Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Windows 7 - First Look

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Guys,

I just upgraded my Operating system to Windows 7 Build 7600 and I thought I would let you guys in on how it looks. Windows 7 is set to release on October 22, 2009 and will come in 3 Versions.

* Windows 7 Home Premium

* Windows 7 Professional

* Windows 7 Ultimate

All are available in both x86 and x64 bit Systems.

Windows 7 is very similar to Windows Vista. I would call it "Windows Vista but with everything we asked for". Windows 7 has a lot of changes and additions from Vista. Some of the noticeably changes is the task bar and start menu. Instead of having "Windows" in the task bar, there are now Icons which hold multiple windows. This is a lot like Mac but also different. The start menu also allows individual programs to have a "Recently Opened" bar.

Some other changes are...

* Some Gadgets (Sticky Note, Maths Input, ect) are now there own program in Windows

* The loading screen of Windows 7 is an animation.

* Windows Explorer is ALOT neater.

* Paint looks half decent

* Windows Powershell is included.

* Calculator is actually good now.

* User Account Control is actually helpful now instead of a pain!

Now there are a lot of new additions in W7. The first I would like to point out is "Windows Virtual PC", this program is available for download off the Windows Website and allows Windows 7 users to create a "Virtual" PC with a previous operating System (eg. Windows XP, Windows Vista) you can download these operating systems also from the Windows Website free of charge. This program basically allows you to boot up another Operating system as a program. This is really handy if Programs and Drivers don't support Windows 7. You can also use this program to boot Linux as well. This feature requires Virtualization Technology in your CPU though.

The next addition I would like to explain is the support Windows 7 has for drivers. Windows 7 has included a driver scanner into Windows Update to seek the internet for drivers that the computer cannot find. This can save hours of searching a Manufactorers website to find the correct driver to make a piece of hardware work!

Some other additions are...

* Full Biometric & Touch Screen Support

* A new Network control method

* Support for GPS and Sensors

* Better Display settings

* A new Action Center Program that controls Notifications

* Hovering over the "Show Desktop" button blanks out all screens so you can see the desktop.

* Better looking games

* Better overall performance of the computer.

Unlike its predecessors, Windows 7 is designed to run speed-sapping background services only when you need them. Not using a Bluetooth device? Then the Bluetooth service in Windows 7 stays off. Windows 7 is also less memory hungry than Windows Vista

post-6900-1248595058_thumb.jpg

post-6900-1248595085_thumb.jpg

post-6900-1248595102_thumb.jpg

post-6900-1248595116_thumb.jpg

post-6900-1248595129_thumb.jpg

post-6900-1248595326_thumb.png

post-6900-1248595430_thumb.png

post-6900-1248595475_thumb.png

post-6900-1248595587_thumb.png

Posted

Nice. That looks pretty solid. The only thing I don't like is the toolbar at the bottom. It looks blocky. Oh well. I'll get over it.

Posted

Interesting... could Microsoft have made a product that doesn't suck...? :lol:

We'll see.

Posted

I wonder if I should change from Vista on my laptop to Windows 7... my only concern is compatibility with all my old games.

Posted

I plan to get my free Windows 7 from MSDNA/ELMS a.k.a Microsoft via school program.

Posted

I wonder if I should change from Vista on my laptop to Windows 7... my only concern is compatibility with all my old games.

Windows 7 supports all XP and Vista Programs as well as prior OS's. If they don't run in Windows 7, then you can use Windows XP Mode to run them.

I am running the Final Release of Windows 7. I just got it before it was released.

Posted

you mean Release Candidate?

Posted

you mean Release Candidate?

RTM Build 7600

The Final Product

Posted

Oh I see the one that was leaked 17 days ago. I am now downloading this.

Posted

Is Microsoft really that bad at keeping people from uploading private builds willy-nilly?