7276 posts in this topic

Posted

>Not waiting for toonami

Posted

dont worry I was planning to watch it on toonami

Posted

Goooooooood....

Posted

A thing I've noticed, and am rather fond of, about Berserk is the way Guts swings his sword. I've begun reading again and I've ntoiced that his expertise with the blade is 2/3rds incredible strength, but 1/3 his style. When he goes into a big arc his whole body goes into it. When he's moving with it he's often bent down with the sword trailing behind, almost parallel to his torso. I love the details of Berserk. Things like that and

one of the best revenge stories in fiction

are what really sets it apart from just some gory seinen story. I can understand why drawing it can make Miura sick because, just off the top of my head, I cannot think of a "Quality" moment it. One of those weird random bits in an Anime or Manga where the art is sort of...off. He always seems to bat 100 when he draws, and the world he's made is mysterious and very interesting. I really hope when it finishes, something like the Hyrule Historia or the Lord of the Rings Legendarium comes out. Lots of interesting details, concept art and Maps. I NEED maps for the berserk world. Okay gushing over, back to reading.

Oh, oh, one other thing. In a lot of works as everyone gets more powerful you tend to get lost in characters who throw energy beams, and then thats all it is. I can't think of anyone as far as i've gotten who's thrown an energy beam. Just, a ball of energy. Thats cool

I think a big part of berserk's popularity, and part of everyone who hasn't seen it's general misconceptions of it, are that it's not "just another gory seinen" at all. Violence never occurs just for the sake of violence or letting the artist draw some ridiculous over the top grindhouse violence scene or something. All of the violence in berserk serves at least some purpose, even if it's just to show that a character is very very difficult to kill. Or that a character has lots of killing to do. But it's never anything less. You might even argue that the violence takes a back seat to the story, if it weren't for the fact that the violence were so creative and okay I'm not about to get started talking about berserk. But you probably won't ever see a world map of berserk, however much both of us might want to see one. Uuuuuugh it has some of the best character development of anything ever I like berserk so muuuuuuch.

You can kind of find quality moments in the earliest volumes of berserk? Even then though they're not even "quality," just "somebody who's still finding their sense of space and things and clearly knows what to draw but doesn't have their sense refined yet." Like a few places where the perspective on a character's relationship with the plane they're standing on might be a little steep. That's just a common mistake for artists to make when they're still learning. It's not like the first three volumes are even bad or anything, by the end of the third volume I always say anyone reading the manga will be immutably hooked.

gvAkNS4.png

It's this panel. This one right here. Guts spends the entire first arc with the count being the evilest motherfucker anybody ever met. He's not even an antihero, he's a downright villain. But then right here, last page, Puck sees guts walking away with a really really sad reflective look on his face and tears in his eyes and he's like OH WOW, WHAT HAPPENED!? Cue the fourteen volume flashback golden age arc in which we learn why guts the black swordsman is so hateful.

By the way, what laser moments are you talking about?

Posted

I'm not talking about any.. Like, I can't think of anyone who shoots just energy beams in Berserk. Which is a good thing

Posted

Its because Guts is never at full health

Knuckle, pheonix561 and Agent Zako like this

Posted

If Guts just had time to relax for a few weeks and heal up he'd probably be able to arm-wrestle any of the God-Hand without breaking a sweat. The man killed 100 soldiers by himself back during the Golden Age arc, and he's only gotten more deadly since.

Posted

Holy shit, this opening is so damn catchy

Posted

Not Gaogaigar levels of catchy, but definitely not bad. I really need to watch some Brave Saga stuff. Looks fun.

Posted

If Guts let himself heal, the mangaka would be done by now/soon.

Posted

Berserk needs a beach episode

Posted

It does have one. They get attacked by Crocadiles

Agent Zako, T1g and pheonix561 like this

Posted

Demon crocodiles. It also has it's own cute moments, albeit they're very rare. And usually star either Schierke or Puck.

More importantly though, all of you need to be introduced to the very definition of magnificence that is Bagzerk(spoilery):

qipdH.jpg

QW0vu.jpg

1Vc7d.jpg

PjlEs.jpg

rGsA2.jpg

1hqSp.jpg

9rPAW.jpg

bbIbe.jpg

Wjwbx.jpg

xGrSu.jpg

There's three more, but I'm at the image limit at the moment.

Wow, I should really reread this manga. It's been over a year since I picked up the last issue, and I'd forgotten how brilliant the art and story and everything was.

Posted

Maybe I should start reading Berserk...

Posted

YES MAYBE YOU SHOULD.