emsomniac AMA

25 posts in this topic

Posted

I figured now would be a good time to start this seeing as the existing ones have had a fairly piddling post count the past few days.

So yeah, ask me anything and I will respond with probably an over-complicated, rambling answer because I have a lot of thoughts and I like it when people ask me questions.

Unless you're Pheo. Then I'll just mock you.

Posted

favorite AT character?

Posted

Honest to god question: Why do you dislike Pheo so much, or at least joke that you do?

Posted

because he's awful! (sorry, Emma)

Posted

favorite AT character?

Oh gawd, I dont know if I can actually pick one. I was gonna say tie between Bubblegum and BMO, but I'm gonna have to side with the little guy. Marceline is a close third.

Honest to god question: Why do you dislike Pheo so much, or at least joke that you do?

I gather that he sort of has the same reasoning, but I just kinda grew up with friends who sarcastically insulted each other all the time (or maybe I just did that). It was sort of a camaraderie thing back then, and I find it hilarious. I wouldn't say we're exactly friends, but I certainly don't hate him. Its more of a running gag that we hate each other.

Or maybe he does actually hate me. The world will never know.

pheonix561 and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

Why do you think I might be joking when I say I hate you

Posted

How could anyone legitimately hate me :3

Posted

Why do you think I might be joking when I say I hate you

That's not exactly denying it. 

Will you agree to a polygamous marriage between like six people?

This is mostly to determine the easy way or the hard way.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

You said you liked Blur Sky Black Death, right? What would you like recommend or like how did you get into them?

Posted (edited)

When do you think you might have become Asian, looking back on your life?

Edited by Dark_One (see edit history)
emsomniac likes this

Posted (edited)

Followup:

I don't actually remember if I had talked to pheo before my intro thread, but we've hated each other since I made an account here at least.

Will you agree to a polygamous marriage between like six people?

This is mostly to determine the easy way or the hard way.

Only if I get to be head uke. Also it might depend on the people. Maybe.

You said you liked Blue Sky Black Death, right? What would you like recommend or like how did you get into them?

Yeah Blue Sky Black Death is great, and the thing I really like is that each of their albums is vastly different from the others.

A Heap Of Broken Images is probably the most iconic album they put together, and leans more trip-hop than the rest of their stuff. On there I would recommend They Came Around, From Sun's Angle, or Scriptures if you want some more rapping. I would put the album Late Night Cinema in a similar place, and I'm just gonna say listen to all of them because I can't pick.

Also the song Skies Open because it starts off with a sound clip from the movie Primer which is great.

For The Holocaust, which has quite a bit more hip-hop in it (which I normally don't like but they do it so well), I would say Smoking Room, We All Are Well Known, and What Can The Matter Be. Dirtnap Mixtape also has a lot of rapping but I don't like enough on there to recommend my favorite.

NOIR is their newest album, and probably my favorite. They took it in an instrumental, ambient direction, which was certainly a genre they've leaned towards before but never quite did it justice. Its one of those rare albums where I enjoy every single song on it. If I had to, I would recommend Gold In Gold Out, Sleeping Children Are Still Flying, or And Stars, Ringed.

As far as similar artists - Purity Ring, Phantogram, Massive Attack, and Trentemøller come to mind first. I have a playlist with all of those, BSBD, Radiohead, Ratatat, Kashiwa Daisuke, Animal Collective, Pomplamoose. and The Airborne Toxic Event that I listen to all the time. I know that it doesn't really seem like they go together but its just a lot of stuff that isn't neccessarily upbeat or EDM.

Okay the story of how I got into it is kinda long, but it does reach a conclusion eventually I think.

Around the summer of 2010 I got in to the beta of Starcraft II. I had been playing WoW for about a year and a half at the time and was really into it, so I thought "Hey, I like games by Blizzard, this must be good". There is this ex SC1 pro who now does commentary and daily livestreams called Day[9], and when I started to get really into SC2 over the next 7-8 months I won't deny I was fangirling pretty hard over him. Like, I specifically visited the college he went to (hey, it had a good cs program anyway) when I was doing college searches junior year.

Anyway, he played a lot of music on stream, and I found that I really liked everything in his music library, and apparently a lot of other people did too, because they made a grooveshark playlist of everything he had ever played on stream. So yeah, this was early high school, and I was trying to sort of change my music tastes at the time because literally everything I listened to was electronic music and I was starting to get bored of listening to daft punk over and over again for weeks (seriously I had over 1000 plays on every song from Alive 2007 at one point), so I started listening to a bunch of stuff he liked instead and it pretty much shaped my tastes to what they are today.

He became immensely popular within the community, and because SC2 was gaining so much traction, he probably had 10-20k viewers on his livestream daily, and artists started getting angry at him for playing their music for free, so he had to stop, and the only thing he could play for a while was Blue Sky Black Death because they're cool dudes and they specifically gave him permission to do so.

So basically I just fangirled over some internet celebrity so much that it completely changed my music taste to be more like his. How shallow is that lol

Coincidentally I did this actually all again just last year again with Destiny (again, SC2 player) and started listening to Kashiwa Daisuke all the freaking time.

No regrets.

EDIT: I did warn you all that I make long rambling posts.

When do you think you might have become Asian, looking back on your life?

See above, when I became obsessed with Starcraft. It must have retroactively made me korean or something idk how time works

Edited by emsomniac (see edit history)
LLmao ?✊? and Dark_One like this

Posted

What is your favorite phenomenon?

Posted (edited)

What is your favorite phenomenon?

Uh.

This is a really vague open ended question.

Shit.

I'm gonna have to go with the strong nuclear force. Like you really cant have observable phenomena without that. Not only would matter not exist as anything but free particles, you wouldn't even have eyes in the first place. And I guess fire is cool too cause of the whole civilization thing.

I suppose I'm just happy living in a universe where things exist, I mean you may think that's not too much to ask, but there's really no good reason we can come up with to answer a "Why?" question here.

Everything just is. It could just as easily not exist.

I hope this was as metaphysical an answer as you were expecting here.

Edited by emsomniac (see edit history)

Posted

You're probably just dreaming it all up.

Posted

Nah, I actually think about the same things lol. I mean you could go even further and talk about that newfangled Higgs Boson thing, or that certain properties of physics allow conscious beings to exist and do stuff, and that we perceive it in a cool way. It's all really swell. So I guess we have that in common. Your answer was actually pretty down to earth; I don't think it counts as metaphysical, and I'm OK with that.

But hey uh. Have you come to terms with anything recently?