Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advice On Changing My OS

2 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, not advice, but guidelines on how to do so.

I'm changing from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 RC (The free one) and I'm not really sure how you change your OS.

I'm guessing somebody here has experience?

Posted

I wouldn't change your OS to Windows 7 RC unless you realize that it will start shutting down every 2 hours starting in March and expire the next month.

But if you still want to do this.

1. Download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...de-advisor.aspx ). This will let you know if your current computer will run Windows 7 fine. If you already know your computer can handle Windows 7 then skip this step and go to Step 2.

2. Download Windows 7 RC ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcen...x?ITPID=mscomsc ) You need a live account or bing whichever it is now.

3. Burn the .iso file to a DVD using a burning program such as Nero, PowerISO, UltraISO, etc. I will include Portable PowerISO as a download at the end of this post if you do not have a .iso burning software.

4. Insert the DVD you just created into the DVD drive and restart your computer.

5. Your computer will ask you to hit any key to boot from the disc, hit any key and the Windows 7 installer will start. If you do not get this go to step 8.

6. Following the instructions Windows 7 will ask you if you want to do a Fresh Install or an Upgrade (or something like that). A Fresh Install will format your drive leaving any documents and files deleted and NOT RECOVERABLE. The Upgrade option will install Windows 7 over your current OS leaving any files or programs, Do note that some programs may not work due to compatibility.

7. Following the Windows 7 Upgrade instructions it will want you to restart your computer and run the DVD from your current Operating System, there it should have instructions on how to complete the Windows 7 Upgrade.

8. If your computer will not boot to the disc you may need to enable it in your BIOS settings. To do this continue reading.

9. Restart your computer, somewhere you will be given the option to run setup or go into setup by hitting most likely DEL (or Delete), sometimes the key can be F10 for some HPs. If you hit the right key you will enter BIOS which should be a blue screen. Now it's extremely careful not to change anything that you are unsure of. If you see "Flash BIOS" D O N O T D O I T. We are looking for Boot Order or somewhere that will change the order of which your system components boot up. Make sure your DVD/CD Drive is #1 in the list, after that look around for a setting possible called "Boot from a removable device" if this is Disabled/Off turn it on.

10. Restart and go back to step 6.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

To download Portable PowerISO click: http://game.flame-designs.com/files/Portable_PowerISO.exe