Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Video Games Are Now Good for Your Health

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Not too long ago, I was raving about weight-loss due to dieting.

Well, I haven't been talking about that lately. You see, what had happened was I kinda had this yo-yo effect. Things were going well for me, but I slipped and pretty much ended up back where I started.

So I said screw it, and hopped on the treadmill.

Running tired me out, hurt my ankles, etc. etc. I tried walking, and it wasn't that bad. Relaxing, actually.

That's when it hit me. I play games all the time, and I'm always sitting when I play. I'm sitting there all that time and not doing anything, not active at all. I could be walking, dammit.

The formula was simple enough. Gears of War 2 + Treadmill = Health. So I hooked up my 360 in the living room with the screen and got on the 'mill.

At first it was difficult. Gears probably wasn't the best choice. It's a game where you've gotta keep moving constantly, and when your mind is in two places at once, walking and playing, panic comes very easily when you've got two shotguns, a few riflemen, and a dude who's got a flamethrower surrounding you. I almost fell a few times, hit the back of my heels on the back end of the treadmill. I found that resting my controller on the treadmill's panel while I play gives me stability. It was still a little shakey here and there, but I could play, and it was fun. Hell, I'm about to get back to it after I post this. Even if it's a little shakey right now, practice makes perfect. It's like playing an instrument such as a guitar or piano, where your hands have to be doing two different things at once.

So my goal is to get at least a little thinner by the time the Halo: Reach beta drops, which is two weeks from now. We'll see how it goes! :D

Posted

That's sounds coolio actually. Have fun.

Posted

Fantastic luck!

Posted

I am impressed by your valiant effort to counterbalance unhealthy video games with the common treadmill. It is certainly more than I've ever done.

Posted

Man if I had a treadmill I would totally do this all the time.

Posted

My goal right now is to get with a friend on XBL and beat Gears 2 on hardcore together, then bump it up to insane.

Practice makes perfect, I might end up playing just as well as I could when I was sitting. Plus, it's immersive as hell when you're walking along with your character.

Posted

I used to want to do this all the time, but our family never got a treadmill.

So I was like, lame.

We actually did get one, but it stayed in the garage.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Methinks I need a treadmill. And a game that doesn't rely on motion control, for that matter.

Posted

Aw, you haven't beaten gears on insane? I was just playing through it on insane again because I was bored :P

though I suppose its probably harder if you play with a friend, because you have to blame him for him dying too much, or blame yourself for him dying too much, Or Blame him for you dying too much, or blame yourself for you dying too much, etc.

Posted

This has inspired me to, when I get to college, take my DS to the college's fitness center and use it on the treadmills.

Posted

Aw, you haven't beaten gears on insane?

Nah I've beaten it, I just wanna run through them on the 'mill.

Posted

Jo if I ever get online for my box we are playing together.

And I will have a sniper rifle and you will have a shotgun and we will kill and they will die :)

Posted

^ The two things I need to get goot at Gears multi is sheer tactically effective craziness, and shotgun skillz. Working on both.

Posted

shotgun skillz are hard to master, yeah. People just run up to each other and punch and shoot and punch and shoot. what do you mean tactical effective craziness?

Posted

i was reluctant to buy the wii fit plus with balance board, but i got it anyways. i was very surprised at all the things u could do with it. its great fun especially when u have a friend there with u because it can get pretty competitive.