Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

iPod classic vs 120 GB zune GO!

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Ive been raging for a while now.....

basically, my (approx $300) zune fell off my lofted dorm bed (about a 5'6" drop) and totally stopped working (played a few songs then went totally nuts) gave me the zune equivalent of the red ring of death

all this, despite being built like a brick and having a plastic protective case.

now, i HATE apple. almost inexplicably. i guess it started when i borrowed my friends ipod, and i tried to rip her music to my computer (yeah, stupid, i know) also the fact that i couldnt sync anything on her ipod w/o first completely wiping the drive. user friendly. really.

but anyway.

after looking up the error online and seeing all the mass rage going on, as well as the chance that if i sent it in, they *might* send back an 80 GB thing (again, mine is 120 GB) if they sent back anything at all. Basically, whichever i go with, i want it to freaking LAST this time, and not fall victim to a 5' drop. So, from personal experience, which one is worth it--repairing my zune (about 120ish depending on the place) or just going "f*ck it" and switching to apple?

i dont care about pretty interface, and as far as colors go there arent any. i just want something that will handle my ~70 GB of music, and not make me reorganize everything. oh, and not break easily.

Posted

Get a machined aluminum alloy case for it, with the inner part lined with protective foam. That should do the trick. Its expensive and/or complicated though.

Posted

unfortunately, its too late for that ;-;

ironically, the plastic case is *unscathed*

Posted

I've had both. Get the iPod classic.

Posted

lol, though im kainda curious why?

Posted

Music providers nowadays are personal preference. Ever since DRM was taken off, there's no substantial reason to go with iTunes or Zune or Sony or anyone else. It's all aesthetics or movies/television content. iTunes, in my opinion, is better than Zune due to the substantial App store, though you won't have access to that with the classic. The Zune Marketplace is more aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, definitely, but iTunes is very clean, so this is also personal preference. If you have any movies/tv shows on either iTunes or Zune, stay with that one. Don't switch, because they still have DRM.

I chose Apple largely because, back when I bought the Classic, I knew they were coming out with the iPod Touch soon and would have an App store. I was largely dismayed to find out that the Classic wouldn't support it, but I have since purchased an iPhone and am largely satisfied with the vast amount of Apps available. I had the Zune long before the Classic, and it always served me well. It did end up breaking, which is what led to my purchase of the Classic. Last year, I bought a Zune HD to see what all the hype with it is. The screen was amazing and vibrant, but the App store was abysmal. So I returned it and am satisfied with my iPhone and iTunes, for now. But, there is one thing with Zune that could change me later on.

Now, here's the deal with Zune. They offer a subscription-based plan that, for $9.99 a month, you can download unlimited songs. And, at the end of that month, you get to choose 10 songs to keep, forever. Now think about that for a second. If you can find just 10 songs that you would have bought otherwise, you just got a free month of listening to whatever other songs you wanted. Right now, I can't really find 10 songs that I just need to have, but for a musical enthusiast, this is an amazing deal.

However, even with that deal, I own a Mac and Zune is not supported on the Mac hardware. So, I'd have to use Bootcamp and Windows 7 to use Zune, and that isn't very ideal. So with all that in mind, it's fairly easy to see why I went with iTunes and the iPod.

But to get back to the initial question, Classic vs Zune, I would say Classic because it has yet to break and I've had it longer than I had the Zune. If you want to take the risk, that's fine, but I'd actually recommend the Zune HD over the original.

Overall, though, whatever decision you make is a good one. Both Apple and Microsoft make quality products and your final decision is based on personal preference, future purchases, and convenience.

Posted

I personally can't stand apple's interface in any software they make, I hate iTunes for all the same reasons you do. And in my experience any non solid state drive device such as Ipods, Zunes, or just about anything with a hard drive will not like a fall from more than 4 feet. So I would stick with the Zune (I've had my 30 and 80 gb versions since they came out and never had a problem) especially since the only ipod with a hard drive I've owned hangs and crashes more than any device should. Although I've never had problems with apple's solid state drive devices such as Ipod touch/ Iphones. I would still stick to the zune if I were you.

Posted

i dont really use itunes or zunes version but this

But to get back to the initial question, Classic vs Zune, I would say Classic because it has yet to break and I've had it longer than I had the Zune. If you want to take the risk, that's fine, but I'd actually recommend the Zune HD over the original.

is a convincing argument.

and as far as interfaces go, i feel like theyre the same thing, as when i switched from my sansa 8 GB to my zune 120 the "this feels like an ipod :<" was huuuuuuuge. however, ipod has some interface quirks, like *not* having to scroll to get to a certain letter, that make it more user friendly (except when you try to connect it to another computer. ughhhhh) but it still has not-so-good quirks (like said computer-ness) that make you wanna chuck it out the window.

really, ive only handled an ipod for a week though. about four years ago. and that ipod was a few years old to begin with.

basically, zune gave off this desperate "i can be an ipod too i swear!" vibe, to me, except, yeah, without apps.....and anything people actually associate with ipod, and ect ect ect.

That said, im just gonna be playing music, lol >.> but having seen my bros ipod touch, yeah, those apps are sweeeeeeet looking. (although my bro has pretty much no music on it >.<)

Posted

lol, 'tis why i got a zune after my bro got a touch.....it was shiny, but i just wanted something infinitely bigger than my puny sansa

im kainda curious how old/how many gig yours has, though more so is the question of if youd have to ship it overseas >.<

Posted

I made it a point to get an ipod classic when I was getting a new ipod. I have no reason to use apps. All I ever do is listen to the music. I would have gotten a shuffle if it weren't for the fact that I needed a screen to see what I was choosing.

Posted

im in america >.> but i swear half the people here are from other countries so idk.

lol, i figured if i was gonna switch, i might as well go *up* again to a 160 as well.

pheo, how old is that ipod? and have you dropped it from a decent height yet?

actually, after my zune broke and i told my mac/ipod using friend, she came to my room, said "hey look" TOSSED her ipod into the air, let it hit the floor, then started playing music with it ;-;

also, is apples customer support good? like, *if* something breaks, would they be like "oh, 's cool, well send ya a new one! and/or an upgrade for the trouble!" or like microsoft's "you had a 120, but we dont have those anymore, so you can have someones broke 120, or an 80. deal w it."?

Posted

herp derp account change=name history doesnt have everything

in the same way i have the worst time associating name/face and screename/realname.....

my friend dropped her nano off a crane or something......paint damage. that was the same nano i messed with for a week, though its battery life was crap, compared to my sansa >.>

Posted

its probably cuz they have to use hard drives rather than flash drives.....i feel like all the miracle iSurvival stories are ipod nanos (flash drives) whereas when i got my zune, my computer-programmer dad was very mush "that thing has a hard drive. its sensitive. which means that it will probably break. really really likely to break."

and also probably because they have to compete appearance wise with apple and its slimness. actually, theres just not much competition with apple, period at this point, because they have such a massive following that expects everything to act like an ipod.

also, this:

fuc6kipodrecapcha.png

i dunno if this is a win for apple, or a fail.

Posted

one mouse button >.<

i grew up on PC so when i had to use a mac in art.....ugh.

but they gotta make stuff to go with the ipod.....make an iRoom. >.>

Posted

Say, LL, there was something ive been seeing while lurking around, and its that the ipod 160 GB has a decreased sound quality....have you noticed anything, or is it so stupidly subtle im being paranoid? or do you use the legendary POS headphones ipod makes, lol?

also i found this