Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

California's recent Earthquake

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Earlier today, Southern California (Around Chino, Norco, Corona etc) had a 5.8 Earthquake. Did anyone feel it?

-------------------

I felt it around 11:45am. During my school hours. At First we thought another Class was doing something that involved stomping and making a lot of noise. Then, as it started to get bigger, we all got under our desks, and the usual technique that schools want you to when an earthquake.

This news was on MSN.com

"The 5.4-magnitude quake — considered moderate — was felt from Los Angeles to San Diego, and as far east as Las Vegas, 230 miles away. Nearly 30 aftershocks quickly followed, the largest estimated at 3.8.

The quake was centered 29 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles near Chino Hills, a San Bernardino County city of 80,000 built mostly in the early 1990s with the latest in earthquake-resistant technology.

Buildings swayed in downtown Los Angeles for several seconds, leading to the evacuation of some offices.

As strong as it felt, Tuesday's quake was far less powerful than the deadly magnitude-6.7 Northridge earthquake that topped bridges and buildings on Jan. 17, 1994. That was the last damaging temblor in Southern California, though not the biggest. A 7.1 quake struck the desert in 1999.

The earthquake had about 1 percent of the energy of the Northridge quake, said Thomas Heaton, director of the earthquake engineering and research laboratory at the California Institute of Technology.

'People have forgotten, I think, what earthquakes feel like," said Kate Hutton, a seismologist at Caltech. "So I think we should probably look at it as an earthquake drill. ... It's a drill for the `Big One' that will be coming some day.'

0729081743_M_quake2_450.jpg

July 29: A computer monitor shows seismic activity at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, Calif. A strong earthquake shook Southern California causing buildings to sway and triggering some precautionary evacuations. The jolt was felt from Los Angeles to San Diego, and slightly in Las Vegas.

Edited by Link Player (see edit history)

Posted

It's epicenter was in Chino Hills.

It wasn't that bad. only a 5.4. A little one. The only thing that fell down was my lighter.

Posted

I felt it while I was showering... :embarrassed:

But yeah, it wasn't that strong outside Chino Hills, even though I'm not that far away from there.

A friend on myspace messaged me that his rooftop collapsed due to the quake.

Posted

I didn't even feel anything, and after watching so many people rave about it on the news and on MySpace, I was kind of mad that I didn't. I was watching my sister play The World Ends With You in the living room, and then all of a sudden my brother came in this giant grin on his face like, "Did you feel that!?"

And we were like, "...Feel what?"

Then he looked at us like we were crazy and said, "The earthquake!"

And I raised an eyebrow and asked, "...What earthquake?"

Then his smile faded and was like, "Forget it", and walked back to his room.

I guess I was his killjoy. XD

Posted (edited)

I didn't even feel anything, and after watching so many people rave about it on the news and on MySpace, I was kind of mad that I didn't. I was watching my sister play The World Ends With You in the living room, and then all of a sudden my brother came in this giant grin on his face like, "Did you feel that!?"

And we were like, "...Feel what?"

Then he looked at us like we were crazy and said, "The earthquake!"

And I raised an eyebrow and asked, "...What earthquake?"

Then his smile faded and was like, "Forget it", and walked back to his room.

I guess I was his killjoy. XD

I felt one a few minutes ago.

An earthquake.

In Australia.

I was like "wtf?".

Then I saw my sister bein' an idiot.

She was standing at my door stomping her feetz.

So I shot her.

Oh yah, no earthquake, it was partly my sister, partly my cat knocking stuff off my shelveseses.

EDIT: LLLOLLOLOLLLOLLLOOLOL 700TH POST.

Edited by Lemo (see edit history)

Posted

there's something in the way...

Posted

there's something in the way...

:o

In or on?

Damned typos can be so annoying! :(

Posted

this was nothing considered to the 6.4 I was in back in like 2003 or so couple days before christmas. (San Simeon Earthquake)

Posted

There was an earthquake in California? I should watch the news...

Posted

There was an earthquake in California? I should watch the news...

*Slaps self in face sarcastically. Shakes head*

This happened quite a while ago. Keep up with the times. :P