Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boy hangs himself after father confiscates Wii

25 posts in this topic

Posted

After an argument with his father, which resulted in his Wii's confiscation, a thirteen-year old boy was found hung to death in his bedroom.

------

[center][img]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/06/26/article-1029685-01C0DFA800000578-413_233x361.jpg[/img][/center]

The argument started when the boy, Jake Roberts, wanted to play on the Wii, but his sister was watching TV. But his father took away the game he wanted to play and locked himself in his room. He was discovered dead by his bed by his father hours later, a result of hanging himself.

His father commented, "The first thing I saw when I walked in to Jake's bedroom was all the paper he had ripped up on the floor during his tantrum. The door was open with his bed to my left behind the door. I was going to tell him off when I turned. It took me a few seconds to register what I was seeing. His school tie was round his neck and he was hung from his cabin bed. I tried to lift him and his tie was attached to a bar on the bed."

He was rushed immediately to Scarborough Hospital, where he was pronounced dead two hours later.

Posted

kid was lucky he had his dad

Posted

That's horrible. Very, very, depressing.

Posted

That's awful... Horrible... That boy must have had problems, because... welll, you get mad but it's for a while...
It's horrible...

Posted

That's horrible. Death over a Wii... :mellow:
What's really sad is I know some real pre-teens that would probably do the same thing over something stupid like that. >_>

Posted

As unfortunate as this incident is, I don't think the hanging was a result of the boy's Wii being confiscated. I'm sure that the confiscation was more like the straw that broke the camel's back, so to say. Before his suicide, he had apparently thrown a tantrum in his bedroom, which leads me to believe that this child must have had a number of behavioral and mental issues (depression is one of them, most likely). It's no secret that teenagers are very emotional, so that being paired with those issues and a punishment from Daddy, the boy more than likely took his own life because he couldn't handle his emotions or control his behavior. I doubt the Wii had anything to do with it; the boy would probably still have taken his own life if the object in question was a cellphone, ipod, or whatever it is kids have these days.

Posted

[quote name='Zeruda' post='152954' date='Jun 27 2008, 11:49 PM']As unfortunate as this incident is, I don't think the hanging was a result of the boy's Wii being confiscated. I'm sure that the confiscation was more like the straw that broke the camel's back, so to say. Before his suicide, he had apparently thrown a tantrum in his bedroom, which leads me to believe that this child must have had a number of behavioral and mental issues (depression is one of them, most likely). It's no secret that teenagers are very emotional, so that being paired with those issues and a punishment from Daddy, the boy more than likely took his own life because he couldn't handle his emotions or control his behavior. I doubt the Wii had anything to do with it; the boy would probably still have taken his own life if the object in question was a cellphone, ipod, or whatever it is kids have these days.[/quote]
ID have to agree, me and my brother ahd our wii taken away, (We are wii adicts) but we didnt do stuff like that, yea we were mad for a couple of days, but never cosidered suicide. That boy probably did have something wrong mentally.

Posted

[quote name='Zeruda' post='152954' date='Jun 27 2008, 10:49 PM']As unfortunate as this incident is, I don't think the hanging was a result of the boy's Wii being confiscated. I'm sure that the confiscation was more like the straw that broke the camel's back, so to say. Before his suicide, he had apparently thrown a tantrum in his bedroom, which leads me to believe that this child must have had a number of behavioral and mental issues (depression is one of them, most likely). It's no secret that teenagers are very emotional, so that being paired with those issues and a punishment from Daddy, the boy more than likely took his own life because he couldn't handle his emotions or control his behavior. I doubt the Wii had anything to do with it; the boy would probably still have taken his own life if the object in question was a cellphone, ipod, or whatever it is kids have these days.[/quote]
The boy threw a tantrum after it got confiscated...

[quote name='Tazay' post='152957' date='Jun 27 2008, 11:14 PM']ID have to agree, me and my brother ahd our wii taken away, (We are wii adicts) but we didnt do stuff like that, yea we were mad for a couple of days, but never cosidered suicide. That boy probably did have something wrong mentally.[/quote]

well not everyone is like you and your brother...

I wouldn't say mental issues...

It's possible that he had family related problems (ex. he hates dad... his parents don't love him... etc.) that kind of stuff or other issues but mental? no don't think so...

Posted

Yeah, it was probably the breaking point for him.
He could have been on edge or had depression.

Despite this, I must say,
The Wii has claimed its second victim. :mellow:
[i]Recalls "Hold you wee for a Wii"[/i]
Sahaqiel

Posted

My goodness.
That's so... awful. Almost disgusting.
Though, it's probably true that the kid had mental or family issues of some sort. I doubt that people in their right state of mind would do such a thing.

Posted

suicide isn't a spur of the moment thing. If it wasn't about the Wii something else would have sent him off. It's sad when anyone that young dies, but he had some seriously crossed brain cells to go "I'll show him, i'll hang myself! That'll teach him!"

Posted

Sad Thing is if anything was happening in the family that could just cause even more trouble...

Posted

Wow. That's... pointless.

Posted

Wow :huh:
Well that is sick...
First off indeed Gaara at the Disco he had to be lucky that he had a dad...

But kill your self because you can't play on your Wii... you're sick :wacko:
I'm sure there needs to be something else where he had problems with... (On school...)

Posted

If it was because of the wii being taken away...boy he had to be spoiled rotten, if not he must be a video game adicts...