Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What do you think of Wikileaks?

63 posts in this topic

Posted

Personally, I prefer Wookie Leaks over Wiki Leaks, but that's just a Star-Wars fetish. (Love you if you know where I stole that from)

Though I do enjoy their frequent "dumps."

Posted

It's a twitter page, isn't it? Not sure beyond that....

Posted

Should a person be persecuted for revealing important truths that would otherwise go unnoticed and uncared for?

I don't know, man.

Posted

here's another question, should PFC Manning, the alleged source of some of the most publicized leaks, be found guilty of espionage and revealing state secrets for knowingly leaking clasified information while feigning listening to lady gaga?

Posted

Wookie Leaks is a joke from the Colbert Report, Skippy.

Posted

Ah, Don't watch it. I did get linked to it a couple days ago from twitter from a friend on facebook though, that's all I had heard.

ETA: looks like it was taken down

Posted

Let me put this into prespective what I see him as doing:

He's playing tennis, and he's really good at it. However, he is playing it with a football. I want to hear information and leaks relavant to stuff happening within our borders.

Posted

Dig a little deeper, it's there.

Posted

When it involves wrongdoings, I think espionage doesn't really count as bad anymore.

If it's about some super secret thing that will probably go unnoticed and not harm anyone, or designs and concepts, then it's sort of a dick thing to do.

Posted

OK Saha, let's put stakes on it, there is a possibility that breaches containing military strategy and armament information fall into enemy hands. Say, our missile defense system being cut in certain areas, or simply what our major troop movements are going to be. This could lead to deaths, is it a big deal then?

Posted

OK Saha, let's put stakes on it, there is a possibility that breaches containing military strategy and armament information fall into enemy hands. Say, our missile defense system being cut in certain areas, or simply what our major troop movements are going to be. This could lead to deaths, is it a big deal then?

I had steak today, and later I had meatloaf. :>

Posted

It's a pretty big deal.

This would fall under design and concepts. If the military were doing something wrong and covering it up, then leaking the wrongdoing would be the right thing to do. For instance, the first page details a leaked video of troops killing people in an area indiscriminately, which is a wrongdoing. If it's just regular non war crimes, then stuff's cool and doesn't need to be leaked. Rather, shouldn't be leaked.

Posted

cool, sorry to push, but I wanted to see where the line got drawn.

I'm actually right there with you, as long as what is leaked does not compromise our national security, and is just embarrassing, no big deal, and really should be aired. To make it simple.

Although I also believe there is more to it than that, I don't know what all is in what has been released, and I don't know the full story of any videos our what information the soldiers had at any given point in time. If anything, it gives us a chance, as a country to air our dirty laundry and explain any misconceptions there might be.

Posted

I am ok with a lot of the stuff that gets put up, basically anything that doesn't compromise security. But the thing that pisses me off are the people who say "The government should have nothing to hide from its people" and stuff like that. In a perfect world the government wouldn't have to, but they do have to keep certain secrets actually secret, considering the fact that there are people who abuse the knowledge. It's not so much that they want to keep secrets from their citizens, but more that they don't want dangerous peoples like terrorists and stuff to get such information.