Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fairy colours.

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm sure most of you know that in OoT, Navi is a "blue" fairy. That is, the colour around her "circle" of light is blue. But have you ever taken a look at the other Korkiri's fairies, and their colors?

Now, if I remember correctly, one day I was bored enough to look at every fairy in the Korkiri forest. Most Korkiris had either "yellow" or "green" fairies, a few had orange. What could be the reasoning behind this? Do colours distinguish the gender between fairies? Or their function? For example, healing fairies are pink.

Even more so, in Majora's Mask, Nintendo made the fairy colours even more apparent; the obvious example being Tael, who is unlike any fairy we've ever seen. His inverted "light" did not seem to have any effect or foreshadowing of his childlike, innocent behavior.

So what do you guys think? So the fairy colours have any significance, or are they just random bits of decoration?

Posted

There's probably some vague symbolic meaning behind the choice of colors, but alas, I'm too tired to pursue this. Interesting thought, though.

Posted

Im better its alot simpler than all that - fairies are different colours so you dont get them confused with each other.

Navi was unique in OoT, being the only light blue fairy - clearly distinguishable from kokiri fairies (orange) and healing fairies (pink).

Again in MM, tatl & tael are unique in their colours.

Posted

yhs idk why navi is the only uniqe one in oOt but i think its just part of the game and design............

Posted

Well, Tatl got red when she was angry. Maybe this has some relevance.

Posted

Probably not. Red is synonymous for anger, so it probably just makes more sense to make her go red as you can't give them any facial expressions when all they are is a fuzzy ball with wings.

Posted

Now, if I remember correctly, one day I was bored enough to look at every fairy in the Korkiri forest. Most Korkiris had either "yellow" or "green" fairies, a few had orange.

In addition to those colours, I'm sure that some of the Kokiri had pink fairies as their companions. In the PAL version, anyway. That means that the pink fairies cannot exclusively be for healing; and as the other colours such as blue and green only appear as companions, I am of the opinion that the colours are merely an aesthetic factor, and don't actually mean anything like their function.

That being said, some of the fairies seemed to be unique - from memory, Navi was the only blue fairy, and also seemed to be the one most trusted by the Great Deku Tree. I'm not sure about Tatl, but Tael was definitely unique - his black colour seemed to give him a much more sinister and evil aura. In conclusion, the colours of the Kokiri fairies seem to be random, but important individual ones are unique in order to give them recognisability and add to their character.