Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Which Series would you do differently?

18 posts in this topic

Posted

@starfox

i didnt think of it till now, but the way the dialog in that game functions is similar to kid icarus: uprising. adding more layers to their personality wouldnt be too hard then, imo, and keeping the chatting during the action makes the talking a little less dull.

@sequels/saha

there are a lot of games with bad sequels, but there are also things like the zero escape games, portal, & devil survivor. i agree though that the "gosh we gotta get a game out every year and get money" games deteriorate worse with every release. halo 4 felt nothing like the rest of the series, in a bad way. if i remember what i heard right, the team behind 4 was different from the others, i think.

on the flip side, sometimes old games can be taken far, far away from their original gameplay and be great. however, the only example of this that i can think of is kid icarus, which has already been declared a, "yeah i dont really feel like making a sequel, maybe someone else will in another 20 years" situation. i applaud them for not spitting out some garbage thing and trashing a series with a rather unique background like all those other games, but i still wish i had something to look forward to from that series sooner rather than waaaaaaaaaaaay later.

Posted

Wait, what do you mean you don't have to go to dinosaur planet/aparoids are gone? What was the Jak 2 treatment?

I'm saying, the dinosaur planet existing doesn't mean Fox has to go to it. And, if you didn't finish it, you kill all the aparoids at the end of Assault

Oh and Jak 2 treatment, right. Jak and Daxter was a very typical type of platformer, main character doesn't talk, you usually beat enmies by punching/groundpounding them, and it had a fairly simple plot with some overtones about pollution and such. Then Jak 2 introduces a crazy ass time travel plot, the main character starts talking and gets a personality, a new special form, a whole new dimension of play, etc... And 3 was like a better version of that.

Posted

I would do the Pokemon series a lot differently. I would have kept the sequels in line with the previous games. Eventually have Red as an old man, battling against your new hero in Diamond/Pearl or Black/White, whenever. Most new players wouldn't really get the reference I guess, but you could set the game up with a backstory and build Red up to be this forgotten hero. Or have him be your grandpa, or a professor, or SOMETHING. I just want to see the series have some form of continuity. Though I think they've been doing a good job with it, at least with Black and White 2. You can battle most of the Diamond/Pearl characters, can't you? And I think you can battle Red too.

Yeah, actually in Black 2 and White 2, you can fight not only Red, but every gym leader, elite 4, and champion of each previous region. They are all a bit older but not noticeably, since B2/W2 was only 2 years after B/W

What we actually know about the time line:

Gen 1 and Gen 3 happen in the same year. Then Gen 2 and Gen 4 happen 3 years later. (This was alluded to in the remakes and a bit in the original games of those gens). Then Black and White happen, but I'm not sure how much longer after Gen 2/4. Though it may happen at the same time, before, or between Gen 1-4. Then B2/W2 obviously take place 2 years after B/W. And X/Y are also pretty unknown i think. For now at least.

I really like this thread, and I'm inspired to make a "What's your Dream Game" thread. So I'ma do that!