Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Killing gay people- now legal...er!

109 posts in this topic

Posted

Funny how that whole voting thing works, especially when it is mostly countries that operate under religious law systems and dictators that vote on the issue. The UN is a joke.

This will not change how LGBT's are treated in westernized society, nor would a decree protecting them actually protect them. Keep in mind the same group also protects you from being needlessly executed for religion, gender, race, and political affiliation. We see how well that works.

Posted

this makes me all sorts of angry

Posted

I also feel the need to point out that the UN doesn't make law...

Posted

Skippy makes a really good point. I am too tired to look into this more than that.

Posted

This pisses me off a lot.

Posted

Gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people were once again subject to the whims of homophobia and religious and cultural extremism this week, thanks to a United Nations vote that removed “sexual orientation” from a resolution that protects people from arbitrary executions. In other words, the UN General Assembly this week voted to allow LGBT people to be executed without cause.

In other words, the UN General Assembly this week voted to allow straight people to be executed without cause.

It goes both ways, its only viewed like that because the majority of people are straight.

Posted

It goes both ways, its only viewed like that because the majority of people are straight.

Yea, I'll start worrying about that when there is a nation made entirely of gay people.

Posted

It'll last a whole 50 years.

If that.

Posted

I have to admit, there is an inherent weakness to an organization like the UN that wants to promote civil rights while respecting a nation's sovereignty. The only way to bring lasting change is internal reform of the government; diplomacy will never succeed in changing a country driven by its cultural bias. Basically, the UN will never get anywhere unless it comes up with a way to convince these countries that their entire religiously-driven agenda is flawed, and that's not about to happen.

Posted

It's not always religiously driven, you know. North Korea sucks pretty badly and they aren't even allowed to have religion. Unless you count worshiping their leader, but that's a different story.

Posted

You are correct, it's not always religious driven, but if it's not a theocracy, it's a dictatorship.

Let me ask you this, do you truly believe that if the UN sanctioned a protection for homosexuals, that it would matter to North Korea, Saudi, Afghanistan or the like?

Posted

Oh no, not at all. It's more of the principle of the matter. You know?

Like, we, the United States, are apart of an organization that says it's okay to kill people for being gay, lesbian, etc.

Posted

Yes, we are also a part of an organization that doesn't allow the death penalty or war in the middle east, it's an absolutely worthless organization that lost all purpose after the cold war.

Posted

Yes, we are also a part of an organization that doesn't allow the death penalty or war in the middle east, it's an absolutely worthless organization that lost all purpose after the cold war.

Good point. But you can see how something like this would get on one's nerves.