Achievements. >:(

34 posts in this topic

Posted

Have you ever had mounting frustration from a video game by losing over and over and over and over and over for cheap stupid reasons that should just not be there? Well, I have met such a source of annoyance.

Geometry Wars: Evolved is a somewhat unique arcade shooter downloadable for XBox LIVE arcade, and it has some of the most pleasing particle effects and visually stunning yet simplistic visuals an arcade game has ever had.

However, to gain achievement points, you must comply with some of the most annoying conditions ever.

Today, I tried to get the achievement, "Rebound". This involved shooting a gate, (Which are mirror like objects that are deadly on two sides, but are destroyed when you pass through the centers of them, which also reflect your shots) and killing 75 enemies with just reflected shots.

This was so irritating.

I'm not used to arcade games, really, and I have to say, my right wrist is sore.

OK, here's the thing. You have three minutes. Enemies spawn with higher frequencies the longer you haven't been killed/destroyed.

The only way that a gate will spawn is if you wait/kill enemies. And this takes up time.

All the while, from all sides, you are surrounded by randomly spawning arrows that go straight back and forth or up and down on a screen, things that just kinda' float around, things that follow you until they're destroyed, and a plethora of other of other enemies.

This might sound easy, but the screen is FILLED with enemies. Oh my gosh. If you try to take them out with reflected shots, you have to shoot towards them anyway. It gets too hectic, and you die frequently. It's highly irritating.

This fills the screen with a huge amount of enemies, so you're constantly shooting. But they respawn just as fast as they explode into bright particles that clouds your vision from other impending enemies, even though they're pretty effects.

So, you blast your way through enemies a bit, and finally, a gate appears. You frantically try to shoot at it, hoping the reflected shots will kill the opposition.

BUT WAIT.

Geometry Wars: Evolved was definitely created with extremely difficult achievements in mind.

As soon as your counter for killed enemies from reflected shots is displayed, the game assumes you're trying for the achievement, even if you're just getting lucky hits. When this happens, every enemy on screen goes towards you with more aggression. If they were just kind of laying back and chilling out for a second, they're going to be coming at you like they have a grudge.

THERE IS ALSO ANOTHER ENEMY.

It's green, and it follows you quickly. If you shoot at it, it moves out of the way. Unless you play mindgames with this enemy, it will not die.

So you just think, "Well, my shots can't hurt me, so I'll just shoot directly into the mirror, and it will shoot behind me and kill everything behind me! Yeah, that works!"

But no. This thing dodges everything and destroys you.

So you try to play mindgames into the mirror to fool and destroy the green/general enemies.

But no. This gate/mirror rotates as you shoot it.

It's like trying to style your hair while the mirror is turning left and right as you do anything. Eventually, you find yourself reflecting shots towards a wall behind you, because gates seem to always spawn near corners or walls, and when you try to get around them, you get sandwiched between an enemy and the deadly orange sides of the gate. You are destroyed, and the screen is cleared, making you wait for another gate to spawn.

You also respawn after dying, but all the things I've mentioned take up such godawful amounts of TIME. Not only that, but you also need tremendous amounts of luck for things like spawn locations for mirrors and enemies.

Sure, the pounding techno track and the visuals that make illegal drugs unnecessary are cool, but the achievements were designed to frustrate.

Don't try them unless you have a lot of patience or time on your hands.

Scratch that or. You need both.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I don't have patience, that's why I only read the first and last three lines of that.

Sorry, I just don't have the attention span to read all of that.

Posted

Same lol o.O

Posted

yikes. guess that's why i don't get arcade games for the xbox

Posted

I'm not that great at arcade games either. That sounds pretty hard though. It reminded me of a certain level in Super Mario Galaxy that consists of lot of those blue gravity orbs...I died countless times...

Posted

I would prefer a meatball sandwich.

Posted

I just want to point out that he's talking about Geometry Wars 2, because I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist on Geo Wars 1

~~Gingerlink-6565 (o, yeah, including that one :P)

Posted

Shush, Gingerlink. >(

For some reason, you keep declining my friend requests, but for some reason, your high scores showed up and my friend and I were like, "..."

Sahaqiel

Posted (edited)

LOOKS PRETTY EASY TO ME.

Edited by Fierce Muffin (see edit history)

Posted

LOOKS PRETTY EASY TO ME.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Regular guys, you just run away from.

Green guys, you corner.

Mirror, just stay behind it and you pretty much have a wall of your shots.

This seems like the easiest thing ever.

It's a lot harder than you make it out to be. :(

Sahaqiel

Posted

Nope, looks pretty easy to me.

Posted

Looks pretty goddamn easy to me too.

Posted

Shush, Gingerlink. >(

For some reason, you keep declining my friend requests, but for some reason, your high scores showed up and my friend and I were like, "..."

Sahaqiel

problem: Whn I came back online after 3 weeks offline from the xbox I had 30 new friend requests from people who I didn't know, I've forgotten what you said your gamertag was as well...

Posted

Looks pretty easy. But I guess if someone is really good at something they can make it look easy. I mean, when I look at someone beating Dragonforce on expert on Youtube, I think, 'Wow. That actually looks pretty easy', But it's an entirely different story when you have a go... In my experience, it's usually like that anyway.

Posted

Nope, looks pretty easy to me.

No, Muffin. Play it yourself and stop trying to *anger* me. >(

Also, who rated this five stars?

Wtf, it's just a rant.

Sahaqiel