Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hyrule Online (2D) Going Open Source - Includes sprites and tilesheets (some at least)

63 posts in this topic

Posted

[quote name='UltimateZeldaFan' post='135315' date='Apr 3 2008, 03:28 PM']Guys, we can't have the actual characters like Link, Zelda, Ganon, etc. because we have to keep it [b]general[/b]. If we have those characters, people will say things like "OMG! I AM TEH LINK! HEY!!! YOU ARE NOT LINK, I AM!!!!". So we need to keep it simple and general. My idea is to have different races (Kokiri, Hylian, Zora, Goron) and different genders (Male or Female). So that when people pick male Kokiri they get just a normal male Kokiri. Not Link. We can still have Link, Zelda and other characters. They'll just have to be NPCs (Non Playable Character).[/quote]

That was the most lame statement so far. Of course you can have Link as a actual character! I've played 2 or 3 other Zelda online games and it have worked out all fine starting with Link as your character!

In one of the first games, you had special abilities depending on which color you chose when you created your character. Red Link was power, Blue Link was mage and Green Link was a balance between both of them.

In one of those early games I played, you can go to a sprite-shop and change your skin for a small amount of rupees. That's one way to solve it. I really think you should have the Link sprite to begin with. From my experience of Zelda online games, I've never encountered even one player running around saying "OMG! I AM TEH LINK!" etc. etc.

I'm not saying that I want any those things in this game, I'm just showing you how the other developers have solved the problem to be able to have Link as an actual playing character.

I vote for starting with the Link skin.

Yours MarkiiiE

Posted

[quote name='MarkiiiE' post='136315' date='Apr 7 2008, 05:36 PM']I vote for starting with the Link skin.[/quote]
i agree :D

Posted

I would help, but I'm working on other games which will hopefully contribute to hyrule.net (if they get finished :unsure: )