Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

whats a good program for playing with mp3's?

18 posts in this topic

Posted

so, I want to play with some mp3s I have. But I don't know any programs for doing so. I'm trying audacity, but its not making alot of sense. If anyone wants to help me out here, that'd be great.

Posted

what do you mean by playing with?

Posted

editing, mixing, etc. disk jockey stuff.

Posted

The problem is, mp3s are a proprietary format, so there aren't many free programs out there that can manipulate them. You might have to just learn how to use audacity. Open source utility programs tend to have a steep learning curve, but there are a bunch of audacity tutorial videos on Youtube.

Posted

Audacity is actually one of your most coolio bets right now.

I mean, you have to learn how to use it. It's like Photoshop, or 3D modeling programs. Yous gotsta' learn the ropes or you won't have any alternatives that are good and end up like Specever who uses websites to edit his stuff. (No offense, Specever, on the off chance you actually look at this thread.)

If you look at YouTube, there are loads of really cool music/remixes done in Audacity.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I know, thats where I learned how awesome mixing was and that I wanted to do it.

More importantly, whats the best way to learn how to use audacity?

I think the main problem I'm having is that all the songs I want to edit are on mp3's. Everytime I import an mp3 all that plays is static, no matter how I import it. Whats the best way to get those songs to play on audacity, since they won't play because of the fact they're in mp3 form? how do I make this work?

Posted

They should be working fine?

Right click your mp3s and select "Open with..." and choose Audacity.

Or rather than importing, click "Open" under File and choose an mp3.

That's what I do.

Sahaqiel

Posted

wait, so how do I get to the mp3 file, then? because apparently Itunes library is not the same thing.

and whenever I open songs like that it does the same thing it does when I tell it to import. :P

Posted

Maybe it's because they're .m4a? That's the format that iTunes uses when you download from it or rip music from a CD.

Posted

dang. is there anyway to get .m4a's to work, then?

Posted

I have no clue. Sorry.

Posted

dang. well where do I get stuff in m4a format?

Posted

Convert it to .mp3 with onlinevideoconverter.com, dude. It will take a while, but it will get the job done. I think itunes can do it to, or it used to be able to. Now it only creates AAC versions, I believe.

Posted

Mixcraft. :)

Posted

You can also use VLC to convert the audio. It's also a pretty good media player.