Illegal Immigration. A problem, or not?

66 posts in this topic

Posted

There have been several movies I've watched where there will be Spanish subtitles for any visible writing in English that appears on the screen. And you can't turn it off.

I saw that in a theather. I was watching Miracle at Saint Anna.

Comic Relif. Please ignore, as it is meaningless

I don't know why, but it made me want to punch Rachael Ray in the face. Oh wait. Everything makes me want to do that. Espically when she says "delish".

Posted

lol

Posted

Sahaqiel, I notice you almost always seem to take the opposite view of everybody else. Maybe you just REALLY like arguing.

What. I don't think illegal immigration is a problem. When did I even imply that? What are you talking about?

Besides, my mom was a Filipino immigrant. She was legal, though, and now has citizenship.

I'm not a jerkface. You can draw from my morals that I try to be understanding. So why would I want to send people back to a hungry country because they had bad luck in where they were born?

I think you're just throwing stones at me.

lol jk, you know we're bros. (:

Why don't we just all move to Africa so all the tribes there will be forced to speak English instead of their native, original language? That can't be wrong, can it? They should make us feel welcome and change their culture for us. That's just dumb.

That's already happened. All the major places in Africa are pretty much whitewashed with Dutch folks.

I studied Spanish for 2 years and I enjoy the language. But changing our culture for people who aren't allowed to be here is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

The people in this country are our culture, allowed or not.

I forgot what I was going to say after this. ):

Oh yeah.

Basically whatever that dude up there said when I skimmed through.

America has no official language.

Sahaqiel

Posted

The illegal immigrants in this country are NOT our culture. They are called aliens. They are foreign. They have different traditions, they speak a different language. There is nothing wrong with them coming into OUR country and learning OUR language, but it's just wrong to change OUR culture to fit outsiders. But the simple fact is that most of them DON'T integrate themselves. Mainly cuz they don't have to. The government has already made them pretty comfortable here. I mean, there is the whole working thing.

And the whole Africa thing? That's exactly what I'm talking about.

And it doesn't NEED to have an official language. English is the MOST SPOKEN LANGUAGE in America. It was started by English-speakers, all of its leaders speak English. English, English, English. NOT SPANISH. NOT FIESTAS. NOT SOMBREROS. AND NOT TACOS (oh wait, never mind XD). I'm fine with them coming here and paying taxes and everything and learning English (WELL) so they can communicate with the rest of the country, but when they come here and have benefits that us natives don't have, and our government tries to change our culture and language to suit them, it's stupid.

Posted

America has no official language in one way....However, out official language of Commerce is english, and any document signed in court is to be in english, so while it isn't declared, if you want to do business here, it has to be done in english.

Posted

Love and peace bro. I say let them have rice patties. Wait this is a different discussion. WHAT IS GOING ON?

Posted

Exactly, Sorates

Posted

I think you're the one that likes to argue. ):

The people make the culture. We are not all Asian, or Caucasian, or Hispanic, or of African descent. Illegal immigrants make up our culture by bringing theirs. We do not have a set culture. You are stereotyping.

I mean, America has Taco Bell.

There is nothing wrong with them coming into OUR country and learning OUR language, but it's just wrong to change OUR culture to fit outsiders. But the simple fact is that most of them DON'T integrate themselves. Mainly cuz they don't have to. The government has already made them pretty comfortable here. I mean, there is the whole working thing.

I mean, think of this.

An illegal immigrant's family has the tradition of throwing sci-fi birthday parties.

A legal immigrant has the tradition of throwing sci-fi birthday parties.

Whether or not the immigrant is legal, his or her's culture is nothing new. Because we have no specific culture.

You shouldn't feel threatened by culture by numbers. Culture is a thing that changes. 'American' culture is not Christian, middle class, Caucasian male. It is made up of fiestas. And Oktoberfest. And taking off your shoes before you enter a house. And face veils. Whatever. It's all there.

A bit more Hispanic people coming in won't encourage the neighboring predominantly German town to make German signs. And if they do, then it's not quite their fault.

If someone decides to move to a country at an old age, it might be too late for them to learn another language. The best they can do is make sure their children know it.

By the way, those 'Yes' options are suspiciously specific.

I know you have nothing against illegal immigrants, GMP, but the choices make you seem like you have closet resentment.

It's more fair to just have a

Severely pro

Pro

Indifferent

Anti

Severely anti

format.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Exactly, Sorates

Thank you,

And Saha, illegal Immigration is not a problem, I have no problem with people legally immigrating into the country, and becoming true citizens. Yes, it is a long process to get done, but it is worth it, and quite frankly, anyone willing to put forth the effort can do it. The people you are talking about from haiti and Cuba, are actually called refugees, it's a bit different, and most of them obtain legal citizenship after they announce refugee status. it's different for mexicans who are basically just to lazy to get a work visa and get their citizenship.

People can get out of their horrible countries and come to ours, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. Stealing someones identity, or just hiding, is not the right way, and we should not bend to the will and demand of those people. And I think you will find that the immigrants of other cultures (see the large Asian Population in Saint Louis) have no problems getting around without having Japanese/Cantonese/Mandarin on signs, why the need to put spanish?

And as for Aliens being a part of our culture, they really aren't, they are allowed to maintain their culture, as are other people, but they cannot be considered part of mainstream america, they just aren't. And with good reason, many areas with high populations of illegals have high crime rates and poor living, it's not what america wants. Once again, you will find that the ones who are here legally do not commit as much crime, and this is for all ethnicities.

i don't want to send them back either, and I don't want to seem heartless or elitist, but i don't want to have a bunch of illegal immigrants feeding of public healthcare, foodstamps, and any of the other things they get with easily faked SS cards or the ilk. It's not a class problem, it's that, once again, we should not award those who break the law. Would you allow someone to stay in your basement if they just crawled through a window? Would you allow this person to take your food? Your water? Clothes? Utilities? car?

I'm willing to say not, so why should we allow illegals to take the country we legally reside in?

EDIT: When i talk of mainstream American culture, I am talking about the major traditions of the likes of: 4th of July, Thanksgiving, our interpretation of Halloween, Our interpretation of Christmas/Hannukuh that are predominant in most lives, regardless of race or class. I understand blending of culture, but the minor things each race/class/religion/party are not mainstream, it is a fairly narrow concept.

Posted

I mean, America has Taco Bell.

I mean, think of this.

An illegal immigrant's family has the tradition of throwing sci-fi birthday parties.

A legal immigrant has the tradition of throwing sci-fi birthday parties.

Whether or not the immigrant is legal, his or her's culture is nothing new. Because we have no specific culture.

You shouldn't feel threatened by culture by numbers. Culture is a thing that changes. 'American' culture is not Christian, middle class, Caucasian male. It is made up of fiestas. And Oktoberfest. And taking off your shoes before you enter a house. And face veils. Whatever. It's all there.

1.)I'm not going to learn Spanish. I have no desire to learn Spanish. I do want to, and am however, learning German. I should be allowed to do that, because one day I plan on visiting Germany. However, I shouldn't have to change my language because of someone coming into my country, they should have to change their language if they want to come here.

2.)Where I live there is a larger French-Canadian population. But, I don't see them getting any special treatment (IE no French Subtitles).

3.)Mixed cluture is what makes America unique. However, we shouldn't be forced to change our cultural belifs based on what another group wants, unless its terribly (and directly) offensive to them. If everyone had the same cluture, the world would be reduced to a stick in the mud.

4.)And its not just cultural differences anymore. I just went up to a local party store for a bottle of water for school tommorow. They had a sign-Now accepting Pesos.

Posted

I was talking to Lethe, Socrates. But good points.

Still, you're blowing it out of proportion. US citizens' cars or homes are not taken because of illegal immigrants. You can say the same about legal ones.

Mainstream culture isn't the US' definitive culture, also, as I've stated before. It just depends on numbers.

I would like to point out, GMP, that you completely missed the point of everything I said in an almost comical fashion and also haven't responded to something that doesn't even have anything to do with your beliefs, being the suggestion that you make your choices less suggestive.

I'm thinking of just blocking you.

If we're going to be friends, I would like it if you weren't a friend who picks and chooses what his friend says to respond to. I listen to you, you listen to me.

Communication and all that.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I'm not okay with Asian immigration. Period.

I hate going to Sydney or Melbourne, even just 25 kms to Woden, for Christ's sake, and seeing Asians EVERYWHERE. MORE ASIANS THAN EUROPEANS, HERE. THIS IS AUSTRALIA NOT CHING CHONG'S PALACE OR WHATEVER

Posted

I was talking to Lethe, Socrates. But good points.

Still, you're blowing it out of proportion. US citizens' cars or homes are not taken because of illegal immigrants. You can say the same about legal ones.

Mainstream culture isn't the US' definitive culture, also, as I've stated before. It just depends on numbers.

I would like to point out, GMP, that you completely missed the point of everything I said in an almost comical fashion and also haven't responded to something that doesn't even have anything to do with your beliefs, being the suggestion that you make your choices less suggestive.

I'm thinking of just blocking you.

If we're going to be friends, I would like it if you weren't a friend who picks and chooses what his friend says to respond to. I listen to you, you listen to me.

Communication and all that.

Sahaqiel

Wasn't meant to really be the same, what I would take from your home and what I would take from a government are hardly the same, it's just a small scale, replace your car with foodstamps and home with social security. And mainstream would be considered the GENERAL culture of a country that, by definition, has no real culture.

I have no problem with people who obtain citizenship, and work under the law to have these things, it's when the law is circumvented then there is a problem, and one that needs to be addressed. Deportation being the harshest way to take care of it. I would say a fine for the lawbreaking, then backtaxes, we should allow illegals the chance to become legal, and deport them if they refuse or fail to comply. Someone who is not willing to comply with the laws of America, which are definite and binding to all who are in it's borders, legally or not, should not be allowed to live here.

Oh, and we should not have the taxpayers pay to keep an illegal immigrant in jail.

Posted

Sahaqiel, no one group is America's culture. Every group that inhabits America is a part of its culture. However, there are many illegals who come into the country, and expect everybody to conform to their culture and language.

Posted

And saha, I removed the funny and not serious parts.

I'm not okay with Asian immigration. Period.

I hate going to Sydney or Melbourne, even just 25 kms to Woden, for Christ's sake, and seeing Asians EVERYWHERE. MORE ASIANS THAN EUROPEANS, HERE. THIS IS AUSTRALIA NOT CHING CHONG'S PALACE OR WHATEVER

Is this guy racist, or what?