Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Big Dumb Timeline Question

24 posts in this topic

Posted

The most commonly excepted theory regarding the Zelda time line is that at the end Ocarina of Time, Link was sent back in time and changed history, creating two alternate time lines; one "Child Time line" and one "Adult Time line". The traditional convention is that Twilight Princess occurs in the Child Timeline, and the Wind Waker is the future of the Adult Timeline. But there is one huge contridiction to this idea:

The backstory of Wind Waker states that when boys reach the age of the Hero of Time, they are given green clothes in remembrance of the Hero's legendary deeds. Yet the Hero that saved them was Adult- the age associated with the Hero of Time is that of Young Link, whom is not legendary among the people in the Adult Timeline.

Plot Hole of Ultimate Annoyance (P.H.U.A.)

Also, how can the Hero of Winds be the reincarnation of the Hero of Time if he never died in the Adult Timeline? Another P.H.U.A.

Me? I just explain everything away with "Single Timeline-No Split", and walk away happy.

Posted

The age is where he started his quest

your secound question is inn my Wind Waker discussion

Posted

And how would anybody have known about that little detail? All of Hyrule and its great history has been almost totally forgotten, and yet the people can still remember what age the Hero of some ancient legend began his quest? Which was years before he ever did anything revelent to the Adult Timeline at all?

Posted

princess Zelda

Posted

princess Zelda

Please explain.

Posted

Easy she tell everyone in Hyrule everything Link has done and a certain group of people that later inhabited WW Link's island started a tradition in witch once a boy reaches the same age as when the Hero of Time started his journey they have to wear a green tunic and you know the rest

Posted

The Hero of Winds is not a reincarnation of the Hero of Time, he is a completely new Link. Adult Link was sent back in time, so the world he left behind (the future) had no Link. When Ganon returned, the people expected Link to save them, but he did not appear. This is all explained at the very beginning of Wind Waker. This new Link is of no relation whatsoever to the Hero of Time, except that his name is Link and he's on a quest to save the world.

About your other point, there really isn't a good explanation. Perhaps they knew he time traveled and his real self was the child? Or perhaps WW Link is the same age as OoT adult Link. That seems far fetched, but they never really say his age.

Posted

I find the whole idea of him being a whole new Link rather jarring. But I suppose I'd buy that. Still, at some point don't they specifically call him a reincarnation?

Yet how do they recall this one insignificant detail and forget nearly everthing else?

Posted

nor in any game do they state his age

Posted

The only one to say that is Ganondorf, and he's showing signs of dementia. He says something to the effect of "You truly are the Hero of Time reborn." However, everyone else in the game (Deku Tree, King of Red Lions, Jabun) knows that he has no relation to the Hero of Time. It should be noted that the Deku Tree mistook him for the Hero of Time at first, because he was wearing the green tunic.

Posted

The fact that he is a completely new Link is explained in the Wind Waker.

Also, we know without a shadow of a doubt that Ocarina of Time has two endings...

"...Ocarina of Time basically has two endings of sorts; one has Link as a child and the other has him as an adult. This game, The Wind Waker, takes place a hundred years after the adult Link defeats Ganon at the end of Ocarina..." - Aonuma

"...There's also a more complicated explanation. If you think back to the end of The Ocarina of Time, there were two endings to that game in different time periods. First Link defeated Ganon as an adult, and then he actually went back to being a child. You could say that The Wind Waker takes place 100 years after the ending in which Link was an adult..." - Zelda Homepage.

We know that Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks all take place after the Adult ending, and Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess are after the Child ending.

Posted

and yet they believe the hero of time could live that long might point out reincarnation

Posted

The only one to say that is Ganondorf, and he's showing signs of dementia.

Hmmm, good point.

I just assumed that the ancient guardian folks thought he wasn't the Hero because the tradition of dressing boys in green had made it so any Hylian from Outset could look like the Hero of Time. Or that they had exspected the original, living breathing Hero who defeated Ganon centuries ago to actually return some how.

Still, it is curious that they thought it was atleast remotely possible that the Hero of Time could come back and save them, even though he had disappeared for good. Maybe they hoped he would travel through time to their era when Ganon reamerged?

Meh, I pretty much ignore official annoucements by Nintendo. The creators' ideas are subject to change, and I doubt many of them really care at all what order the games go in.

Posted

but what if bear with me here the goddesses actully create a new Link every time instead of reincarnation

Posted

Meh, I pretty much ignore official annoucements by Nintendo. The creators' ideas are subject to change, and I doubt many of them really care at all what order the games go in.

I disagree. I think they didn't care much about the chronology until Ocarina of Time, but after that, they've been careful to point out each game's place in the story.