Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Theremin!

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to take some time to introduce you to a nifty little device called a theremin (th-er-a-min).

What is a theremin you ask?

Well its one of the earliest electronical musical instruments, invented 1919, and also the first ever instrument that was playable without touching it. It has two antenna's emitting an electromagnetic field and by moving your hands around these antenna, you can alter the theremins frequency (pitch) and amplitude (volume). it's really easy to learn but extremely difficult to master.

in music it has been used by a large amount of artists, if you know the Beach Boys, their song 'Good Vibrations' uses an electro-theremin (not an actual theremin, but an instrument used to mimic the theremin sound), as well as the Marilyn Manson song 'Dope Hat'. Due to its strange and eerie vibrating sound it is often associated with spacy / sci-fi movies

Now, I wouldnt tell you all this without being able to show you what it sounds like, so here you go - the theremin playing a song we should all know very well.

I posted this because it is an instrument that hardly anyone has ever heard of.. but IMO it should be more popular..

from what I understand, they are pretty expensive to buy, but apparently arnt too expensive to make one yourself.

and if you're interested, the wikipedia for the theremin can be found here.

Posted

its hard to believe that thing acualy makes sound :| took me a while b4 i say the persons right hand move a small but to change the volume of it or wateva the hand did.

Posted

That thing is sick :wacko:

Posted

As cool as this is, i still need to get myself a Hurdy-Gurdy. :biggrin:

Posted

I've seen the video before, didn't exactly know what a theramin was so I searched it on wikipedia. They are wicked cool. :D

Posted

here is a very good example it's a video...

Posted

Haha Tappy that was the exact video i have in my post.. though I have the link in the post cos I couldnt work out how to put the actual video into the post. maybe im just silly :P

Posted

I love these things, they are the forerunner to modern synthesized music; and they definately don't get the credit they deserve.

I actually built my own a couple of months ago.

It cost around $50 AUD for the parts, and took like 3-4 hours to make. But it's so awesome! :joy:

Posted

I love these things, they are the forerunner to modern synthesized music; and they definately don't get the credit they deserve.

It cost around $50 AUD for the parts, and took like 3-4 hours to make. But it's so awesome! :joy:

wow that's awesome! I would love to have one myself!

Posted

I know of a kit (I stupidly didn't use it though :embarrassed: ),

From your geographic location though, I'll give you the British page:

kit

built and tested

Posted

Can you play the main theme from LoZ yet?

Posted

Just because I bulit it, doesn't mean I can play it :D .