Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What's your favorite Zelda game and why.

35 posts in this topic

Posted

Easily (for me) Ocarina of Time

Like quite a few of my generation, it was the first Zelda I ever played and with that statement the issue of bias seeps in. True, there has to be some, but I can quite confidently say after nearly 10 years the nostalgia isn't what drives me to it.

It's it's philosophy. It's setup.

With Ocarina of Time Nintendo has to take an, until that point, entirely 2D franchise and translate it into the the third dimension. When doing so they take a novel approach. They seem to start over. The game's story pans out much like A Link to the Past, yet the games don't seem to be connected directly, just spiritually. This causes quite a few "fans" to mistake this game as a cheap copy regardless of the fact that games have been using this same setup after OoT ever since. The Wind Waker. Twilight Princess. They do the same, yet for Ocarina of Time this was the first time.

For the first time there's a real focus on characters and elements that really aren't necessary for a game. Did we need to be able to find out secrets from the Gossip Stones? Did we need to have a Fishing Pond? How about those secret grottos?

Ocarina of Time was an experiment that succeeded and in quite a few ways it's the mentality that draws me to the game. It's also what makes me respect the Wind Waker when there are some issues with it I really take to. It's that area of risk, of trying something new and not holding on convention YET at the same time realizing that we fans need solid ground, elements WELL PLACED IN RELEVANCE like Princess Zelda and the evil Ganondorf. It's a game that is fresh! Even after 10 years of being reused, rehashed and pulled out of it's well earned sleep to be rewritten into a new game plot or timeline "breakthrough".

That's why Ocarina of Time is my favorite. Because in it's message is what Zelda should be, not necessarily it's literal content.

Posted

The Minish Cap because I consider it my first Zelda game. I had the Collector's Edition before that, but that's a collection of games and honestly, I haven't really finished any of them. :embarrassed: I almost finished The Minish Cap, but got stuck on the final battle with Vaati. But in a random act of stupidity, I deleted my file and started over. Why I didn't just keep it and make a new file in one of the two remaining slots, I will never know. I remember watching other kids play the game before school (this was like 3-4 years ago when I was in 5th grade, I think.) So yeah, I've basically had the thing for years and never got around to finishing it.

Posted

Definitly majora's mask, dark, fun, challenging, the first one i beat 100% with no help. The original is a close second though.

Posted

Awww,can

Posted

=(

OoT/TP favoritism is too common.

The Oracle branch was my favorite two-part Zelda sequence, and Majora's Mask and Wind Waker pretty much tie as my favorite. While OoX introduced me to the series, Wind Waker hooked me for life.

Meowmeow.

Sahaqiel