• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Berlioz

Moblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:15 PM

How on earth would Kafei be able to go back in time?

I don't think you understood that I am not putting Kafei in Link's role. Kafei is Kafei. I'll just need a little push to make him search for Sakon earlier on and go to more places than just Ikana.

Regardless, thanks for the suggestion, yet the ending has been defined in my head for quite a while (I usually start with the ending).

#22 Berlioz

Moblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

Little orchestration experiment:

So far, it's just the original theme, although I already wrote sung interventions in a slightly longer version of this, which I obviously cannot deliver until I manage to gather some singers to record and deliver a sample or two of what I intend, musically.

#23 pheonix561

Most Exalted Potentate of Love

• +Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13330 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

So where did you learn to use DAW's like that? I've been struggling for a while to get on my feet with Logic Pro.

#24 Berlioz

Moblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:29 PM

I don't use DAWs or sequencers. xD

I record directly from the score composing program, Finale, with VST samples. The first thing is knowing orchestration theory itself. The rest is technical: Channels associated to staves, obeying the MIDI input of the written notes and a LOT of tiresome tweaking with expressions, dynamics, etc, in the program, so the score for the VSTs isn't the same as the score for the actual live performing orchestra (to think I'll have to clean the score of the entire opera after I'm done gives me a headache xD).

#25 Berlioz

Moblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:45 PM

Merry Christmas, people!

I come to show signs of activity and inform you that I have completed the first half-hour of the opera, and that you should expect samples with actual vocals somewhere in January.

For now, I give you instrumental samples from several parts of the still unfinished Act I.

Keep in mind that they're mostly just orchestrations of original themes because the real development usually happens with the singers (which is usually where I cut between the themes here, because there is no actual voice sound but a digital instrument emulating it, and we all know how those suck).

The only thing mildly "developed" in this sample is the superimposition of a modified Kafei and Anju's marriage theme (will be used as the leitmotif for their hope) on the Astral Observatory theme, along with some quotes from the Song of Healing (leitmotif for promisekeeping and obviously the Happy Mask Salesman).

By the way, for those who enjoyed my website's music, I only recently noticed my media players in the site's Works section were all down. I've put in new ones and there's much more music to listen to in that section than the 9 sample tracks on the home page.

#26 Berlioz

Moblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:03 AM

There is a lot more symbolism related to masks than the ones linked to interaction. A list of reactions to masks would make it rather sequential and predictable. The HMS develops a lot on the subject of masks as the story goes on, and I would even say the way the opera is structured allows for the use of masks to extend outside the story being told, to the way it is being told. I'm sorry about the vagueness of that last one, but it's something that is better understood only when seen. xD

Also, the two parallel quests for two completely different kinds of masks (along with Kafei's use of the Keaton Mask to hide) allow for thoughts about them to keep appearing.

#27 Berlioz

Moblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

Do you, now?

#28 Berlioz

Moblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

Here's an instrumental for a dance sequence. It's a battle that happens between the Deku and Odolwa. It might sound strange, yes, but all I can say so far is that in the story it is a consequence of giving Kafei a boost in his search for the Sun Mask.

#29 Berlioz

Moblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Here's an instrumental for the short celebration after Odolwa falls to the Deku, interrupted by the appearance of the Giant that is freed as a consequence.

Everything that follows is the background instrumental for the Giant's aria, so pardon the repetitiveness, since there are words to be sung over it.

It develops into other harmonies past the middle.

#30 Berlioz

Moblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

Just informing that the vocal samples will be late. I had said they would appear somewhere in January.

Well, it seems the date we managed to set up for ONE (hopefully two) of the recordings is two Sundays from now.

So... sorry about the wrong prediction.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: majora, mask, opera, bulteau, berlioz, composer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users