Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Challenging Authority

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Subject: School Dress Code

Recipient: Dr. Grant (Head Teacher)

This message isn't meant to insult, but more make a suggestion regarding our current dress code. Yes, I am aware of the fact this is a much argued, tired out issue among pupils and teachers, and you would expect this to consist of "It sucks put it back", but it wont, though that is pretty much the gist of my proposition. But wait! I have reasoning.

First, some background. I adhere to our dresscode, and respect that it is what I chose during my second year of high school. I am not here to speak on behalf of my own opinion, as that has already been spent. I speak on behalf of those who should now be in years 1, 2 and 3, who were not part of my generation of pupils, given the choice form and asked to select our desired attire for the remainder of our school years.

Granted that many pupils leave school in years 5 and 6, those whose opinions go uncounted are now the majority population of pupils in our school. I believe that given this fact, we should consider a possible recounting of opinions to properly express the views of your students.

I understand that the dress code is flexible to allow students to express themselves in the way they dress, but as someone who has lived long enough to understand will know, things will change. Opinions will vary year by year and you can't stick to the same generations opinion for very long until it's time to revamp and modernise to suit the new wave.

I have no real proposition as such, except that there may be a time when you'll have to take a second look at your students and take a second opinion. To match the change in "who voted and who didn't", I think a new vote should be applied every 3 years, to ensure all heads are counted, and not just those of the many who have already moved on.

I hope this has made some effect on you, or made you think at least. A reply would be great. If I'm totally missing something here, I'm sorry. Just correct me, and I'll rethink, I'm not as arrogant as a lot of people are. If things aren't going my way, but with perfect reason, I'll give up an argument. And honestly, I'm actually pretty worried about sending this. I know you'll have my name from this message, so I guess I'll save you the time of finding my class and whatnot and just outline my details here. Sending this as an e-mail is much easier than confronting someone outright about my views as I get time to think over what I'm saying and make sure I'm explaining myself as best I can. And I hope I have.

Any questions or issues, e-mail me back. Hope to hear soon. I'm dreading how this will go down.

~Robbie Kieran, 5S4

Shit hits the fan.

It's go time.

Posted

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable email to me.

Posted

Yup. I'm hoping it goes down well, and all people I've shown it to say I've got a good point here.

I'm already planning my course of action for outcomes I can think of. If I'm confronted about sending this email to the school, I'll argue that it's difficult to approach someone with so much information and give it word for word without explaining something wrongly. And that they shouldn't be complaining, because this is what they want. They want feedback, and I'm giving them some.

Mixture of pride and anxiousness going on here.

Posted

thats a good idea. I think I'll cut out the last paragraph and send it to my principal, and just call it "The Robbie Regime" instead.

Posted

That was badass.

Posted

I don't think you'll have any problems. I've done some confrontational things at my school and nothing bad has happened to me. I don't know your school, but the letter is so polite that only a complete ass would get onto you about it.

Posted

Very well written, that is the proper way to go about changing things at school. The only thing I would change is any par where you say you are worried or dreaded about sending it, you want to be forceful, yet polite, and you want to show resolve, not weakness or fear. Other than that, pretty well perfect.

Posted

let us know how this turns out. I want to try it.

Posted

Seems fine to me.

Posted

I don't see anything wrong with your letter. It's quite polite, really, and well written. There is no (logical) reason your head teacher would take it badly.

Posted

Did you send it or get a response yet?

Posted

It's not happening. It's one of those things that you have to accept. You are asking for a lot from the head teacher. You should feel like a petty douche, because you seem like one.

Oh you.

And I have sent it. I sent it before I made this topic.