Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZW Exclusive: The Darkness That Zelda Deserves

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Here and there Zelda Wiki contributors will present us with articles in which are capable of becoming a "Zelda Wiki Exclusive."

In this round [url="http://zeldawiki.org/User:Cipriano_119"]Brent McBride, a.k.a Cipriano 119,[/url] presents us with his article "The Darkness That Zelda Deserves" which you can read by [url="http://zeldawiki.org/Zelda_Wiki.org:The_Darkness_That_Zelda_Deserves"]clicking here[/url].

[i]"Imagine Link facing Ganondorf in the center of Hyrule Field. The Castle is visible against the stark, stormy night, a white beacon of tradition rising from the foothills of the landscape. The night is alone. Ganondorf has the unconscious Princess Zelda on the ground below him. 'The Hero of Time stands before me,' says Ganondorf, 'as tragic as ever, torn between two equal evils – tell me, Link, would you rather spare your precious princess and the royal bloodline at the expense of Castle Town or have me kill the princess, and tell my minions placed strategically about the village to scatter. You decide. If you cannot choose, they both will die.'"[/i]

There are already a few Wiki Exclusives in which you can find by [url="http://zeldawiki.org/Category:Wiki_Exclusives"]clicking here[/url].

Posted

I don't understand what this has to do with anything.
Sahaqiel

Posted

[quote name='Sahaqiel' date='07 February 2010 - 05:10 AM' timestamp='1265519455' post='275913']
I don't understand what this has to do with anything.
Sahaqiel
[/quote]

Same.

Posted

Actually, I think they could pull it off.

Posted

Yeah, I don't really get it, either. Though it does sound like some evil thing Gannon would do.

Posted

GANON
GAAANOOOON.

Anyways, Zelda totally doesn't need to be dark to be good. ;/
Like really?
Come on.
Sahaqiel

Posted

Agreed. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda, in fact. But that's not to say I wouldn't like a nice dark one.

Posted

Didn't this already happen? It wasn't really a choice, but in Ocarina of Time, Link pretty much handed Ganondorf the Triforce on a silver platter, thereby causing the destruction and redead-ification of Hyrule Castle Town.

Posted

That there is a good point.
But the author is suggesting he willingly, with full awareness of consequence, sacrifice Hyrule.

Why such a random plot element though? I mean really? The way he puts it it's like sacrificing Hyrule is the only good thing they could do. The way he puts it, it's like sacrificing one's homeland is something all great literature does and is the only dark thing that was ever good.
Come on.
Sahaqiel

Posted

So... The "author" just kind of gives us all an ultimatum out of nowhere and argues both sides.

And this is all unsolicited. Lol.

Posted

Damn streight, totally agree with the artical ^^

Posted

That one sentence just destroyed much of your credibility in this matter, Chrno.
Sahaqiel

Posted

Sorry, but I think a storyline like sacrificing hyrule would be creditable and great. Alot of the fans of the N64 games are grown up now, they want to see a bit of grit. Yes, keep the puzzle element, thats the reason I like Zelda, but I would like to see the games take a darker tone.

Posted

Well they tried to set more of a darker element into the Zelda franchise when they made Twilight Princess (no pun intended), and if a cutscene involving a giant possessed ice-hurling snowbeast woman, alongside a scene where Link loses his pupils and starts screaming like a maniac aren't scary enough, I don't know what is. o_o (That one boss battle still creeps me out quite a bit.)

But anyways, this article makes... erm, interesting points. I wouldn't mind a darker Zelda, but I wouldn't want it to go so far as to see blood being spilt every which way.
I agree with Saha. Zelda doesn't need to be darker in order to be good.

Posted

[quote name='Eka' date='09 February 2010 - 11:40 PM' timestamp='1265758852' post='276558']
Well they tried to set more of a darker element into the Zelda franchise when they made Twilight Princess (no pun intended), and if a cutscene involving a giant possessed ice-hurling snowbeast woman, alongside a scene where Link loses his pupils and starts screaming like a maniac aren't scary enough, I don't know what is. o_o (That one boss battle still creeps me out quite a bit.)

But anyways, this article makes... erm, interesting points. I wouldn't mind a darker Zelda, but I wouldn't want it to go so far as to see blood being spilt every which way.
I agree with Saha. Zelda doesn't need to be darker in order to be good.
[/quote]

I agree with the blood element. I mean like the storyline. ^^