Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lent

39 posts in this topic

Posted

I have always been really lax on Lent, either because I was too young to understand or appreciate the season, or that I felt disassociated from my church and from God.

Well, this year's Lent comes up... surprisingly soon. Ash Wednesday is on the 17th?

Are there any Christians here? What do you do for Lent? Do you give up meat? Eat it except for Fridays? Go vegan for the 40 days? Do you take one meal a day?

Or do you resolve to give up something you like?

Do you resolve instead to volunteer or do something good?

Do you even do anything at all?

Other than my parents, I haven't had anyone to talk about this with. How do you/your families do this?

Posted

I stop wearing this wig that I've been fooling you all with for a whole week.

Posted

wait, I thought you weren't even wearing a wigOHHOWLYSHIZZAH

Posted

We don't have Lent.

Posted

Yes, pheonix.

My hair was SECRETLY FAKE THE WHOLE TIME.

Posted

I didn't know what lent was until I was 14

so

I've never participated in it

Posted

Ah, is it time for Lent already? Well...I gave up chocolate last year. This year, I have no idea what I can give up. Suggestions? I don't want it to be food-based this year...

Posted

What the hell is lent?

Posted

What? True Gamer, there generally is ALWAYS a food based part of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent

Lent is the 40 days before Easter. It prepares us for and commemorates the most important holiday on the Christian calendar (Easter is actually the important holiday, not Christmas). The 40 days represent a bible story (or perhaps it is a series of bible stories, I'm not sure) in which Jesus spends 40 days in the desert and reportedly goes without food the whole time. The devil comes down, sees him in his weak state, and tries to tempt him to bow down to him and denounce God, to perform frivolous miracles, etc. He resists temptation, all is well.

So just like how Jesus gave up food for the 40 days, most denominations of Christians give up something. Some people fast for a day, or only eat one meal. The general expectation is that you don't eat meat on Fridays. Some areas of the world go vegetarian or vegan, or just eat bread for those 40 days. Some people give up a favorite food or drink, like True Gamer giving up chocolate. Instead of giving up something, some people pledge to help the community, or spend more time in prayer, etc.

Posted

I gave up fried chicken for lent one year. My family called bullcrap on that and had fried chicken on the first night. I persevered.

Posted

Yeah, but I want to see if I could give up more than just food this year. Last year I focused on not having chocolate, this year I want to test myself a bit more. Maybe I'll add "no soda", or "no shopping"...something that is somewhat hard, but doable.

Posted

I gave up fried chicken for lent one year.

HOW

Posted

I do fat Tuesday. That's it

Posted

So hey, who wants my wig?

Posted

My church doesn't do Lent, but we do fast the first Sunday of every month.