Illegal Immigration. A problem, or not?

66 posts in this topic

Posted

It is not about how old a contry is, but the older a country is, the more deep rooted culture and traditions it will have.

The United states is not a very old country consisting solely of immigrants has no culture of it's own to speak of, everything is on loan and mixed from different older cultures.

Saying stuff like "Immigrant threaten our culture" seems very stupid to me, as there was seemingly no distinguishing culture to defend to begin with.

Some might argue differently, but how could immigrants threaten the culture if there is still people alive to uphold it?

Why do some people take such pride in culture?

Don't get me wrong, there is a rich culture in the United states, but there is no culture that defines the United States, everything is on loan and mixed with something else.

Immigrants bringing their culture along is only a natural evolution of the already established culture.

If you welcome them, they will mix their own culture with the established one, or give up their own in favour of the established one.

If they are isolated and looked down upon, they will strengthen their ties with their native country, looking down on the country they have come to and praising their own.

As is the case with the many different middle eastern enclaves of sweden that was created when the government decided that forcefully moving every immigrant into the same neighborhood so that the white middle class wouldn't have to fear them was a good idea.

It was not a good idea and even now, third generation immigrants are having trouble integrating into swedish society, meaning that this isolation has taken place during a long time, each getting more and more severe.

As a result of this, Rascist parties are on the rise.

Posted

He's just a really bad troll.

I would like to point out that Australia was originally settled by dark skinned folks and that you're just descendant of European criminals, so you have no place in saying "more than Europeans, this is Australia, etc.".

Australia isn't wot wot eh crumpet tea time palace, either.

Also, my aunt lives in New Zealand, lol.

Sahaqiel

Possibly the best point in this thread. Mr.Fawkes, you are aware that you live in a former Penal Colony right? All the "Native" white people were British Criminals.

Just Checking

Ok, I'm proud to say that I discovered a few days ago that I'm descended from an upper-class British family that came here to supervise the criminals. I feel proud.

I DID SAY EUROPEANS, DIDN'T I

AND I'M PROUD OF MY BACKGROUND

I WOULDN'T BE HERE TODAY IF MY GREAT GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER HADN'T STOLEN A COW IN IRELAND AND BEEN MOVED HERE

LOL COW THEIVES, HELL YEAH

Have fun, peasant.

Anyway, my view on this.

As some of you may know, Australia has been having trouble with the "boat people." They are getting sympathy and people are calling them refugees. They are not. If they are true refugees, then they could have followed the legal pathways. If you can afford enough money for people to smuggle you to another country then I'd say you might not be as bad off as you say.

If you are not a refugee, then you should become a legal immigrant. See, it's fairly easy. Illegal immigration is wrong, but legal is perfectly fine.

And honestly, stealing our jobs? The job goes to the person best qualified. If you are worried that immigrants will steal jobs then you probably should be, as it is evident that you can't get off your arse and work for the job yourself. I'd prefer an immigrant who would actually work.

You guys make a big deal out of nothing.

Posted

It is not about how old a contry is, but the older a country is, the more deep rooted culture and traditions it will have.

The United states is not a very old country consisting solely of immigrants has no culture of it's own to speak of, everything is on loan and mixed from different older cultures.

Saying stuff like "Immigrant threaten our culture" seems very stupid to me, as there was seemingly no distinguishing culture to defend to begin with.

Some might argue differently, but how could immigrants threaten the culture if there is still people alive to uphold it?

Why do some people take such pride in culture?

Don't get me wrong, there is a rich culture in the United states, but there is no culture that defines the United States, everything is on loan and mixed with something else.

Immigrants bringing their culture along is only a natural evolution of the already established culture.

If you welcome them, they will mix their own culture with the established one, or give up their own in favour of the established one.

If they are isolated and looked down upon, they will strengthen their ties with their native country, looking down on the country they have come to and praising their own.

As is the case with the many different middle eastern enclaves of sweden that was created when the government decided that forcefully moving every immigrant into the same neighborhood so that the white middle class wouldn't have to fear them was a good idea.

It was not a good idea and even now, third generation immigrants are having trouble integrating into swedish society, meaning that this isolation has taken place during a long time, each getting more and more severe.

As a result of this, Rascist parties are on the rise.

1) You have a contradicting statement, our culture is deep rooted, and very proud, and transcends the fact that we are founded by immigrants, our holidays are purely american, with the exception of those celebrated around the world. Our literature, music, movies, and business pervade the entire world. Though we are young, we are deeply rooted through adversity and blending of those who have given us their ideas and strength.

2) Never did I say that we should Isolate or look down upon another peoples culture. What I am saying is that, though we were founded by immigrants, for all intents, we are AMERICANS now, and as such, we have a culture that is thoroughly American, we should not be forced to adopt the culture of another country simply because they run across the border illegally, part of living n another country is learning their way of dong things, and their traditions that make them who they are. They are more than welcome to have their traditions and language, but I and every other american citizen should not be required to bend to that. If I were living in Mexico, it would be the same, I would be expected to learn Spanish, and tradition, how they do business, how to read spanish signs. Similarly, if I were to move to Sweden, I would have to learn your language and traditions, culture, and how you do things, would I not?

3) I never said that Immigrants threaten our culture, I said Immigrants should learn our culture as part of becoming a citizen, and if they are unwilling, then they should be sent back to their country, as it is with EVERY other country in the world. I could not move to any other country and expect to be allowed their without going through a nationalization process. PArt of this process is learning the language, customs and culture of said country. Again, take Sweden, could I just move there, with no visa, no credentials, no drivers license or passport, and then just stay there? Paying no taxes yet collecting on your social programs? Would you be okay with that? That is what I have problem with. If you want to stay in a Country, you want to be a citizen, then you go through the process and learn what it means to be a citizen of that country.

You misunderstand the problem I have, I have no problem with Immigration, I have a problem with Illegal Immigration, and a government that thinks that we should be lenient and make things easier for people who refuse to become citizens.

Oh.....And Ammonsa, I have no problem with them taking the particular jobs they do, I have a problem with them taking jobs they are not legally licensed, trained, or insured to do. I don't want someone doing a job for me, getting hurt, then me having to foot their medical bills because they are here illegally and have no insurance. or for that matter, having to tear down something they built/renovated because they did't obtain a building permit.

Posted

And that is perfectly alright. It's just that if they are legally here and qualified then I see no problem with them working.

Posted

And that is perfectly alright. It's just that if they are legally here and qualified then I see no problem with them working.

Nope, no problem with that at all, good for them in that case.

Posted

Isn't that exactly what EVERYONE has been saying so far? That as long as they adhere to our culture and become legal citizens then it's all good? Why is there even an argument?

Posted

Why our culture? Our "culture" is a myth. Our "culture" wouldn't be here if not for the experiences of the many people who have come to our countries.

Posted

Isn't that exactly what EVERYONE has been saying so far? That as long as they adhere to our culture and become legal citizens then it's all good? Why is there even an argument?

Facepalm.

Like, I just did.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Why our culture? Our "culture" is a myth. Our "culture" wouldn't be here if not for the experiences of the many people who have come to our countries.

Yet it is still in current what is our culture, our culture includes language, religion, sports, pop culture, everything that makes us American day to day. Is being an American a myth? Everyone's culture in western society is a blending of many people, whether you like to admit it or not. What I am saying is that we should not be lenient on those who break the law an refuse to take the proper procedure to become citizens, yet expect us to accept them as American simply because they reside here, albeit illegally. This is becoming a debate on whether or not America has culture, which it most definitely does have one, as does every society of people on the planet. It is about whether or not Illegal Immigration is a problem, which it is.

Posted

Amerca's culture was formed from many different cultures. But in the blending of those cultures, a totally different culture emerged. There is such a thing as American culture. Football, baseball, pizza, cars, you name it. America has a culture that is different from the rest of the world whether you like it or not.

Posted

Amerca's culture was formed from many different cultures. But in the blending of those cultures, a totally different culture emerged. There is such a thing as American culture. Football, baseball, pizza, cars, you name it. America has a culture that is different from the rest of the world whether you like it or not.

Wow, thank you for restating what I've been saying.

Now that we have that covered, can we also agree that Illegal Immigration is a problem?

Posted

You're welcome. Just giving a different wording.

And as for te problem: YES. IT. IS.

Posted

You guys still seem to think that people just run illegally over the border because they have nothing better to do.

Posted

You guys still seem to think that people just run illegally over the border because they have nothing better to do.

No, I don't think that, but I also KNOW that there is a relatively simple way to make yourself legal, even if you jump illegally. I welcome you to look into the process for yourself.

Posted

But if it's as simple as you claim, how come people are not going through it?

There has to be more to the story than that, if the easiest way is the legal way, then nobody would be using the illegal way.

People breaking the laws just for the sake of breaking laws do not exist to such an extent in real life.

I just think that there is a lack of empathy in these discussions.