protects him and link is gifted with the goddess of courage witch is Farore not Nayru if I recall