Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

20 Years of Kirby TV Commercials

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I just

I thought we could all appreciate this video

You can pretty much tell how they try so hard to add the edginess factor into the early commercials because they're so worried a little pink puffball wont sell in America, and it's funny how that doesn't compare to the way they advertise in japan. I remember someone pointing out to me that the only thing that changes in localization on kirby cover art between america and japan is kirby's facial expression, being more stern in America. That's goofy I think. But whenever they go overly edgy for kirby's display, usually its everyone being hardcore around him, and then getting outshone by him, instead of kirby being tougher than them by being even more of a tool. I can respect that, even if it's not selling the game for what it is with descriptions like "Fighting through enemies in level through nightmarish level" for games like Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland. Frankly, I'm just glad the descriptions get more and more kid friendly as they go. Glad to see we're progressing. In fact, here he is on the cover of kirby: superstar ultra without making that angry face!

Kirby%20Super%20Star%20Ultra%20cover%20art.jpg

Progress!

Also I'm going to go ahead and post the commercial to nightmare in dreamland because that has always been one of my favorite video game commercials ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfEMSITsZHQ

The song is a parody of Secret Agent Man, if that wasn't clear.

In fact lets just talk about kirby in general. Kirby is cool. That game with the hamster and the blob looked really fun and I want to play it. Fight me on this.

Posted

usually its everyone being hardcore around him, and then getting outshone by him, instead of kirby being tougher than them by being even more of a tool.

In fact lets just talk about kirby in general. Kirby is cool. That game with the hamster and the blob looked really fun and I want to play it. Fight me on this.

That's funny because kirby's canonically kind of a tool.

Skip to about 2:07

I believe you're talking about Kirby's Dream Land 3. It's available on the Wii's virtual console and it will be part of the Dream Collection whenever that comes out.

Posted

This kid was playing Kirby's Dream Land at preschool and acted like a douche when I asked what it was. Never heard of Kirby before that day. I asked my dad to buy me a Kirby game and the next day he brought home Kirby's Dream Land 2, the one with the friend team ups. Totally one-upped that punk at school.

I used to love Kirby, but other games have distracted me from him. I heard his newer games were fun but too easy. That's a shame.

FUN FACT: Kirby was intended to be white, and when they made color games, Nintendo wanted a colored Kirby. The original creator wanted him to be yellow but pink was used instead.

Posted

I like Kirby because he devours his enemies to gain their powers. Truly terrifying.

2980644005_f054ded7ef.jpg

But he's sooooooooooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuuuute~

Posted

A lot of the time when people talk about kirby, they always make the comment that he's so overly sexual, being a small round pink sphere that sucks and blows. Forgetting how radical of a Rorschach test result looking at a sphere that takes in air and jumping to the conclusion that it's a testicle is, I think my favorite interpretation of kirby would have to be in an internet series that aired a couple years ago called "There will be brawl." I couldn't get the actual link to the website to work, so here's a subtle alternative.

Anyways, It was a zero budget web series of films based on a dark and gritty urban world that Super Smash Bros Brawl would be set in. I remember particularly enjoying these series' ganondorf, and then realizing that in both zero budget nintendo based fan films I've seen my favorite character has been ganondorf, and wondering why the hell that was the case, and then moving on with my life.

But more importantly, Kirby in the show was

A psycho killer cannibal. One of the main antagonists. "HE'LL EAT YOU ALIVE. HE'LL DANCE AROUND IN YOUR SKIN. HE'S puppying INSANE." I'm surprised nobody else ever drew that conclusion.

It was pretty great.

Posted

played me some good ol Kirby's Dreamland when I was about 4-5 (it was released TWENTY YEARS AGO HOW U FEEL) and later some Kirby 64 wit dem crystal shards. Man, I loved that game. Even the minigames were fun as hell.

Kirby was character of choice when playing SSB with my bro and his pals. I am pretty pro with him and I don't spam down-B >:(

Posted

I've never thought of Kirby as sexual. I also didn't really care for "Let there be Brawl" but it was probably good. I didn't finish it. Kirby was neat in it though.

Posted

Kirby was always my character of choice in SSB and Melee until I realized I was better at playing with other characters. I don't know why I didn't go back to him in Brawl, he was supposed to be pretty good there.

Posted

gosh pheo what a loser

Posted

At least I bothered to make a thread about kirby

Cirt likes this

Posted

At least I bothered to make a thread about kirby

he deserves more recognition

on behalf of Double45 who never comes on the forums, he agrees

dubs is probably the biggest Kirby fan I know

Posted

And yet he refrains from posting in this thread

Posted

tumblr_ma5mfuf2gu1rw70wfo1_500.png

Posted

^That's probably... well it might be a coincidence. Although given Kirby's history of putting child-unfriendly things in its games, it was probably intentional. Especially since it's in the "Dark Matter Trilogy."

On a side note, I just started playing Kirby's Return to Dreamland a few days ago.

If my Kirby experience up until now has taught me anything, that cute little alien is going to turn out to be secretly evil.

I just found out that Kirby's dream collection is going to be rated E10+ for Animated Blood and Cartoon Violence. It seems the ESRB's finally picked up on that. And it only took them fourteen years!