Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is this depression?

25 posts in this topic

Posted

I just want to say that while most of GMP's advice was good, crying is actually a biological mechanism that serves as a form of stress relief. When you get stressed, the body forms certain types of toxic chemicals, and crying gets them out of your system.

Posted

I just want to say that while most of GMP's advice was good, crying is actually a biological mechanism that serves as a form of stress relief. When you get stressed, the body forms certain types of toxic chemicals, and crying gets them out of your system.

I find that it makes me sadder.

Posted

Aw, Jared :< Reading this makes me really sad. You're one of the most cheery people on this forum (Cas gets the gold, sorry ;o) and it's just not right for you to be feeling like this. I'm sorry you are, but I'm glad you came out and told some of us. Letting negative feelings build up is just digging yourself into a hole.

Like Aethix said, none of us can really say what you're feeling is actually depression. But I can relate to what you're feeling, because I have indicators of depression during the winter, but it's different. A lot of things can contribute to how you're feeling, and treating them is all different. Clark's idea of taking a walk out in the sunshine is good. Sunshine, a good source of natural Vitamin D, can stimulate melatonin production, which heightens your mood - this is actually my problem, lol. I have to make myself go outside and stuff.

Exercise can help too. For me, exercising in the morning makes me refreshed and energizes me a lot for the rest of the day. It can also boost your mood too, I think. Along with this, eating healthy definitely contributes to mood. Processed foods often have things that make you feel tired, lethargic, and just wear down your overall feeling. Fresh food is not only healthier for you but also can make you feel better. Really.

Other than that, though, I would definitely try to see a doctor if this persists for too much longer. You're a great guy, and you know that! I noticed you haven't been around here much lately, but yeah, I'm glad you said something. You definitely need to get better soon. :>

Posted

so many red flags going up for depression right now.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees that sounds like depression, it cant be treated over the interwebs, of course, so you *will* have to go talk to a doctor. theres nothing wrong with admitting it though, as it can actually be genetically inherited (outside factors cause it too)

Posted

To be sad without a reason is typical too, is common in the teenagers.

I think you should see first to a psichologist, then he/she will know what to do.

Posted

Or you could save yourself some money and just chill out. It'll be fine. Once you get older and mature, and you become more sure of yourself, this will most likely clear up and it will all be good. What you're feeling is common in people of your age and can be easily coped with once you can come to terms with the fact that a few of your friends are probably going through a similar situation (Maybe not to the same extent- it's different for everybody, but it's not the end of the world)

Just try to do what you do, be yourself and all that shit.

Also, this song always cheers me up :]

Posted

(Note: If you go, go to a psychiatrist not psychologist. I know this is just me nit-picking but there is a difference.)

Go to a psychiatrist. ESPECIALLY, if it's been an ongoing problem for quite some time.

Posted

Jared, I said teenage angst because to me thats all it seems like, and you did ask if it was depression or not. And the fact that I saw this thread and I was leaving for school while I was posting so I didn't have time to go for an indepth post. The thing is, no one here is qualified to answer that, we can only give our opinions. See a psychiatrist, they can diagnose it. I said teenage angst because I don't think you should be so quick to jump to a mood disorder when you think something is wrong. BUT, it certainly could be. You have to make that decision to see the psychiatrist.

Posted

Personally I believe the best solution is to kill your parents but maybe that's just me.

Posted

Okay guys, i'm serious on this.

- It takes me a long time to sleep every day

- I get irritated or upset very easily

- I cry a lot

- It feels like everyone hates me

- I'm always feeling sorry for myself for no reason

- Death has crossed my mind, as well as suicide (But i'd never do it)

- Losing interest in video games I love, like Zelda :[

- Tired a lot of the time

- My back hurts randomly (I heard this could have to do with it)

- Always feel bored and never want to hang out with anyone (Not that I even have anyone to hang out with, at all :'( )

- I thought about cutting myself

- Failing a few classes

- Can't concentrate in school, especially in the afternoon, and always want to sleep or draw

I'm getting surgery in about two weeks or next month, but I don't think that has to do with it.

It feels like...I have absolutely no strength to go on.

I know I seem like a good guy and such, but I feel like i'm not. I just want to curl up into a ball and die with no one around me, because I barely have friends anymore as it is.

I feel like I just want my life to be over.

There are some flags for depression in there, for sure. As for things you can do yourself, sleep is a big factor in mood. To get to bed earlier, you can try things such as going to bed later (as GMP said), try maybe taking some melatonin supplements or valerian root thirty minutes to an hour before bed. You can also do things like taking the tv out of your room if you have one, blacking out your windows to block out light while sleeping (but take it off during the day), avoid caffeine and large meals after 7:30 or 8:00 PM, warm milk and things like lavender tea can be helpful as well. Try to avoid prescription sleep aids, they can have very bad side effects and reactions.

If you can get to a regular sleep schedule where you are getting six to eight hours a night consistently, and you are still having emotional issues, seeing a therapist is a good option (it's a good option anyway, but I assume you are like most who don't want to do that). Other than that, there have been some good options stated before, if you are feeling sad, go outside and get some air, especially on a warm sunny day, it is a natural mood elevator. Also, if you aren't already, start doing some mild working out everyday, it will produce a natural high, and helps boost self-esteem in the long run. It can be especially helpful after surgery.

Take what friends you have, and use them as a support structure, talk to them about what is going on, call them when things get bad, go out, do something fun, do something new. It's very bland, but it's all that I can really tell you to do over an online forum without a fair amount of time talking specifics. Basically though, when you are feeling weak is when you need to pull yourself up and try to do something, anything, other than just sit there, the first few times will be hard, but it really helps to break the depression cycle.

Nobody on this site is a qualified psychiatrist (except maybe Skippy, I'm not sure) and even if somebody was a qualified psychiatrist, you can't diagnose depression over the internet. If you really think you might have depression, you should set up an appointment with a real-life qualified psychiatrist.

I have a BS in Psychology and working on my post grad in behavioral analysis, I also have a counseling certificate, though I can't practice individually. Though you are right, depression is very hard to diagnose without face tie with a person by a qualified therapist.

(Note: If you go, go to a psychiatrist not psychologist. I know this is just me nit-picking but there is a difference.)

Go to a psychiatrist. ESPECIALLY, if it's been an ongoing problem for quite some time.

I recommend always seeing a psychologist first. The reasoning here, is that depression is like ADHD, it is far over-diagnosed and even more overmedicated. Today's psychiatrists tend to throw MAOI's and such at anyone who walks in with a sad face on. It is always better for the patient to treat with lifestyle changes and therapy first, before messing with brain chemistry. The drugs have their place, but other avenues should always be explored first, as the side effects can sometimes be much worse than the original depression.