Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nintendo's Pre-E3 Press conference feed!

40 posts in this topic

Posted

I think the original design for the zapper was much better, I also don't see how charging $19.99 for this is fair considering it's effectively a chunk of plastic where you can get a nunchuk for the same price which has numerous accelerometers in it etc...

Posted

that thing is too small it needs a stock or something

Posted

I think its good that they included a place for a Nunchuck, but your right, $20 is ridiculous.

Posted

does anyone else think there going to bring out some kind of snowboarding game or skating game or something using that wii fit mat. it could work quite well i think.

i mean that there might already working on it

Posted

[quote name='whatchyoumicallit' post='57406' date='Jul 13 2007, 02:44 AM']does anyone else think there going to bring out some kind of snowboarding game or skating game or something using that wii fit mat. it could work quite well i think.

i mean that there might already working on it[/quote]

Its likely that a third party company will try something like that. Like Tony Hawk. I can imagine using both the matt, and wiimote.

Posted

[quote name='GoronMerchant' post='57217' date='Jul 13 2007, 05:59 AM']I imagine it'd be kinda hard in a game like Wario Ware: Smooth Moves.

I don't know, the WiiZapper doesn't look that great. Kind of uncomfortable. It would make pistol whips and gun butts pretty fun though. . .

Here's an article on it (and using it for RE:UC) written by [b]Chris Kohler[/b] for WIRED.com

[i]"I don't know if there's much more that I could tell you about Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles for Wii that I didn't already tell you in my last preview. You shoot zombies. It's great.

Here's something: I don't like the Wii Zapper for this game. Capcom had it set up with the Zapper, which from all appearances is a non-electronic piece of plastic that serves as a shell to hold the Wiimote and nunchuk in a gun-shaped configuration, and it just made a smooth, comfortable game into something janky and less fun.

Basically, I don't want to hold a big oversized gun while I'm playing a game unless the game is specifically designed for it -- and even then. Playing Umbrella with the standard hand-held, dual-hand Wiimote/nunchuk combo was great, because all you needed was tiny, precise hand movements to move the targeting reticule and shoot guys in the head. Now I'm waving a gun all over, and I have to hold my hands close together and tight to my body, using my chest and arms, not my wrist, as a pivot point.

Yeah, it didn't work. Nintendo might come up with a good software package for Wii Zapper, but Umbrella Chronicles makes about as much sense as using this thing to play Zelda.

Umbrella is great, though. Can't wait for November."[/i][/quote]

Ign said this:

[i]July 12, 2007 - Nintendo's introduction of the Wii Zapper at this year's E3 was an anticipated, but not unexpected, announcement. A light gun-ish bracket for the Wiimote and Nunchuck has always been something of a no-brainer, and we've seen a number of concept designs from third party manufactures. All of those designs, however, were envisioning a one-handed pistol-looking affair in which the Nunchuck acted as the grip and the Wiimote the barrel. Nintendo, however, opted for a two handed tommy-gun design, and once we spent a few minutes blasting zombies it was easy to see why.

The cursor in RE:UC feels just about as sensitive as the cursor in the Wii's own menu system, which means it would be practically impossible to hold one's hand steady enough to make consistent headshots at distance in the game. Because there are no slow-mo moments a la Red Steel, the two-handed grip the Zapper provides is pretty much critical in keeping a steady aim.

The other benefit of the two-handed grip is the fact that it provides good access to the Nunchuck's Z and C buttons, which are used a lot in RE:UC. Though we can't envision a better arrangement, the fact that the Zapper imposes a three button limit to games is a design constraint designers will have to grapple with. In RE:UC we would have loved a dedicated reload button, as the process of flipping the cursor off the screen to reload was somewhat annoying when we couldn't get the cursor back on the screen.

The trigger on the front grip of the Zapper is not electronic, meaning pulling it physically depresses the Wiimote's underside trigger. As a result, it's not the cleanest feeling connection, and there were times when we felt like we were pulling the trigger and nothing was happening. It wasn't terrible, but we did feel like a stronger spring between the Zapper trigger and the Wiimote trigger may have stiffened up the connection and provided a better feel.

The other interesting point of the design was the fact that we naturally ended up holding the Nunchuck with our right hands and pulling the trigger with our left finger, rather opposite how we would normally shoot a gun. Though it's certainly something we expect we'll be able to get used to, we definitely noticed the difference in touch and speed we're capable of when we're not using a trained trigger finger. [/i]

Posted

supposedly TSA owner of thehylia.com got to go on e3 and play phantom hourglass for everyone...

Posted

yeah he did... lucky ******* :unsure:

Posted

I definately want to see a game using both the wiimote and the matt, problem is, by the looks of the layout, something like that would be two players max :(

Posted

Crap.

IGN asked Miyamoto and Aonuma if they were planning a new Zelda Wii and here were their replies:

Aonuma [i]

Posted

well, they can't clearly say "yes we're working on one" because that would be announcing it effectively, which they wouldn;t want to do until its much furthur into production.

Posted

yes, I'm pretty sure we'll see another zelda game on the wii.

Posted

Well of course we will, but apparently not for awhile. A long while.

Posted

I'm guessing 3 years... in another e3 interview with Shiggy, they asked him about zeldawii, and he said that a zelda game takes about 3 years to make, since they've been working on it for 1 year already I guess it's gonna take another 3 years. because it's Zelda it's quality so it will probably get delayed...

Posted

But they could at least give us an early trailer.